Roger Fuller boat list

PeterG

Featured Posts

thanks derek r for not treating me like a fool. i now know a little about Roger Fuller from your link. is Roger Fuller still building boats as these are hard times and his boats sound very expensive. is this why he is not on the internet ?

Still building? Very much so. I suspect his boat yard activities are taking up most of his time, hence the lack of updates on the former website. When someone has a good reputation they seldom need to advertise, word of mouth is sufficient. I do not know the Fullers, (Brother and family involved) but they are well known for building in the traditional style, and good quality at that.

This was a newly build Roger Fuller butty in August 2012, the owner having just taken delivery, and struggling with it a bit.

A full live-aboard, but unpowered, boat, with a full under cloth "conversion", (although it is not converted, of course!)

DSCF6416.JPG

Some budget priced boats which appear at first to be bargains have few, if any, of the above characteristics and some buyers have discovered that buying one was a false economy.

Indeed - it's about value not price.

thanks derek r for not treating me like a fool. i now know a little about Roger Fuller from your link. is Roger Fuller still building boats as these are hard times and his boats sound very expensive. is this why he is not on the internet ?

ok Harry - I did not think you were a fool but a clever troll. smile.png If you search this site for best shell builders or best boat builders there will be others that crop up time and time again who are not that well publicised - but do excellent work.

Edited by mark99

India was built for the owners in 1989 as a 70ft boat and was always called India. Sometime in the last few years the length of the cabin was extended by approx 6ft to add more living space.

This was a newly build Roger Fuller butty in August 2012, the owner having just taken delivery, and struggling with it a bit.

A full live-aboard, but unpowered, boat, with a full under cloth "conversion", (although it is not converted, of course!)

That's a very nice replica of a Braithwaite and Kirk butty, if I'm not much mistaken. (Not so sure about the wide top plank, though).

Martin Fuller once owned our B&K butty. In the course of renovation he discovered its original name when then letter HAM... appeared under coats of paint.

What are the numbers in the rear panel? They can't be genuine GU and BCN gauging numbers can they?

Here is a link to a site of a RF owner who also shows a couple of other RF builds.

http://www.sky-net.org.uk/canals/html/the_boatbuilder.html

IIRC there used to be a list starting from RF's 1st boat and brief description of about 40 RF boats on the "missing" RF website.

Edited by mark99

I've just received the following reply from Roger Fuller's daughter Rebekah.......

There is not a current Roger Fuller boatbuilders website. There will be a new one when he gets around to doing it and it will no doubt compile a list of boats built. In the meantime he's very much still building boats

(Thank you, Rebekah!)

There's several archived copies of the newest website, which is currently non operational, on the Wayback machine- http://web.archive.org/web/20130906084147/http://canalnarrowboats.com/PORTFOLIO.HTM

Hey that's really usefull. That's the "lost site" and it has the build list as I remember - ours is number 46.

Dave Harris has built boats at several locations over the years, including Stone.

Unusually, all he has ever done is build, restore and and fit out boats. For all the claims there aren't many with a CV like that.

His career began by chance when, as a schoolboy, the boat he was living on broke down at Autherly Junction and he got a job there at Water Travel.

I've seen the third boat he built almost 3 decades ago, when he was 18 (!) which is Northwich style and still immaculate.

He works single handedly to preserve the quality of his product and not counting mods, stretches, restorations and fit-outs, has completed 47 hulls to date.

I understand, from my spy at Dadford's Wharf, where he has been for some time now that number 48 is now under way.

Edited by andywatson

Andy - do you know if he built Willow? - it's a 56.5 foot trad hired out by the Middlewich Hire company.

Link to Willow.

http://www.middlewichboats.co.uk/classic-willow.html

I hired this a while back and it swims like a dream.

ETA - looking at some old photo's (builders plate) I took it looks like it might not be?

IMG_5308_zps5de91e8e.jpg

Edited by mark99

Doesn't that plate read 'Ivy Bridge Marine'? I'm sure Roger Farringdon had something to do with that after working for Balliol, and I know Dave Harris worked with Roger and Balliol at one time.

Yes it does as another image shows the word IVY.

IMG_5312_zps7cf854f6.jpg

Back cabin.

IMG_5319_zps6a74da58.jpg