Annoying fisherman

Yamanx

Featured Posts

I think this whole inter-forum exchanging of views is a great idea!

Often when im passing anglers im left wondering the best way to pass, and what there thinking once ive passed. There just seams to be very little information or understanding bettween boaters as the right thing to do.

- And i two have certainly been guilty of the seamingly infamouns "im going on the far side to give you room" routine.

Simuarly, i think its good to give the fisherman some information from our side as well.

- Although some of them will have hired a NB, but given the number people on here who have fished signifactly often, they are proberbly in the minoraty. - And learning a little more about each other is probebly no bad thing.

Forinstance, the fact that narrowboat have little steerage at slow speeds. (espically we decelerating)

- And for some tight bends, almost the only way to get some boats around them is to accelerate though them.

- Also that turning the right, is often significatly more difficult that stearing to the left. (which looped back to having to accerate round bends).

Also, while i take the points about "preaching to the converted", it might also be worth while puting a line in about fishing from (or near) lock moorings. And the fact that we do need to use them.

- Sounds obvouse to us, but a boat is not like a car. You cannot just put the handbreak on an wait in the middle of the the channel. Espicailly with the weir/bywash runing just to the lock entrace. Be that top or bottom.

I think it might be an idea to post a link to this thread, it is a bit random in places, and does start of a little as "we hate you all", but i think its fairly obvouse thats not really the case. And that we actually just a load of 'crasy hippy foke' , who are actaully quite freindly realy!!

Daniel

In general, I have had no problems with anglers. I always try to give them a smile and a wave but, unlike other boaters, most don't respond. No probs - their choice. I steer a central course and reduce speed.

However, the only issues I have had concern the point above about anglers fishing at a lock's mooring bollards. I have had several heated exchanges with anglers over the years. The offenders have no concept, it seems, of what it takes to stop a boat or the relative lack of manoeuvrability. Worse, fishing clubs don't seem to educate anglers as to what this mooring area is for nor do they emphasise that anglers shouldn't fish there. The abusive anglers can't read either as their anorak is usually hung over the "No Fishing" sign. The stroppy ones suggest (!) I moor elsewhere and have no understanding of locking.

On the basis that it is easier for the angler to move than negotiate many tons of boat, (and he's in the wrong place anyway) I steer slowly towards the bollards, gently tooting my horn a couple of times if the angler doesn't appear to be reacting in order to get his attention. Ninety percent of the time, the angler simply moves his gear out of the water and there's no problem. The other ten percent of the time the angler ultimately moves before his gear is squished.

Chris

This is very interesting, I would be interested to know what they thought about fishing by the bollards at the lock mooring point, as indicated in my picture.

I have also registed on the fishing forum and raised that point with them. As well a breifly explaning about how somtimes it is nessaary to keep a certain amount of way on in order to maintain stearage

Heres that link again.

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/other_..._v_boaters.html

Daniel

Frankly, I don't see the problem, so long as they realise what the white bollards are for and back away if a boat wants to use them. I've fished around locks and sluices myself.

I've not got the balls to link them back here. If you fancy sticking your neck out, go right ahead.

I must say - they are much better at having a reasonable and proper discussion than we are! I was absolutely sure we could fish off our boats with only a rod licence, and I also wasn't sure where to put my boat when going past fishermen - I always ended going down the middle, but I know a couple of times at the beginning I didn't and some shouted at me, but I couldnt hear them - I suppose they were telling me, quite rightly, where it was best to go.

Fishermen are lovely. Incidently - the first morning I was on the boat, it was about 5am and I stumbled out of bed, via the kettle and went on deck for a cuppa, as soon as I got out of the front doors I noticed the bank had been taken over by fishermen. I made a hasty retreat, got dressed properly and then went out with a cuppa. I gave a couple of the fishermen a cuppa later in the day - especially one who had just come from the heat of a holiday and was really cold.

Okay, so who watched WaterWorld? :D

There was a great long section all about anglers and boaters :D

I don't think they said anything that we haven't in the last couple of days, but the timing was spot on :D

There was a great long section all about anglers and boaters

I'm afraid I don't have Sky, so I missed out. Did however watch Locks and Quays on Granada TV. I think I'll be fishing at Salford Quays next time we're there! That was a nice little perch he was holding! Very good to see how they're improving the water quality. We saw the oxygenators in action last time we were there. Their initiative has obviously worked.

It's not all grim oop North!

Janet

Hi there, an interesting topic that has also been posted on www.anglersnet.com.

Its an interesting one for me on a number of counts. Firstly, I'm an angler, secondly I sail and boat on the Broads, and thirdly, I sit on the Broads Authority Navigation Committee representing angling. I hear all the grouses, and see the letters of complaint. Most of the issues that relate to the Broads are the same as on the canals. Anglers hogging moorings, anglers leaving rubbish, anglers and screeching bite indicators, anglers with their long poles, anglers swearing, anglers camping on the bank, anglers urinating on the bank, anglers being noisy throughout the night and so on.

I also see it the other way, boats speeding, boats mooring on top of anglers when there is alternative mooring nearby, boaters partying until the early hours, boaters emptying toilets over the side, boaters pushing litter behind shuttering, boaters spreading all their gear over the bank, boaters swearing, boaters mooring to angling platforms and so on. We have good and bad on both sides of the fence.

Yes, we both have bad apples in our baskets!

So, whats the answer? On the Broads we have a formal angling consultative that the Broads Authority actually listens to. We also have a users forum where both sides can talk and listen, and find a satisfactory answer. We also have an Authority that encourages anglers, with a view to reducing rifts. Anglers are invited to boaters meetings, and vice versa.

Okay, so there are still problems, but these largely come from a complete lack of understanding of the others' ways and requirements.

But there is still a major problem, and that is not down to either angling or boating as such, its down to society and the way so many are not even dragged up, they are simply left to find their own way in life. Consideration, respect, manners, unheard of terms to many folk.

But lets be honest, on both sides of the fence the majority are a joy to share this world with. Just a pity about the unsavoury minority!

Go slowly, stick to the centre line, and us anglers will love you, mmmmmmmmmwwwaaaaaaaaaa! :D :D

But lets be honest, on both sides of the fence the majority are a joy to share this world with. Just a pity about the unsavoury minority!

Go slowly, stick to the centre line, and us anglers will love you, mmmmmmmmmwwwaaaaaaaaaa! :D :D

Welcome aboard! That is all very helpful and certainly reflects the conclusion that I think most, if not all of us, here had reached. With such a wealth of experience, it would be nice if 'Friendly Angler' could stay on this forum and continue to contribute.

Hi there, an interesting topic that has also been posted on www.anglersnet.com.

Its an interesting one for me on a number of counts. Firstly, I'm an angler, secondly I sail and boat on the Broads, and thirdly, I sit on the Broads Authority Navigation Committee representing angling. I hear all the grouses, and see the letters of complaint. Most of the issues that relate to the Broads are the same as on the canals. Anglers hogging moorings, anglers leaving rubbish, anglers and screeching bite indicators, anglers with their long poles, anglers swearing, anglers camping on the bank, anglers urinating on the bank, anglers being noisy throughout the night and so on.

I also see it the other way, boats speeding, boats mooring on top of anglers when there is alternative mooring nearby, boaters partying until the early hours, boaters emptying toilets over the side, boaters pushing litter behind shuttering, boaters spreading all their gear over the bank, boaters swearing, boaters mooring to angling platforms and so on. We have good and bad on both sides of the fence.

Yes, we both have bad apples in our baskets!

So, whats the answer? On the Broads we have a formal angling consultative that the Broads Authority actually listens to. We also have a users forum where both sides can talk and listen, and find a satisfactory answer. We also have an Authority that encourages anglers, with a view to reducing rifts. Anglers are invited to boaters meetings, and vice versa.

Okay, so there are still problems, but these largely come from a complete lack of understanding of the others' ways and requirements.

But there is still a major problem, and that is not down to either angling or boating as such, its down to society and the way so many are not even dragged up, they are simply left to find their own way in life. Consideration, respect, manners, unheard of terms to many folk.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your ideas. Your comments are very true.

Friendly angler - many thanks for your response.

Moley - I posted this on your behalf on another site, knowing it had a huge and active membership, as I knew we'd get considered responses from most of the members.

Thanks Friendly Angler. You couldn't have said it better.

Janet

Edited for spelling mistake. I don't do spelling mistakes!

Edited by Janet S

Thanks for the welcome, appreciated. Having had the odd holiday on the Oxford Canal, and having a great interest in the folk art of the canals I might just hang around.

Our style of boating differs just a tad from yours though! Our old girl, 99 years old this summer, carries a gaff rigged sail and no motor. Speeds can vary from drifting backwards with the tide to pushing along in front of a gale. As for locks, we only have one set, at Oulton Broad where I live. And our boats are shorter than yours, mine is 28 feet over the waterline, and my toll is only £170.00!

This is very interesting, I would be interested to know what they thought about fishing by the bollards at the lock mooring point as indicated in my picture.

I could go and ask them myself of course but you're doing a grand job as Canal World ambassador and It may seem like an invasion tactic :D

Hi thought I would give you an anglers view of the picture you posted, whilst its not clear to me that its a lock I can see the bollards that i assume is the mooring positions, I can not see any notices requesting anglers not to fish there, maybe they are fixed to the bridge, what I do see is a footpath coming out of the wooded area behind the first angler, who may just be too lazy to walk any further he may of course have a disability that prevents him going much further, From the set up of their equiptment they seem to be pleasure fisherman, thats only a guess but assuming they are they may not belong to a club or fish matches regulary where many of us gain information and guidance, as a clubman I know that on our stretch of canal certain areas are no go for us because of boat moorings, turnings etc. I also know that boats are seen by anglers as a feature to fish to especially in winter where big carp tend to over winter hence the guys with buzzers which I know can be a bit of a pain.

In general terms I have never had problems with boaters but then a smile and a goodmorning is all thats needed, and of course a sooner rather than latter removal of my tackle prevents a confrontation, I can also see an anglers point of view especially the matchman who cant pick his peg and has to fish at an allocated position, having built up his swim to find that lots of boats suddenly move the fish, he of course may not want to exchange good mornings after 20 or 30 boats have gone through, as has been said the best line for a boat to take when anglers are present is towards the middle as the far shelf is often where the fish are or back off to and where there may be a features to fish to in the shape of reed beds or over hanging trees. By the way we are quite happy to see a boat or two in winter which helps to put a bit of colour back in the water and often spurs the fish into feeding.

I might just hang around

Please do so!

Your boat sounds very interesting. Tell us more! This site may be called Canal World, but we have boaters of every description on here, not always restricted to canals, and some of us with only little boats but big dreams.

What we all share is an interest in our waterways.

Janet

Hi thought I would give you an anglers view of the picture you posted, whilst its not clear to me that its a lock I can see the bollards that i assume is the mooring positions, I can not see any notices requesting anglers not to fish there, maybe they are fixed to the bridge, ...........

As an angler you will be familiar with the Waterways Code issued by BW. In the section for anglers it points out that boats need room to manouvre at lock approaches and specifically asks that anglers do not fish within 25 metres of any lock. In the photo it would have been very obvious to the anglers that they are within 25 metres of a lock - thats why the bollards are there.

There is no need to have a sign and in any case would one have made any difference. Like many other boaters I can speak of anglers who fish right under power cables despite this being specifically prohibited by three signs at each site.

Howard Anguish

Typical, I dozed off around 10pm last night and missed all the fun.

Brian and Friendly Angler, welcome to the forum and sincere thanks for your input.

I've not had chance this morning to look at the angling forums (fora, fori, can we have a definitive answer please?) but will go and look forthwith.

Ade.

Janet, if I knew how I would post a picture! The old girl is just the typical, vintage, low draught sailing cruiser that were developed for the Broads. You have your narrowboats that were developed for the canals, our sailing cruisers developed in the same way for the Broads.

I noticed someones comment about fishing within 25m of locks. We have a similar situation on the Broads but with numerous fixed bridges, the rag and stick brigade need to be able to lower their masts which are counter balanced and sit in a tabernacle so that they swing down and up very easily. We have notices pointing out that the yachts have priority at those points and I have to say that I find anglers fishing there are generally friendly and keen to take mooring ropes and so on, basically to help us on our way as fast as possible!

Howardang, I have been an angler for over 50 years and in that time have undertook many roles within fishing clubs and associations, I have to say that I have never seen or heard of the British Waterways Code, this despite several of those clubs renting water from BWB, it was also most noticeable that angling is not even mentioned on the BWB web site at least the last time I looked, so what chance does a non clubman have of seeing one he sure dont get one with his licence, and neither does he get one issued with a day ticket, but then you can bet that the code is probably common sense something we are not all blessed with.

I would have thought that as the problem seems to revolve around locks that the problem should be reported to the lock keeper thus avoiding confrontation between angler and boater or does BWB only pay lip service to boaters as they seem to do with anglers.

As an angler you will be familiar with the Waterways Code (pdf) issued by BW. In the section for anglers it points out that boats need room to manouvre at lock approaches and specifically asks that anglers do not fish within 25 metres of any lock. In the photo it would have been very obvious to the anglers that they are within 25 metres of a lock - thats why the bollards are there.

Yes indeed, and I've edited that quote with a clickable link (well, I had to go and find it to re-read it myself).

But, an issue seems to have arisen over fishing licences and day tickets.

Now then, I assumed that, provided I have a valid Environment Agency rod licence (which I do), I was entitled to fish from my boat wherever we happened to be moored (and John Orentas stated the same in the old topic which has just been nudged). After all, the angling Clubs may lease towpath fishing rights but I'm not on the towpath, and we've already paid for the water so why should I pay again?

From the fishing forums it appears that might be totally wrong. Someone has quoted BW by-laws and one says you mustn't fish from your boat

I've read my licence terms, I've read our mooring terms, I've read the Waterways Code and there's no mention of boaters fishing, but I don't think I've ever read the by-laws, and have certainly never been issued with any by BW. I can't even find them to download from BW or Waterscape. Anybody know where I can find 'em or what the official position is?

edit: cross-posted with Brian G.

It appears that Brian has also noticed that BW aren't always the most efficient organisation.

I told you those fisher-folk were intuitive :D

Edited by Moley

Howardang, I have been an angler for over 50 years and in that time have undertook many roles within fishing clubs and associations, I have to say that I have never seen or heard of the British Waterways Code, this despite several of those clubs renting water from BWB, it was also most noticeable that angling is not even mentioned on the BWB web site at least the last time I looked, so what chance does a non clubman have of seeing one he sure dont get one with his licence, and neither does he get one issued with a day ticket, but then you can bet that the code is probably common sense something we are not all blessed with.

I would have thought that as the problem seems to revolve around locks that the problem should be reported to the lock keeper thus avoiding confrontation between angler and boater or does BWB only pay lip service to boaters as they seem to do with anglers.

with the cutbacks(BW)of late, the only locks that are manned these days Brian, are the busy flights of locks, or places that are "trouble" areas....

as you say.... obviously BW haven't done much to promote the fact.... Hmmmmmmm.... just goes to show you that because you think someone knows...they don't always necessarily do..... :D

its like a lot of instances in life.... people don't always think....mostly,things arn't done out of malice, infact, speaking personally, i admit to birds fluttering about in my skull most of the time....sometimes it scares me even!!!!

i think that maybe, we are too quick to think the worst of people, anrn't we? in all areas of life...........

:D

I've ever read the by-laws, and have certainly never been issued with any by BW. I can't even find them to download from BW or Waterscape. Anybody know where I can find 'em or what the official position is?

This is often the case with by-laws and one of the reasons why they are not effective.

The argument that "ignorence of the law is no defence" - so often tripped out becomes a nonsense when it proves impossible to find out exactly what the law is. Nevertheless, people have been prosecuted for breaches of BWB by-laws - so someone, somewhere must know what they are!

If anyone from BW is reading this forum perhaps they can advise us where we can read them - even better it could be arranged for them to be posted as a .pdf on their website.