CC

leeco

Featured Posts

We haven't been moving the boat at all but as nobody lives on the boat and the boat is only used some weekends I guess its hard to CC as you end up leaving the boat miles from where you live so its hard to check on it.

I have been talking to my brother and the way I see it is we have 2 options, sell the boat or put it in a marina and split the cost between the people who use the boat and if they don't agree then it gets sold in the marina.

Out of curiosity.....

Were you/the others aware that you were not adhering to the guidelines and decided to ignore them, or were you unaware that you should have been moving the boat to a new place every 14 days?

Reason I ask is that I wonder how many people end up with a boat and genuinely are not aware what they are supposed to do to comply with the t&c's and HOW they got to that stage without understanding what was expected of them?

Its a salutory lesson but when owning a boat on the Inland waterways you either, 'use it and move it' or pay for a mooring.

As has said earlier well done for 'standing up and admitting what you have done' - if this had been reported on the 'Dark-Side' it would have been headlined "C&RT evict another Boater from the system"

Keep C&RT informed of your decisions.

Out of curiosity.....

Were you/the others aware that you were not adhering to the guidelines and decided to ignore them, or were you unaware that you should have been moving the boat to a new place every 14 days?

Reason I ask is that I wonder how many people end up with a boat and genuinely are not aware what they are supposed to do to comply with the t&c's and HOW they got to that stage without understanding what was expected of them?

I know the rules and have been trying to talk my brother into getting a mooring for some time as you can't just stay in one spot and expect to get away with it. I always knew at one point this letter was going to come and warned him what will happen if we carry on. We did have a mooring for some time at woodlesford but nobody ever went on the boat as it was a little too far to travel so after a couple of years we cancelled the mooring and brought the boat closer to home.

We was hoping to get a CRT mooring round here but they never come online.

Is the brother you mention Gazboatman? If so, I would have thought he was perfectly well aware of the rules. If not, then the two of you should be able to get the other to see sense!

No not him but he is my brother too.

This brother is a right tight penny pinching git.

Just tell him once CRT lift the boat out , it could cost more than a mooring to get possession back........

I will do but I think he's seen sense now and we are going to the marina tomorrow with some cash and get the boat moored.

The way I read it is that Continuous Cruising, and having any connection with, or regular obligations in a particular area (work, school etc) are not considered to be compatible. CRT are expecting an owner to want to travel around the network and any reluctance to do this will get on their radar sooner or later.

Yes...HOWEVER....

A boat travels at walking pace.

Doing a lock...can be compared to stopping, dropping, and doing 50 pressups.

Now, if you...said you were going to be walking....taking a journey....around the country....and stopping at each museam, pub, library etc along the way....no one would think badly if you walked an hour today....and spent 3 days in a small town...and perhaps 2hrs the following day (remembering to do your pressups) and spending 3-4 days in town 2.

CC-ing is no different. You dont have to rush around, cruising 6hrs a day, and leaving within 48hrs in case someone hands you a horrible letter.

Boating is a leisurable pursuit, and should always be slow moving, and long stopping, if possible.

Other's will disagree, but it's exactly why I'm buying more casettes, and putting in a bigger water tank.

edited to add.....

If, once you've done a few towns.....you remember that a certain pub has a quiz night on a Friday....there's no reason you cant head that way...and join in the fun...and then...maybe stay a day and suntan on your roof...before setting off again...in some leisurely direction.

When I first bought a boat and moved the family on board...we did 6hrs a day, for 8 months. We saw nothing of any town, and had to push on, to the next elsan/water point......it's wasn't leisurely at all.

Edited by DeanS

Yes...HOWEVER....

Now, if you...said you were going to be walking....taking a journey....around the country....and stopping at each museam, pub, library etc along the way....no one would think badly if you walked an hour today....and spent 3 days in a small town...and perhaps 2hrs the following day (remembering to do your pressups) and spending 3-4 days in town 2.

CC-ing is no different. You dont have to rush around, cruising 6hrs a day, and leaving within 48hrs in case someone hands you a horrible letter.

Boating is a leisurable pursuit, and should always be slow moving, and long stopping, if possible.

Other's will disagree, but it's exactly why I'm buying more casettes, and putting in a bigger water tank.

edited to add.....

If, once you've done a few towns.....you remember that a certain pub has a quiz night on a Friday....there's no reason you cant head that way...and join in the fun...and then...maybe stay a day and suntan on your roof...before setting off again...in some leisurely direction.

When I first bought a boat and moved the family on board...we did 6hrs a day, for 8 months. We saw nothing of any town, and had to push on, to the next elsan/water point......it's wasn't leisurely at all.

Your post sums it up, boating styles are different for every boater. Unfortunately, many boat owners and hirers can only get a couple of weeks or a month at a time to indulge, and if they're doing a ring, then they have no choice but to push on. What's causing the problem between CaRT and CC'ers is that a few of them don't want to comply with the rules they agreed to when they took out their licence. I sort of intend to CC later on, but not until I retire and can afford to without working for anything more than pocket money..

Yes...HOWEVER....

edited to add.....

Absolutely our experience.

When we first moved aboard we charged around the system covering copious amounts of it but actually seeing nothing of it.

Last year we decided we were actually going to properly visit the areas we were passing through so we visited the local Tourist Information centre, gathered up all the brochures for the surrounding attractions and stayed at each place as long as we could and moved the minimum distance. Not because we were taking the piss but because we were exploring our amazingly beautiful country with it's rich heritage. Which is why we became continuous cruisers.

During that year we suffered many "jokes" about us deciding to become continuous moorers or bridge hoppers. For the record we started the year in Worcester and finished it in Macclesfield - hardly a bridge hop but the attitude that you have to charge around to be considered within the guidelines seems to be endemic.

During that year we suffered many "jokes" about us deciding to become continuous moorers or bridge hoppers. For the record we started the year in Worcester and finished it in Macclesfield - hardly a bridge hop but the attitude that you have to charge around to be considered within the guidelines seems to be endemic.

Come on Ange you should know by now that most people do not understand the laws/rules that cover boats without a home mooring!!! I am in the Birmingham area and in the last 4 weeks have most probably only moved about 6 miles and I will be where I am now for another 11 days meaning 6 miles in 6 weeks, but this year I will cruise from Gloucester to Wigan.

We are still in beautiful Devizes right now and whenever I tell the various passers-by that we are heading for Birmingham they look at me as if I am totally mad, what on earth would happen if I said we were heading for Wigan?????

............Dave

We are still in beautiful Devizes right now and whenever I tell the various passers-by that we are heading for Birmingham they look at me as if I am totally mad, what on earth would happen if I said we were heading for Wigan?????

............Dave

They would ask you to bring back some pies anyway get a move on can't stay here for ever!!!

One more coat of epoxy in the water tank later today, tomorrow we head for Birmingham.

After a whole winter on the K&A we have almost become continuous moorers!!!!! Tomorrow its back to serious continuous cruising.

........Dave

............Dave

I thought you were watching paint dry. Any idea what happened at the bridge this morning, police, medics, ambulance? It was a bit early for me.

I thought you were watching paint dry. Any idea what happened at the bridge this morning, police, medics, ambulance? It was a bit early for me.

Final coat of epoxy went on this afternoon and so am I indeed watching it dry. Should set off towards Honeystreet tomorrrow but will not fill the watertank for another day or two.

Sadly I reckon someone died by the bridge today, I saw a passer-by then a paramedic trying resuscitation, but the ambulance did not arrive for almost an hour so I suppose (and very much hope) it was not deemed not urgent by that stage. A big puddle of blood but guess that was some last ditch action by the paramedics. This bit of canal does appear fated, a drowning a few weeks previous and a serious accident last year.

..........Dave