CRT - Survey of boaters's attitudes

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

I'd suggest none of those questions would address the stated aim of the new survey. They are looking for "boater attitudes", not information on maintenance needed.

An 'attitude"-revealing question would be something like "Please rate the way CRT managing visitor moorings on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being good."

MtB

MtB

fair point - well made

Ok -

How well do you consider C&RT maintain the infrastructure ?

How well do you consider C&RT enforcement works ?

How well do you consider C&RT actually do what they say they will do ?

The questions were impartial. However taking the perceived view of the (noisy) forumites and applying that to the questions, one would perhaps have expected a different outcome from the actual one. Which just goes to show that the apparent "view of the forum" is not always (or perhaps "rarely"!) reflected in the views of the greater boating population.

Obviously nick, you did not read the survey. The outcome was far better than any of CRT's previous surveys. It had many more participants and from a much broader base.

So I'm afraid you are just waffling this time, possibly for the sake of waffling.....

Obviously nick, you did not read the survey. The outcome was far better than any of CRT's previous surveys. It had many more participants and from a much broader base.

So I'm afraid you are just waffling this time, possibly for the sake of waffling.....

Your first sentence is incorrect, your next two are correct but don't seem relevant to my point. You final snipe is just... a final snipe. Although I suppose there is an implication that I don't normally waffle. Bonus!

The questions were impartial. However taking the perceived view of the (noisy) forumites and applying that to the questions, one would perhaps have expected a different outcome from the actual one. Which just goes to show that the apparent "view of the forum" is not always (or perhaps "rarely"!) reflected in the views of the greater boating population.

I agree this forum only speaks for those that post Ii am always amazed at the PMs I receive from people who say they do not post as they can not be bothered with the hassle Still not sure what outcome you were expecting from the survey bot CRT did receive the full version of the replies

I ran the General Motors (Vauxhall, Opel etc.) customer satisfaction survey program for Europe for a year or seven. Firstly the only type of survey that indicates the effectiveness of management is a rolling survey, the proposal is for a rolling survey. Secondly the survey should be pick it's potential respondents randomly, or include everyone. Having an email address registered with CaRT does not fulfill this criteria. Thirdly a minimum respondent rate of ~1000 is needed for any form of accuracy. Sending out 1000 questionnaires would not come close achieving this. Fourthly, large groups, such as those without internet, must not be excluded.

A realistic suggestion might be to send out a questionnaire with every licence application. It is a rolling survey, It is inclusive, you have the full attention of the person at that time. Costs would be minimised by doing this as postal questionnaires are required to cover all person types and they are sending you a mailpiece anyway.

Does it matter what the questions are? Yes, they should include all aspects of the product or service and include questions to verify the completeness of the questionnaire, they should be neutral, they must remain unchanged over several years or it's a fudge. Stability of the questions is paramount.

What needs to be measured is change over time, not actual respondent values. That is how management actions are measured in the real world.

Total cost should be about £4 per completed questionnaire.

However the results do need to be read and acted on, compared to that such a survey is easy.

Have I inadvertently stumbled onto Narrowboat world?

Hells teeth, CRT are condemned for ignoring boaters views and condemned when they do not.

Edited by The Dog House

We have Richard Parry travelling the country, organised meetings with the associations, boaters surveys . Consultations on moorings, It's good to get your customers views . Has a pattern emerged yet . Or do we keep going until the right answer emerges whatever that is.

• Greenie 2

OK, it's a rolling survey, spread over a couple of years.

Are the questions going to be the same for each wave, or will they be changed according to the responses to the previous ones?

OK, it's a rolling survey, spread over a couple of years.

Are the questions going to be the same for each wave, or will they be changed according to the responses to the previous ones?

If the questions get changed it is not a rolling survey.