Selfish narrow boaters

john-m

Featured Posts

I have my boat on the river great Ouse and enjoy a trip to ely every now and then. But this is getting harder and harder as the same 10/15 narrow boats seem to have taken root. I would say 75% of the boats have not moved for 2/3 months leaving very little room for anyone else, these are ment to be 48hr moorings. Now why should the local council who don't have enough money have to waste money getting rid of these people.

Maybe they look on and will see the error of there ways and move off

I have my boat on the river great Ouse and enjoy a trip to ely every now and then. But this is getting harder and harder as the same 10/15 narrow boats seem to have taken root. I would say 75% of the boats have not moved for 2/3 months leaving very little room for anyone else, these are ment to be 48hr moorings. Now why should the local council who don't have enough money have to waste money getting rid of these people.

I'll bite..

Great Ouse.

Ely

meant not ment...

their not there..

Must try harder.

Is Ely on CRT waters?

Are these GOBA moorings or EA moorings?

If GOBA I am surprised as they police them quite well

If EA then talk to them about it.

Oh joy... Another topic about over staying on VM's......

We need more of these as the subject needs more debate and discussion on here,

I will start then.

Has the OP taken the names and numbers in their little note book and reported them to the council?

Looking at most the threads on here seems people like nothing more than moaning and bitching about something wether it be going to fast or or to slow or something else.

Does overstaying come under the category of moaning about something else then?

Edited by The Dog House

Some of the boaters I know and those who CC do tend to effectively bridge hop between Denver. Littleport ad Ely, others seem to have ot themselves ensconsed at Ely and just clog the place up. There is only one river inspector for the whole river system upto Bedford I believe and he has to cover part of the Cam, the Lark, little Ouse and the Whissy so you will be hard pressed to see him.

Have to admit it does peeve me to find moorings blocked like this, in fact I've never been able to moor in Ely.

Phil

Edit to say EA waters and EA moorings

Edited by Phil Ambrose

DH

(Remember Fluffy Bunny,, Whhooosssaaa)

My suggestion was for a section for those that shy away from a bit of robust debate, not a suggestion for members who are OK with it..... Edited by The Dog House

Deleted as john-m got in first.

Some of the boaters I know and those who CC do tend to effectively bridge hop between Denver. Littleport ad Ely, others seem to have ot themselves ensconsed at Ely and just clog the place up. There is only one river inspector for the whole river system upto Bedford I believe and he has to cover part of the Cam, the Lark, little Ouse and the Whissy so you will be hard pressed to see him.
Have to admit it does peeve me to find moorings blocked like this, in fact I've never been able to moor in Ely.
Phil
Edit to say EA waters and EA moorings

Now, will it be any better should these waters be passed to the control of C&RT I wonder?

Edited by Traveller

Has the OP taken the names and numbers in their little note book and reported them to the council?

We shouldn't have to.

And complaining about it on here will achieve anything?

I wouldn't go as.far as to say 15 boats, but there are at least 8 I can think of that hop.around the very local area. There is the willow houseboat that doesn't move at all, in the winding hole.

The council do prosecute, but the fines given out are less than a mooring costs.

I wouldn't go as.far as to say 15 boats, but there are at least 8 I can think of that hop.around the very local area. There is the willow houseboat that doesn't move at all, in the winding hole.

The council do prosecute, but the fines given out are less than a mooring costs.

Excellent, room for a 30' boat??

We shouldn't have to.

Hi ya john-m,

I was going to say and welcome to the Forum, but notice you have been a member far far longer than me.

I noticed you Re-typed a post from another member in your reply, To save you doing this in future, click on the reply box at bottom right of the post you want to reply to, and it will add it to your post automatically. (Not sure if you knew,,try it on mine if you like).

Have you been to ely lately. 4/5 on the grass by the pump out 3/4 plus the willow man outside the maltings plus the ones by the cutter and tesco end

Yes and he's still there so that was well worth it.

When ever I have moored there the man from the council has walked down each day taking boat details. Are you sure you are talking about the council owned visitor moorings, the bit from the Cutter to the railway is private and the bit beyond the winding hole to the railway in the other direction is bit of no mans land at the moment. Sue on No Problem was on the moorings for a while with permission due to a bust box and GOBA got right upperty about it.

It got a mention here http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/7042-dont-want-boat-trader

It happens. A few selfish people have decided to take ownership of what should be communal. These days we're all very laid back about the bridge hopper and a lot more live and let live but before the pressure went on this was what the K&A was like and it would be again if the attention wavered. Let's try and hold this middle way.