Which Charger/Inverter manufacturer is best

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Can I ask which Charger/Inverter combi manufacturer is best?

I have a old Mastervolt Heart 2000w/100A charger. It is about 10 years old at least and although its working it seems very inefficient and I would like to replace it. Just leaving it on with no load and the battery voltage drops.

Looking through the past posts on the matter it doesn’t seem to give a clear market leader.

I am more favored towards replacing it with another Mastervolt but by the time you buy the control panel as well its about £2k.

I am looking for efficiency and a very good sinewave (less noise etc...) I bought a 300W inverter from Maplins and

my mac laptop wont charge off it. So, I need to run the main inverter just to run my laptop and 3G router. It seams a lot of waste.

Regards

Bob

Mastervolt is the best, then Victron, then Sterling Power Products. These 3 firms make chargers specifically for the marine market, where there's always going to be a bit more condensation/moisture than other areas. So they're designed from the ground up for these conditions.

I was lucky, in that both my laptops charge from a small 150W Maplins MSW inverter, which didn't cost much. I also have a 1500W MSW inverter (a cheap UK one from eBay), it won't work with the laptop power supplies. If one is plugged in and switched on at the socket, even if not connected to a laptop, the inverter 'clicks' and won't produce power. Unplug/switch off at socket, and it will produce power for other items. We use it to power a microwave and larger power tools.

Mastervolt is the best, then Victron, then Sterling Power Products. These 3 firms make chargers specifically for the marine market, where there's always going to be a bit more condensation/moisture than other areas. So they're designed from the ground up for these conditions.

There is nothing inside my Sterling Pro Combi S inverter charger to suggest that anything has been done to design against condensation and moisture. I've had it open to replace the whole electrics module so I have intimate knowledge of its' innards :)

Outback, Mastervolt, Victron are good top of the range makes. I have a victron and have no issues (10 years old). If it ever goes I think I would look at outback's range, but that's because when I get solar the controller is more likely to be from outback.

I am looking for efficiency and a very good sinewave (less noise etc...) I bought a 300W inverter from Maplins and

my mac laptop wont charge off it. So, I need to run the main inverter just to run my laptop and 3G router. It seams a lot of waste.

Regards

Bob

If it's only for laptop and router then look at 12v power adapters for them. There is a 12v one for a Mac if you look on Amazon. Edited by Robbo

Can I ask which Charger/Inverter combi manufacturer is best?

Regards

Bob

Before buying a replacement I would do some measurements on you existing one to determine its standby current and efficiency, then compare that with the spec on the new one, you may find the "improvement" is very small and the payback measured in centuries.

TC

Thanks all for the replies.

I have a clamp test meeter on order and will test out the leakage with just the inverter on. If the old Combi box does need replacing I will get a Mastervolt.

BTW: The reason I have to go for a combi is because of space. My Gas locker is on the left side of the boat and protrudes into the engine compartment, so the only space I have is for a combi. Ive never had a problem with the old unit just I don't think the efficiency is up to much.

Bob

Victron for me but have not experienced Mastervolt. Found Victrons aftercare to be superb.

It could be just coincidence but when we had the hire boats, those with Sterling always generated more 'low power' call outs.

Why have a combi? Surely it's better to have separate items, at least if one is away for repairs the other will still be usable.

Dave

Its cheaper with a combi as well as the charging can reduce its output if AC loads and charger demand more than the input supply as well as assist in providing extra amps from the shore power if you have a few high AC loads. If you primarily have a AC source like a genny or shore then they are the better option (you can reduce the genny size from what you would normally need)

Separates are good if you have primarily have DC charging sources, you can then get a very good inverter, but you may need one that provides more power than the combi as no power assist. Separates have an advantage with a cheaper AC genny and washing machines as the better inverter can provide a better AC wave.

Edited by Robbo

I have nothing but praise for our Sterling battery charger but our 1800w inverter from the same company is often very slow to start and consumes a lot of battery power when on minimum load. Inland chandlers tend to stock less 24v equipment these days so we are looking at buying one of these:

http://www.marc-ting.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p12_max-3000w-1500w-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter.html

Not well known in the UK but apparently rated highly in Germany . . .

That looks almost identical, even down to size looks sockets and switches to a Stirling Inverter I had way back on my last boat, It said 3000w but infact it was only something like 1600 w continuas, I was a bit disappointed in it to be honest. & broke expelling the blue smoke from it's vents.

No reflection on your link, I'm sure they are great. Let us know how it performs. Good price to !.

Thanks all for the replies.

I have a clamp test meeter on order and will test out the leakage with just the inverter on. If the old Combi box does need replacing I will get a Mastervolt.

BTW: The reason I have to go for a combi is because of space. My Gas locker is on the left side of the boat and protrudes into the engine compartment, so the only space I have is for a combi. Ive never had a problem with the old unit just I don't think the efficiency is up to much.

Bob

I think it would pay off hansomely to define carefully what you mean by "I don't think the efficiency is up to much".

You mention earlier how it drains your battery when doing nothing. A new one might do exactly the same unless you establish the new one draws a quiescent current substantially lower than your old one. A new one may turn out to do exactly the same if say, your batteries turn out the be knackered.

Is there anything else about you current combi that leads you to doubt it's 'efficiency'? 'Efficiency' is the term usually used to define losses in a system, and is usually expressed in percentage terms i.e. the unit is 97% efficient.

Do you know the efficiency of your current unit?

MtB

You mention earlier how it drains your battery when doing nothing. A new one might do exactly the same unless you establish the new one draws a quiescent current substantially lower than your old one. A new one may turn out to do exactly the same if say, your batteries turn out the be knackered.

Is there anything else about you current combi that leads you to doubt it's 'efficiency'? 'Efficiency' is the term usually used to define losses in a system, and is usually expressed in percentage terms i.e. the unit is 97% efficient.

Do you know the efficiency of your current unit?

MtB

Hello Mike, thanks for the reply.

The my current unit is a Heart mastervolt It was on the boat when I bought it and has worked with out fail. I do not know the Power efficienty I read the manual last night but didn't see any reference to it.

I do a radio show from the boat twice a week for in internet radio station. So when broadcasting, I use my laptop (circ 35w) and a Mark of the Unicorn DA/AD convert which is 15w + a 3g router (5 w). I have 4 new (ish) US 2200 extreme 6 volt 245A (i think) and these are watered and de-sulphate once a month. The only other thing that consumes power is my 12v fridge which i turn off when broadcasting + 1 led lighting unit @ .3w.

I have a digital Volt meter wired in above my desk so I can see whats happening. I am at float and turn off charger wait 30 mins and the voltage is 12.72.

Turning on the inverter and the voltage drops to 12:36. Its always done this even with new batteries. (12.25 if not de-sulphated).

Turning on the laptop and DA/AD converter and it drops to 12.26v after 3 hrs of use I am at 12.05.

So I turn off the system and take the dog for a last walk. On getting back to the boat the power is 12.3v

Now I recon 55w at 12v is (circ 5A ) so I should have consumer 15Aph and my batteries should be 12.55 or 12.65

I have had the batteries checked and they are good. So the only other thing i can think of is my old Combi is wasting too much power somewhere.

So unless I have done my calculations incorrectly and this is what is expected then I am guessing my inverter is goosed. I hope to have my clamp meter today and will let you know the readings

Bob

I have a digital Volt meter wired in above my desk so I can see what's happening.

What do you think is happening?

I am at float and turn off charger wait 30 mins and the voltage is 12.72.

Batteries still have surface charge, this is not an indication of SOC (State of Charge)

Turning on the laptop and DA/AD converter and it drops to 12.26v after 3 hrs of use I am at 12.05.

These are 'on load' readings and again not an indication of the SOC of the batteries.

So I turn off the system and take the dog for a last walk. On getting back to the boat the power is 12.3v

Depending on how long the dog walk is, this may indicate the the batteries are at very approximately 60% SOC

Which would imply you have used 40% of you amp.hrs, assuming your batteries are wired for 12v and batteries fully charged and in top condition, you started with 450 amp.hrs and used 180 amp.hrs or in those three hours, 60 amp.hrs per hour.

I doubt even a faulty inverter could use that much.

Something is wrong but you know that.

Why is the charger turned off? Is an interference problem? is it run from a generator or shorleine?

Laptop, is that 35 watts @ 12v dc or 240v ac

Again the DA/AD what voltage

Is the charger going into float to early?

Edit:

missed the clamp-meter bit, this will give a true idea of you actual loading, turn everything off and see what the inverter is using on its own.

Then turn on the other items and check again.

You may be surprised. laugh.png

Edited by bottle

I have a digital Volt meter wired in above my desk so I can see what's happening.

Laptop, is that 35 watts @ 12v dc or 240v ac

missed the clamp-meter bit, this will give a true idea of you actual loading, turn everything off and see what the inverter is using on its own.

Then turn on the other items and check again.

You may be surprised. :lol:

35watts is 35watts at 12v dc and 240v ac

Agree with clamp meter, its the most useful item after a volt meter.