Crashing into boats.....

Lanners

Featured Posts

LOL, the Training models on a lake are LOTS of fun! At 40ft they are like small narrow boats, accept they do have keels so go the direction you want to!

If you look on Page 8 of the Daily Telegraph you will see my last ship (with the Red Arrows doing a fly by), still sitting in Falmouth Bay a week after I paid off!

now am getting worried about Braunston Tunnel, planning to go through there in August........ Don't want to be hit by anyone, or even worse me hit another boat!

I think the Sport bit of "its a contact sport" means its a sport / challenge to NOT hit another boat.

Put a ( No entry, tunnel out of order) sign at the other end before you go in, collect it on your way out.

Ha!! only a week in Falmouth bay.....spent about 5 weeks at anchor there during a steel strike in the 70's... biggest fleet of iron ore carriers I ever saw...we even held lifeboat regattas to relieve the boredom

I like to think boating is a limited contact sport, as in taking every precaution to avoid hitting other boats.

Regardless how experienced you are mistakes happen, unlike cars boats don't have brakes

Have to call you on that one. Both my boats have brakes, I can stop them both in less than a boat-length. It's called engaging astern.

The only boats that don't have brakes are the unpowered ones., broadly speaking,

MtB

I remember coming through Barbridge once, on the Middlewich Branch stretch. Boats moored both sides, so the navigation is only about 17 feet wide, and a boat coming the opposite direction. As usual, it was windy, and as my bow came back out from the protection of the passing boat it was blown over slightly, meaning that I gently brushed against one of the moored boats. The owner was banging on the window and giving us a load of verbal, didn't come on deck to give me a chance to apologise face to face and explain the situation, so I thought 'If you think you can do any better in these conditions, come and do it yourself!'

Have to call you on that one. Both my boats have brakes, I can stop them both in less than a boat-length. It's called engaging astern.

The only boats that don't have brakes are the unpowered ones., broadly speaking,

MtB

On a sailing boat you can heave to.

...For example we were moored with others in the middle of the visitors moorings at Ansty and were well and truly belted by a working boat going much to fast and were told "Working boat" as if that excused it.

TC

That's hilarious, what a great excuse!

now am getting worried about Braunston Tunnel, planning to go through there in August........ Don't want to be hit by anyone, or even worse me hit another boat!

I think the Sport bit of "its a contact sport" means its a sport / challenge to NOT hit another boat.

Hi Dharl,

Looking at your boat name, I think you bought our share in Honeystreet. I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

I have been through Braunston Tunnel and (Blisworth) dozens of times. Providing both boats slow down and keep to their respective sides, then there is little to worry about. At worst there may be a gentle kiss as you pass.

Like others I try to avoid contact with other boats at all times, however this is not always possible, especially when it is windy. I always apologise, because I try to treat people as I would like to be treated.

Picking up our new (to us) boat next Tuesday from Ventnor Farm Marina and will bring it to our end of garden mooring at Amington. Can't wait and getting excited at finally owning a whole boat (after 22 years of shared ownership and 19 years of hiring before that!).

I went through Braunston Tunnel yesterday - and those kinks especially the one at the eastern end, looks more acute than normal. Of course I doubt it is; but every time I do it, it appears as such. I met a hireboat full of pee'd up students right on the 'kink' about two years ago. It was 'hard astern' for a few seconds whilst they cleared the kink, though they still managed to crash into me. Great fun though!

Like this one

hbYIYY3.jpg

The boat below Woolhampton lock, has to be a strong contender for the worst mooring on the system.

I´ve seen that boat in Winter with the river in full spate nearly in the garden listing at a mad angle.

Regarding the OP, Marinas with very few exceptions aren´t designed for ease of navigation they are designed to fit as many boats into a limited space as possible. I´d personally sacrífice the view for the piece of mind of not being bashed on a regular basis, doubt it´will get any better in the long run.

Edited by JDR

Ideal time to go to Braunston, it's bound to be quiet.......... If you go through at 6.00 in the morning.!

Hi Dharl,

Looking at your boat name, I think you bought our share in Honeystreet. I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

I have been through Braunston Tunnel and (Blisworth) dozens of times. Providing both boats slow down and keep to their respective sides, then there is little to worry about. At worst there may be a gentle kiss as you pass.

Like others I try to avoid contact with other boats at all times, however this is not always possible, especially when it is windy. I always apologise, because I try to treat people as I would like to be treated.

Picking up our new (to us) boat next Tuesday from Ventnor Farm Marina and will bring it to our end of garden mooring at Amington. Can't wait and getting excited at finally owning a whole boat (after 22 years of shared ownership and 19 years of hiring before that!).

HI Cuthound,

yes I think its is your share that we bought. We are both very excited to be owning a share in a boat after several years of hiring! We loved Honeystreet from the moment we went on her at Gayton. Really looking forward to our first trip on her in August. Thanks for looking after her and selling her to us, good luck with your new boat!

MHS, going through early is not a problem as we are early risers and like to get going when we have the long days.

John V, Was supposed to be doing a 'Short Trip', joined in Brazil to bring to Europe to load for a voyage and handover to a new Master, but ship spent 4 weeks swinging round the hook in the bay and only got load orders over a week after I paid off. A lifeboat regatta sounds fun, but with modern enclosed freefall boats don't have as much opportunity!

John V, Was supposed to be doing a 'Short Trip', joined in Brazil to bring to Europe to load for a voyage and handover to a new Master, but ship spent 4 weeks swinging round the hook in the bay and only got load orders over a week after I paid off. A lifeboat regatta sounds fun, but with modern enclosed freefall boats don't have as much opportunity!

We had the old gunter or lug rigged sailing boats and every ship was experimenting with homemade rigs, keels or lee boards...was great fun as would then raft up around one ship and try to drink the bar dry. Usually had to send the motorboats out to tow some home!

We had the old gunter or lug rigged sailing boats and every ship was experimenting with homemade rigs, keels or lee boards...was great fun as would then raft up around one ship and try to drink the bar dry. Usually had to send the motorboats out to tow some home!

smiley_offtopic.gif

Drinking on a ship? none of that allowed these days.....all dry! One of my early ships as a cadet had open boats with sails, spent a while finding out they don't go as well to windward as a Wayfarer does....

smiley_offtopic.gif

Drinking on a ship? none of that allowed these days.....all dry! One of my early ships as a cadet had open boats with sails, spent a while finding out they don't go as well to windward as a Wayfarer does....

Oh Lord!!! I'm glad I'm not at sea anymore.......Go well to windward...you jest..more how fast they race to leeward!!!

:D With my current role am only at sea for a short time each year, most of the time back in the office doing the politics........

Windward on a sailing lifeboat, anything more than a broad reach was a bonus!