sat nav on the canal?

the barnacle

Featured Posts

sorry for a silly question but I was wondering if sat navs work on the canal network to show your location?

Can be variable. GPS is very poor for localization - typically it gives you your location to about 30m. Sat navs then use map matching algorithms to correct for that i.e. if I'm somewhere round here and have taken a left turn followed by a right then I must be here. Since sat navs know about roads they're more likely to place you on the M40 than the South Oxford round Aynho! Without the correct maps they'll get completely lost.

If you feel really techy you could build your own map in real time. With a digital camera, a linux based PC, some open source software and a bit of programming you could run a Visual SLAM. Great fun to debug...frusty.gif .http://wiki.ros.org/vslam

Edited by Chalky

It is a total mystery to me why anyone on a canal would need anything more complicated than a printed map to know where they are. You move so slowly that there is plenty of time to find the last bridge or lock to be able to identify more or less where you are, Nicholsons guides which are based upon the Ordnance survey maps give additional details such as field boundaries, farms, overhead cables etc, which make it very easy to locate your position, why do you need anything else?

If we continue along this "I need an app to find out everything" approach, Society will become totally de-skilled, although it seems to well along that road already!!

I agree, but could you please put that in writing and post it to me - (only joking) wink.png - I do a lot of driving for a living and still have my a - z collection in my van - I could live without the sat nav and think everyone should read maps - I just wondered as when on the hire boat later in the year I thought it might be handy .

I will have to look into the Nicholsons guides, the information is much appreciated and thank you for all the replies.

I get a perverse satisfaction from using a weather app on a smartphone to decide if I'm going to need my waterproofs to strap Tawny around a tight corner

Technology - love it!

Richard

I guess reading an electronic map on an electronic device needs a completely different set of skills to using a map on a bit of paper... because a map is not a map! huh.png

Just add electronic in front of one, & paper in front of the other, which ever way around suits

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I have an old Garmin GPS 12, still working fine after 17 years. Its generally used to provide speed, in turn allowing minimum power setting for speed available on shallow canals, thus saving fuel.

It has a marine database with navigation buoys for the whole world plus more useful for canal work, all towns. The info it provides is particularly useful on rivers where speed can't easily be judged. The plot it leaves allows easy correlation with printed guides.

sorry for a silly question but I was wondering if sat navs work on the canal network to show your location?

When I'm looking for canals, heading downhill often helps, though north Wales is a bit of an exception.

I have OSMAnd on my Android tablet (Nexus) and phone. It uses Open Street Map maps, which show canals, footpaths, buildings, pubs, shops, street names, etc.

The app lets you download maps for the whole counttry, rather than relying on online use, like Google Maps. So once it's downloaded, you can use it anywhere, even if you have no data connection.

In the open countryside, the GPS on my devices is accurate to about 5m.

It is a total mystery to me why anyone on a canal would need anything more complicated than a printed map to know where they are. You move so slowly that there is plenty of time to find the last bridge or lock to be able to identify more or less where you are, Nicholsons guides which are based upon the Ordnance survey maps give additional details such as field boundaries, farms, overhead cables etc, which make it very easy to locate your position, why do you need anything else?

If we continue along this "I need an app to find out everything" approach, Society will become totally de-skilled, although it seems to well along that road already!!

But What about if i need an app to order a pint at my local?

But seriously, I feel de-skilled compared to some of the youths I work with for precisely the opposite reasons you mention. They think I'm am old grunter who can't use a smartphone.

I have OSMAnd on my Android tablet (Nexus) and phone. It uses Open Street Map maps, which show canals, footpaths, buildings, pubs, shops, street names, etc.

The app lets you download maps for the whole counttry, rather than relying on online use, like Google Maps. So once it's downloaded, you can use it anywhere, even if you have no data connection.

In the open countryside, the GPS on my devices is accurate to about 5m.

Does it have all the water points and rubbish disposal points on it?

Does it have all the water points and rubbish disposal points on it?

Unfortunately Nicolsons have them even when they are no longer there.

Like all the 'map books' they are out of date before they are printed.

I think you're somewhat missing the point. Nicholsons or Pearsons are geared towards the waterways, and have features such as special notes on unusual locks, visitor mooring locations, water/other service points, etc. Of course they are a snapshot in time, and will go out-of-date. But things don't change that quickly, and even if errors are encountered its easy enough to make a small correction with a pen in the book.

A generalised map such as Open Street Map, doesn't even have eg water points to start with. The only one i know of is e-canalmapp which is geared towards canals so has the detail on it.

If the frequency of change or error rate was higher, then an electronic version could be justified by its being regularly updated therefore more accurate. But that's not really the case.

I think you're somewhat missing the point. Nicholsons or Pearsons are geared towards the waterways, and have features such as special notes on unusual locks, visitor mooring locations, water/other service points, etc. Of course they are a snapshot in time, and will go out-of-date. But things don't change that quickly, and even if errors are encountered its easy enough to make a small correction with a pen in the book.

A generalised map such as Open Street Map, doesn't even have eg water points to start with. The only one i know of is e-canalmapp which is geared towards canals so has the detail on it.

If the frequency of change or error rate was higher, then an electronic version could be justified by its being regularly updated therefore more accurate. But that's not really the case.

I do not think so, my post is correct and so is the rest of your paragraph.