Leicester ring

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi all it's just over a week before we start the Leicester ring so i would like to ask if anyone could give us tips on where to visit and where to stop / not stop on a night

Is there any problems with the river section that would stop us and hold us up

Also what is the best pub's to visit for meals and DRINKS

we have 14 days to do it is this long enough ?

Graham

Hi all it's just over a week before we start the Leicester ring so i would like to ask if anyone could give us tips on where to visit and where to stop / not stop on a night

Is there any problems with the river section that would stop us and hold us up

Also what is the best pub's to visit for meals and DRINKS

we have 14 days to do it is this long enough ?

Graham

14 days is more than enough, which way are you planning on doing it? We took soundings on here and did it anti clockwise starting and finishing at Napton. Doing it that way means going downhill after Foxton when you reach the wide double locks, it just made it a bit easier as we did that bit on our own.

There are no places to particularly avoid though we avoided Leicester over night, again after taking soundings on here. We stopped at Thurmaston opposite MGM narrow boats and got no truck what so ever.

The Soar is beautiful and the ring is worth doing just for that bit, but it can rise quite quickly so keep an eye on the weather, if it rains you may find you can't get onto the river sections for a day or two which will eat into your holiday.

If it does rain check the indicator boards at the bottom of each lock, if they are on red don't proceed through the lock, wait until it drops into the orange at least.

Spend a night in Zouches cut, The Rose and Crown at the end is worth a visit.

Willington is worth stoping at and there a couple of decent pubs in the village, the same goes for Alrewas.

Enjoy!

Can i ask did you stop in Leicester over night and if yes where about's did you Moore

Most people seem to say Castle gardens are safe, as they are locked. They aren't very long though so space is at a premium, ISTR the reason we didn't moor there was there wasn't enough room for our 50ft hire boat.

We opted to press on.

14 days is more than enough, which way are you planning on doing it? We took soundings on here and did it anti clockwise starting and finishing at Napton. Doing it that way means going downhill after Foxton when you reach the wide double locks, it just made it a bit easier as we did that bit on our own.

There are no places to particularly avoid though we avoided Leicester over night, again after taking soundings on here. We stopped at Thurmaston opposite MGM narrow boats and got no truck what so ever.

The Soar is beautiful and the ring is worth doing just for that bit, but it can rise quite quickly so keep an eye on the weather, if it rains you may find you can't get onto the river sections for a day or two which will eat into your holiday.

If it does rain check the indicator boards at the bottom of each lock, if they are on red don't proceed through the lock, wait until it drops into the orange at least.

Spend a night in Zouches cut, The Rose and Crown at the end is worth a visit.

Willington is worth stoping at and there a couple of decent pubs in the village, the same goes for Alrewas.

Enjoy!

Hi Martin we are going to do it anti-clockwise as you did.

thank's for the info if you can think of any thing else please post it for me

thanks

Graham

Most people seem to say Castle gardens are safe, as they are locked. They aren't very long though so space is at a premium, ISTR the reason we didn't moor there was there wasn't enough room for our 50ft hire boat.

We opted to press on.

If there is no room to stop at castle gardens how far would we have to go to the next safe place to stop time and miles please

thanks graham

If there is no room to stop at castle gardens how far would we have to go to the next safe place to stop time and miles please

thanks graham

We pressed on to Thurmaston which from memory was about and hour and a half further on. Others may be happy stopping before then.

Outside of the stretch Kilby Bridge to Syston (bridge 19-ish) / Watermead country park, is considered totally safe. If you want to overnight inside that zone (which is a full day's cruising) you just need to be a bit more careful. Personally I wouldn't overnight between Glen Parva and Syston, except for the city centre pontoons at castle gardens, but others will be less cautious.

Since you have plenty of time, do venture up the Welford branch - very tranquil and nice pub at the end.

Don't forget that Foxton and Watford Locks have limited opening times.

Edited by nicknorman

We moored at Castle gardens recently, had to breast up but was all good and a short walk to shops and city restaurants which are excellent. Boats were moored opposite and seemed quite happy, it was mid week. Also I recommend a night at Crick for selection of pubs with food.

ian

Ian

It's quite acceptable to moor abreast at Castle Gardens. When we last went, everyone was very helpful and even prepared to move up a bit.

You just have to ask ('cos peeps often look away if you're passing)

• The City is well worth a visit -
  • Cathedral - where are they going to put King Richard?
  • Large covered market and the 'ethnic' vegetables are good quality
  • Small museums near the ends of the mooring
  • Real puffer trains (forgot the name of the line) near the Roman Remains
  • Relatively quiet at night.
  • Couldn't get a satellite or terrestrial signal
  • Said to be good curries around, didn't try the pubs
  • Science Place is really for kids, but the pumping house has some possibilities (best to walk or bus to these)
  • Loughborough has a bell foundry - worth a visit

None of this may be to your taste, though...

A few additional side trip possibilities if you find you have time are the Market Harborough arm once you have descended the Foxton flight. Moor outside the basin if you want to avoid mooring charges. If you find you have a little spare time coming down the Coventry section, continuing into Coventry basin rather than turning left onto the North Oxford at Hawkesbury Junction is worth it. Although the couple of hours it takes each way can be a little uninspiring, a visit to the old and new cathedral and the motor museum for a little cultural diversion. Good overnight mooring in the basin. If that doesn't appeal then I can thoroughly recommend visiting the Ashby canal. Good moorings close to Bosworth battlefield (Richard III) and Shackerstone steam railway.

Ken

I'll 2nd adding the market Harbourgh arm and the Coventry basin. We did it clockwise but I can see the advantages of doing it the other way.

Stop before the chain bridge in Loughborough, the basin is good for facilities but not for mooring overnight.

Hi Graham

We came back last week having done the ring in 2 weeks - plenty of time to do it. We went anticlockwise (from Stockton / Napton). The weather was a bit unpredictable & we were worried about the rivers so we ploughed on with longish days until we'd crossed the Trent then relaxed a bit for the 2nd week ( we're not ones for early starts if we can help it!). We just managed to get through the Soar before the lights turned red & whilst it was a bit "choppy" on the Trent it was a beautiful evening & an amazing experience.

We moored ate & drank in -

Braunston, - tried to get into the Admiral Nelson but they were busy & had stopped serving food early so it was back to the boat for an unscheduled home cooked meal. Not the ideal start but we were fortunately well stocked with drink as well as food!!!

Crick - a walk up to the village & drinks in the Wheatsheaf then food in the Red Lion - beer good, food OK - all "home cooked" & popular with the locals

Foxton - moored before the bridge & had a walk down to the pub - Bridge 61 - a must for its uniqueness! The Foxton Locks Inn was very very busy (Sunday evening) so we gave that a miss. Back to the boat for a Sunday Roast.

Kilby Bridge,- stopped here before going through Leicester & had a meal in The Navigation - good beer & the largest gammon & pineapple I've ever seen!!

Travelled straight through Leicester without stopping. We shared the locks and seemed sensible to stick with them because the locks were quite a bit of work. Another boat left Kilby with us & they got the last mooring in a Castle Gardens around lunchtime.

Birstall - handy place to stay after a long day & a good pub a minute from the moorings - The White Horse; we didn't eat there but the menus looked good.

Loughborogh - we were going to stop before Loughborough but the River was rising & the CRT guy at Mountsorrel said that we'd be the last boat through Pillings that afternoon so decided to go for it!!! Went to Weatherspoons in the evening!!

Shardlow - a bit of an adventure along the Soar & Trent. Shardwell's a lovely place to stop & well deserved beer & food in The Clockwarehouse - a Marston,s "eating" pub

Burton - again a bit worried about the weather & getting through to Alrewas so went to a Burton to reduce the next days travelling. Not really somewhere we'd choose to go to again - best I think to go on to Branston - The Bridge looked a good place for refreshments.

Fradley Junction - very picturesque, moorings next to the road leading to the caravan site but no traffic at night so not a problem. Good food & drink in a The Swan

(2nd) Sunday & had a good lunch in the RedLion , Hopwas - very popular, busy area

Polesworth - didn't really fancy any of the pubs here - they all seemed to have themed curry nights but not on the night we were there so food & drink on board.

Hartshill - stayed just past The Anchor Inn - good beer garden & nice inside with a good menu but we were eating in again so just had a drink or 2!

Brinklow - a long walk to the village but good after a day of no locks. Good food & drink in The Bull's Head

Then back to Braunston & a Steak night in one of the village pubs - The old Plough.

A great 2 week holiday & I'm sure that we missed some good places but they'll keep for another time!!

Have a great holiday

Rhian

Two weeks is more than enough time for this ring. When we did it back in our hiring days, we missed out the (to my mind) rather dull North Oxford/Coventry bit, and instead carried on at Fradley Junction and did Great Haywood, the Wolverhampton 21, Birmingham, and Hatton!

Hi Rhian

Great to read your posting i was hoping you would post about your holiday

I am glad to read you had a great time

Was the rivers ok to pass its the first time we have been on rivers in all the years we have been doing n /boating .

I will have to look at a map and track your route .

Is it back to work now ? thats the bit i hate

Thanks

Graham

pub at kilby bridge grub is huge and delicious great trip did it last year also went up to market Harborough but no where to moor so turned round and moored in the country nice and peacefull,have moored on the outskirts of Leicester before with no problems this time we went from kilby bridge to thurmaston in a busy day abbey park area I bit rough looking with a lot of litter in the canal that had blown of a derelict site that had become a dumping ground,pity Leicester does not clean its act up as it could be very nice there just like Nottingham has.and yes if it rains the river comes up fast we waited for a day for it to go down but still went like a rocket through silby mill locks, but otherwise great trip you will love it

Hi Graham

We were a bit apprehensive about the rivers as well, though we have done the Avon in the past. No need to worry - the Soar is beautiful & no different really to a very wide canal. It did go into flood without much rainfall & I think we were lucky to get through when we did or we would have been in Loghborough for an extra day. The Trent by comparison is huge & turning onto it was like going out to sea!!!! (slight exaggeration perhaps!). It was a clear sunny evening but we had the wind & current against us so it seemed to take forever to get to Sawley. We only saw 1 other boat and it was a wonderful experience. So glad though to get a great mooring in Shardlow & that well deserved beer / glass of wine! We weren't really aware of a potential problem crossing to Alrewas but there are lights in Wychnor (I think that's where they are!) & we were told that that section is prone to flood. It was pouring with rain the morning we were travelling but we had no problem at all - other than getting drenched & not really able to appreciate the scenery. Lunch at The Swan in Fradley was very welcomed. Back in work now but wishing we were back out there somewhere, anywhere - roll on retirement!!!!!!!

Best wishes

Rhian

Hi Graham

We were a bit apprehensive about the rivers as well, though we have done the Avon in the past. No need to worry - the Soar is beautiful & no different really to a very wide canal. It did go into flood without much rainfall & I think we were lucky to get through when we did or we would have been in Loghborough for an extra day. The Trent by comparison is huge & turning onto it was like going out to sea!!!! (slight exaggeration perhaps!). It was a clear sunny evening but we had the wind & current against us so it seemed to take forever to get to Sawley. We only saw 1 other boat and it was a wonderful experience. So glad though to get a great mooring in Shardlow & that well deserved beer / glass of wine! We weren't really aware of a potential problem crossing to Alrewas but there are lights in Wychnor (I think that's where they are!) & we were told that that section is prone to flood. It was pouring with rain the morning we were travelling but we had no problem at all - other than getting drenched & not really able to appreciate the scenery. Lunch at The Swan in Fradley was very welcomed. Back in work now but wishing we were back out there somewhere, anywhere - roll on retirement!!!!!!!

Best wishes

Rhian

Hi Rhian

Thankyou for the info i will think about you when we get going on 5th of July and hope we have as good time as you all did

14 glorious day's on the boat clapping.gifboat.gifcheers.gif

Graham

Two weeks is more than enough time for this ring. When we did it back in our hiring days, we missed out the (to my mind) rather dull North Oxford/Coventry bit, and instead carried on at Fradley Junction and did Great Haywood, the Wolverhampton 21, Birmingham, and Hatton!

That's exactly whet we did a couple of years back for the same reason.