When did narrowboats become "all steel"?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Depends exactly what you are asking!

"Sickle" was, for example built largely "all steel" in 1936, and is certainly not amongst the first boats to have steel cabins. (But I'm guessing that's not really what you want to know!)

Leisure boats built in the early 1970s were a complete mixture.....

Top of the range bespoke boats by builders like Malcolm Braine has wooden cabins, (usually oil tempered hardboard - "Masonite" over tongued and grooved boards. However cheaper boats, such as Rugby boatbuilders ones used similar.

The "better" hire cruisers types, like Harborough Marine tended to use a GRP sandwich.

However, (perhaps surprisingly!) budget Springers were already being built all steel - perhaps why many have survived better than more expensive offerings.

Edited by alan_fincher

Is not the OP asking when narrowboats became constructed from an all steel welded construction, as in a welded steel tube? Hull and cabin welded together.....?

Depends exactly what you are asking!

"Sickle" was, for example built largely "all steel" in 1936, and is certainly not amongst the first boats to have steel cabins. (But I'm guessing that's not really what you want to know!)

Leisure boats built in the early 1970s were a complete mixture.....

But it's safe to assume that anything built from 1980 onwards will have a steel superstructure?

But it's safe to assume that anything built from 1980 onwards will have a steel superstructure?

I'm not sure it is, but can't say definitively.

Magazines from that time certainly show many, (most?), hire boats based on GRP tops, but whether everybody had stopped building them that way by then, I don't know.

No, but it's safe to say that anything built from 1980 onwards will probably have a steel superstructure....

MtB

Hi

I doubt that there will ever be a definitive answer to the question, different builders switched at varying times. I remember a friend's shell being all steel in the early-ish 70s, although wooden cabins were more common in those days. I vaguely remember arguments about stability, that a steel cabin would prove top heavy, though by the 80s steel tops were common.

Malcolm Braine built wooden tops, wooden frames with planked cladding with Masonite, an oil based hardboard, to form the outer face, along with timber framing if required to simulate recessed panels of working craft. Some boats were also treated with fibre glass resin for longevity. Graham Edgson, his successor, went on to re-skin the exterior, removing the framing and Masonite, leaving the planks and constructing a new steel cabin over the top, a highly skilled bit of fabricating.

I've a pile of old WW mags in the loft, when I get a moment I'll dig them out and check the adverts.

Cheers

Dave

The ready availability of affordable MIG welding sets must have contributed to the popularity of the steel cabin, they make producing a decent cabin with minimal distortion much quicker and easier than with stick welding.

Tim