A question about surveys.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

The time scale depends very much on the availability of your chosen surveyor and the opportunity to get the boat out of the water. We've had two surveys done recently - the first one revealed a list of potentially very expensive faults which persuaded us to pull out of the deal, so it was money well spent.

The most recent survey took two weeks as I wanted to use the same surveyor and he wasn't available. I was present during the survey (I'd recommend it as the surveyor may point out things that aren't reportable, but might be useful information) and got a verbal report the same day. I was then emailed the final report the following day.

The time scale depends very much on the availability of your chosen surveyor and the opportunity to get the boat out of the water. We've had two surveys done recently - the first one revealed a list of potentially very expensive faults which persuaded us to pull out of the deal, so it was money well spent.

The most recent survey took two weeks as I wanted to use the same surveyor and he wasn't available. I was present during the survey (I'd recommend it as the surveyor may point out things that aren't reportable, but might be useful information) and got a verbal report the same day. I was then emailed the final report the following day.

Money well spent then. Well done you.

Can someone just confirm I've read some of these reply's right.

You see a boat that you like and then let's say you make an offer at the asking price subject to a survey.

Survey results show X amount of things need fixing, so you would negotiate with the seller for either a reduction in price around the amount the work would cost.

Or ask the seller to get the work done before you buy.

Just another quick thought, will the surveyor give any sort of estimate of the cost to get any work needed done ?

The survey could well show X amount of things which need fixing, and the seller turn round and say "its a secondhand boat, its xx years old, faults are to be expected and its priced to reflect the condition". This is why its essential to negotiate on what terms a deposit (which you'd pay before a survey) is refundable.

I'm tending now towards thinking that if I do view the boat in question (and I can't do that until August, so it may have sold by then),

If it hasn't sold by then you can safely assume it's overpriced.

Keenly priced boats sell in a week or three, generally.

MtB

If it hasn't sold by then you can safely assume it's overpriced.

Keenly priced boats sell in a week or three, generally.

MtB

Possibly, although it doesn't really matter if it does, i have a one-year window for buying a boat, this window opens in August. I've been window shopping for about a year now and I've seen half-a-dozen in that time that would fit my criteria so it's reasonable to assume that more will be along over the next year. One reason it may not have sold so far is that the advert is very badly written though.

with Hull condition surveys...

If you are a practical sort of person (which Southern Star obviously is) then most of what a surveyor finds you would have found.

Anything you might miss the surveyor might also miss

anything you both miss the grit blaster will probably find but he might miss

If all of you miss it then you just hope the water does too

unsure.png

just to show how things can be missed...while crewing a delivery of a fully coded fully surveyed survey vessel we sprang a major leak in the engine room and very nearly lost the boat...the weld had gone on the stub inlet for the fire pump system (2.25" pipe)

almost impossible to get at to check (and to temporary repair as well)

When I got home I decided that I ought to check my inlets.. and guess what the stub between the engine raw water inlet valve and the filter was almost as bad.....again the only way you could inspect it was by removing the filter housing.

smiley_offtopic.gif John V's post has opened up something I've been curious about for a while. If you do spring a leak while cruising how to you deal with it there and then?

Is there an emergency patch you can buy that sticks while water is entering the hull? or is a case of ramming the bank with which ever end it may be, and hoping you get stuck on something.

I read a post a while back where someone had a boat surveyed and a hole was made while inspecting. The dry dock owner had another boat booked so it was a quick repair and floated it out again. Would that of been a quick weld up job as it was out of the water??

Perhaps it's very specific to the situation, but wondered the things people have seen/done.

Ade

Edited by Mendip-Locks

smiley_offtopic.gif John V's post has opened up something I've been curious about for a while. If you do spring a leak while cruising how to you deal with it there and then?

Is there an emergency patch you can buy that sticks while water is entering the hull? or is a case of ramming the bank with which ever end it may be, and hoping you get stuck on something.

I read a post a while back where someone had a boat surveyed and a hole was made while inspecting. The dry dock owner had another boat booked so it was a quick repair and floated it out again. Would that of been a quick weld up job as it was out of the water??

Perhaps it's very specific to the situation, but wondered the things people have seen/done.

Ade

Doesnt everyone carry this ?

I thought it was a standard 'spare' along with filters and belts ?

http://www.stayafloatmarine.com/usa/

When we (finally) got the filter off it was bang in a wooden bung with some cloth wrapped round that enabled the bilge pump to gain ground If we hadn't found it within a few minutes we were planning on taking the top off one of the engine raw water filters and closing the valve and using the engine as a second pump.

Its surprising how easy it is to stop a leak if you are in still water...while I was saving up for the crane for my barge she was kept afloat for several weeks by a bit of sponge rubber with a steel plate over it topped off with a 56lb weight

Ade

Very good point, and one that's Alarmingly

overlooked !.(imo).

Although I'm not worried about a leak in the actual Bottom Hull, (as I've got an inner watertight floor to the boat some 600mm above that, Twin skin if you like) or even around the Bow & Stern Thrusters, (as I've fully enclosed them in a 'Weedhatch' type construction that extends to above the Waterline).

I have however got a section of the sides that is single

skin & extends Up to 400mm below the Waterline that is ofcourse

venerable to a breach.

So I have always carried a cpl of 'Grab Bags' to deal with such problems.

Far to much stuff to list, but plenty of canvas,rubber, softwood seacock cones,ramming wood, Keyhole saw and axe to chip and cut away internal panelling ect ect.

All designed to help stem the flow and give your Bilge pumps a chance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57fku3b2w4rv61v/IMAG0221.jpg

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

So I have always carried a cpl of 'Grab Bags' to deal with such problems.

Far to much stuff to list, but plenty of canvas,rubber, softwood seacock cones,ramming wood, Keyhole saw and axe to chip and cut away internal panelling ect ect.

All designed to help stem the flow and give your Bilge pumps a chance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57fku3b2w4rv61v/IMAG0221.jpg

It is surprising (or maybe not) the level of 'preparedness' when there is 200 ft of water underneath you and its 30 miles to the shore, compared to 2 feet and 10 feet to the bank

It is surprising (or maybe not) the level of 'preparedness' when there is 200 ft of water underneath you and its 30 miles to the shore, compared to 2 feet and 10 feet to the bank

You are spot on there Alan.

I don't mind if people think it's over the top, it's truly about the safety of all aboard, & my Home

To be honest, they take up little space, & are easily accessible !.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0zkoiwapyugrhs/IMAG0222.jpg

Hey, it works for me.

I don't mind if people think it's over the top, it's truly about the safety of all aboard, & my Home !.

I don't mind if people think it's over the top, it's truly about the safety of all aboard, & my Home !.

We (well me) was the same, 6 man liferaft, flares, hand water-maker, food.water rations, Epirbs, Hand held radio, first aid kit, and GPS in waterproof tub etc etc Once you've got it it doesnt take up a lot of room or cost much to maintain

We (well me) was the same, 6 man liferaft, flares, hand water-maker, food.water rations, Epirbs, Hand held radio, first aid kit, and GPS in waterproof tub etc etc Once you've got it it doesnt take up a lot of room or cost much to maintain

Yes, I've just had a Survey, Gear check and valuation done,

Although I realized my Liferaft needed a service, it was suggested that is probably time to replace as it is now comming up 9years old, But one thing I didn't realize is my Danbouy that

hangs permanently on the stern, has a split in

the float!. So needs replacing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zawmw7taqoseeln/IMAG0223.jpg

The back up Rechargeable Fog horn has muck in the valve,and one of my strobe lights batteries needs replacing!. Amongst other small annoying but overlooked things.