Double glazing

heyjude999

Featured Posts

I am thinking of double glazing.

Anyone any recommendations?

Any idea of costs?

I thought I had seen ad's in Towpath mag but cannot see anyone advertising this month.

Want a proper job not home made.

Many thanks in advance.

My boat is double glazed it stops condensation on the windows but not the frames. My last boat I fitted caravan double glazing in it UPVC and light oak in colour far better than my new boat, but on the bank had mixed reviews some loved it other hated it but for me it was the best no condensation and wide opening windows in the summer.

Peter

Channel Glaze make double glazed units for boats. www.channel glaze.com

Another option is secondary double glazing using something like 4 or 6mm polycarbonate sheets cut to fit your windows which can be removed in summer.

I have no direct experience of double glazed units for boats but have heard they can suffer from the natural flexing of the boat structure. Also the frames, being metal can suffer from condensation.

Ken

We use secondary glazing, 3/4mm sheet and magnetic strip, works better than real double glazing as there is no condensation at all. Search the forum as somewhere there is a well written article by Roger Gunkel

I am thinking of double glazing.

Anyone any recommendations?

Any idea of costs?

I thought I had seen ad's in Towpath mag but cannot see anyone advertising this month.

Want a proper job not home made.

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.caldwellswindows.co.uk/narrowboat.html

They ain't cheap though.

Forgot to add: They are in Wigan

Edited by Androo

To give you a rough idea of cost, the double glazed windows I've ordered for my sailaway are to be supplied by Channelglaze & the prices quoted by the shell builder are:

42" x 24", gold/black drop back vent - £295 each

36" x 24", gold/black drop back vent - £290 each

15" gold/black drop back vent portholes - £220 each

Of course this might not be what you get quoted direct, as those prices were obtained by the shell builder, but you should be somewhere in the ball park hopefully.

Edited by Spuds

Recently painted a boat where the owner replaced the windows with DG. The windows were spray painted with the same colour as the new paint job.

3 large and 2 small coach style windows each side and two bespoke front facing side windows either side of the front doors.

£4.5k

I put the plastic film on my windows last winter; cost £10 and no condensation on either the glass or the frame. I still have it on now and considering just leaving it through summer and beyond as it still looks ok. Will see how hot it gets.

Edited to add,this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulating-Windows-Transparent-Metre-Maximum/dp/B0038JE7X6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404075636&sr=8-6&keywords=film+double+glazing

Edited by rgreg

Yes - a little but not very often (as we have a dehumidifier running in very humid cold weather)

But even when the dehumidifier is not running, even, there's not a lot of condensation, (unless we're drying washing in the saloon!)

Fair enough but for cost I will stay with my system, no condensation ever, even when drying washing, and no dehumidifier running either. Edited by Loddon

• 5 months later...

We have ordered double glazed units for our boat.

The current windows are 5 years old early next year and in very good order. Thye were made by Wesley Windows of Newark.

There are 5 sliding windows and 4 x 18 in portholes these are split with a hopper.

There are also 2 bulkhead windows for the front doors.

We are expecting a staggered delivery in January/ February time.

If you know anyone who is planning ahead and may be interested please let me know.

Many thanks

I have sealed units mounted inside handmade teak window frames. No condensation on the frames, or the inside of the glass. but... they seem to lose their vacuum and I get condensation between the two pieces of glass. I don't know if this is normal or if it is to do with being on a boat which moves, a bit, if whacked into the side of a lock. not that I do that but the whole boat is flexible to an extent.

or do sealed units just have a 'life' :rolleyes:

boat is about 18 years old and some may be original others have been replaced

I had been wondering, yesterday in fact, if it were worth getting replacement sealed units or just get 10mm glass cut to fit and do that instead - maybe that would be significantly more expensive.

I seem to be getting a bit of condensation between my window and secondary on one side of the boat.Think there might be a leak in the rubber seal and water collecting in the drain channel.I am not very bothered because i can not believe the amount of heat now retained and the cut in fuel spending.I am very happy with them on a 57x 10..

Misting of sealed double glazing units is a known problem. If you look at a DG window you can see a perforated aluminium strip around th edges between the panes. Behind this is a dessicant which is there to remove moisture trapped in the unit when first manufactured, and for a period thereafter. The edge seals are not completely vapour tight, and so moisture does get in, and once the dessicant is 'full' then misting will occur. The only cure is to replace the unit.

Moisture ingress is much slower if the edges of the unit are kept dry. In a proper installation the edges of the unit are held away from the window frames by spacers, and the void at the bottom is drained to the outside. If the unit edge is in contact with the frame and permanently damp, then misting will occur much sooner.

Misting of sealed double glazing units is a known problem. If you look at a DG window you can see a perforated aluminium strip around th edges between the panes. Behind this is a dessicant which is there to remove moisture trapped in the unit when first manufactured, and for a period thereafter. The edge seals are not completely vapour tight, and so moisture does get in, and once the dessicant is 'full' then misting will occur. The only cure is to replace the unit.

Moisture ingress is much slower if the edges of the unit are kept dry. In a proper installation the edges of the unit are held away from the window frames by spacers, and the void at the bottom is drained to the outside. If the unit edge is in contact with the frame and permanently damp, then misting will occur much sooner.

David,sorry i didnt make myself clear,i have secondary double glazing as opposed to double glazing.