Composting toilets:Airhead versus Separett Villa. Any thoughts anyone?

tove

Featured Posts

It depends on what type of toilet. With the Separett and Airhead, no you don't. This is because they separate out the liquids and the solids. You do still have to empty out the liquid tank. The Airhead tank is quite small but integral with the unit, about 6 litres if I remember correctly. Whereas the Separett having a separate tank you can have it as large as you like but will still need emptying I'll be using a 20l container for the task located below the hight of the toilet.

Both of these have a 12v fan which draws about 80mA.

The other toilets that don't separate out the liquids and solids usually have a heater built into them. However, I read of one boat installation where they ran the pipe from the engine to the calorifier under the toilet and used it for the heating.

Not all have heaters but most have heater options. Sun-Mar & Envirolet offer these options amongst others.

With ref to heating with engine water, you can also do this if you have boiler central heating we place a coil under the toilet in an insulated casing so the heat would rise to the bottom of the loo. We did do this and had it working, but the reducer from 15mm to 10mm copper failed over a winter when the boat was unattended. I simply re connected it back up quickly but bypassed the heat coil for a quick repair. I've simply not bothered to reconnect it. Might get this done for next winter though.

this is really interesting as I am new to boating...don't have a boat yet but am looking at all the green things that can be done on a narrow boat, as well as everything else before I take the plunge. So, apologies if I have missed it but at what point does poo become compost that can be used.....

this is really interesting as I am new to boating...don't have a boat yet but am looking at all the green things that can be done on a narrow boat, as well as everything else before I take the plunge. So, apologies if I have missed it but at what point does poo become compost that can be used.....

Hi,

My seperate toilet is put to compost every 2 months or so, my friend just puts it in his bin with the rest of his compost then as it goes down it gets used. I suppose it will be used within that season so as he still takes it their must be no problems

Peter

It won't fully compost in the toilet, it get's to a stage where it no longer smells and doesn't much resemble poo. It needs to be removed and finish composting on a heap if you want to utilise it. We don't so generally bury it or take it to an elsan. You could continue to fully compost it in a separate bin kept externally on the boat somewhere though if you want to use it.

• 2 months later...

Came late to the party on this one. Just noticed an advert for composting loos and started to research the web and read the threads on this forum. In think they are a great idea. My wife is not convinced. One thing I haven't found out is what happens to the toilet paper? In the toilet or ACCC separate bin?

Came late to the party on this one. Just noticed an advert for composting loos and started to research the web and read the threads on this forum. In think they are a great idea. My wife is not convinced. One thing I haven't found out is what happens to the toilet paper? In the toilet or ACCC separate bin?

Toilet paper in the loo with poo, it degrades very quickly.

She wasn't very keen on used loo paper in a bucket. When we go to the Crick show next year we will try to find people with these devices and manufacturers and decide the way to go.

Not going to go into the pros and cons of toilet systems but it is an interesting concept and would like to investigate further as it could work for us when we buy and become CCers.

Kevin and Jo

When you eventually empty it what about the most recent solid deposits which haven't had time to dry out/breakdown? Or does it work so quickly that that isn't an issue?

It depends on what make of compost loo you choose. Ours composts in 2 stages in one single unit using a rotating drum and finishing tray, so the youngest poo will be 8 to 12 weeks old when emptied. The more modern compost loos it seems you have to remove the poo into another receptacle to finish off composting, however that poo has been separated from urine so will compost quicker.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Since starting this thread last year I have had my Separett installed and am absolutely loving it. I would heartily recommend it to anyone on a boat. This is a bold boast but I honestly think it smells less than a household toilet. It did take a bit of getting used to at first and I had a couple of 'misses' in the early days. (Anyone you has one will know what I'm talking about!).

With regards to paper (without going into too much detail!) with my first bucket I decided to put the paper in a bin and burn it. This meant that it didn't need to be emptied for nearly three months but it also meant that the poo didn't dessicate as it should do so I simply took it to a disposal point. I'm on my second bucket now and am putting the paper in with the poo and it's getting on much better. Have also added some sawdust which I have in plentiful quantities as I'm still fitting out!

Hi Tove,

I am glad you went the composting way I put the paper down the loo and use sawdust as well. I still get rid of mine to John who puts it in his composting bin where the worms do their job and thereafter his veggies seem to be doing very well on it. Remember to keep an eye on the nuts and bolts that hold the loo together as they can loosen in time but happy composting to you captain.gif

Peter

I've just watched the video and I'm afraid I'm not convinced. The quality looks pretty poor to me and I really don't like that urine separation seat, but perhaps it just needs getting used to. Doesn't that urine pipe start to stink after a while if it's not rinsed?

http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/separett-villa-9000-compost-toilet/

My Vacuflush toilet is now 10 years old. I quite like the idea of a composting toilet, but if/when I finally need to replace my Vacuflush with something else I'm not sure if it will be one of these.

Edited by blackrose

Trying to decide between an Airhead composting toilet or the Separett Villa. I've spoken to owners of both (thanks very much particularly to Peterboat) and everyone seems very happy. Are they essentially the same model by different manufacturers?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or has recently been through the same decision making process, I would be most grateful for them.

POLITE REQUEST: Please restrict answers to the question. This is not a debate about composting versus non composting.:)

We went to look at them initially with the intention of buying the Airhead but when we saw it we didn't think it looked aesthetically pleasing, so we chose the Villa, which we thought looked much nicer and we are glad that we did. The price difference is to do with import taxes as they come from different countries.

• 3 years later...
On 27/04/2014 at 13:46, Tinhare said:

[...] As we live onboard full time we will be installing a villa [...]

Cheers,

Alan.

Sorry for reviving this nracothread - but did you do that and how's it been? I've got my separett in a box ready to go into my boat. I thought. Until I realised I have to make a wooden plinth for it to go on top of that I can put some kind of lowe level urine storage tank in...!

Lookiung for any handy tips but then it's not exactly rocket surgery...

44 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Sorry for reviving this nracothread - but did you do that and how's it been? I've got my separett in a box ready to go into my boat. I thought. Until I realised I have to make a wooden plinth for it to go on top of that I can put some kind of lowe level urine storage tank in...!

Lookiung for any handy tips but then it's not exactly rocket surgery...

Apart from one poster I think you will find the others no longer post? Perhaps the composting bogs drove them ashore?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Apart from one poster I think you will find the others no longer post? Perhaps the composting bogs drove them ashore?

I am moored at Castleford Tim would you believe that 3 of the boats moored here have composting loos! How we laff as we see the other moorers carrying those heavy containers to empty them........................every 3 days or so, they are so last year ?

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

........ And how they laugh at the 100 gallons of dried excrement stored on your poop deck! :)

Store mine in a composting bin at the moorings, as the bucket on the boat takes up to 3 months to fill I wouldnt be able to collect a 100 gallons of the stuff for years! As I said cassettes so last year and so heavy you can see them carrying them up the path for what seems hours ?