Tunnel Etiquette

RickH

Featured Posts

Hi all

This has never happened to me , but , I'm sure it might . Who has right of way when meeting a widebeam in a tunnel ? Lets say you meet half way , is it easier for the wide to reverse than the narrow ? Anyone had this expieriance ?

Sorry, no idea what the proper etiquette is; but speaking from a WB perspective it's like trying to reverse a 18 wheeler with a broken steering wheel and no mirrors....keep in mind I have no idea how hard it is to reverse a skinny boat.

I would "guess" the boat who was least way through the tunnel would be the one who would be expected to reverse, but then again who makes the decision?

I know for the big tunnels Braunston & Blisworth we need to book in advance with C&RT and I believe we go through about 8 in the morning with no oncoming traffic

The wide beam gives way because they should have booked passage with CaRT beforehand .

Lets assume it's not a super long tunnel where you have to book .

Sorry, no idea what the proper etiquette is; but speaking from a WB perspective it's like trying to reverse a 18 wheeler with a broken steering wheel and no mirrors....keep in mind I have no idea how hard it is to reverse a skinny boat.

I would "guess" the boat who was least way through the tunnel would be the one who would be expected to reverse, but then again who makes the decision?

I know for the big tunnels Braunston & Blisworth we need to book in advance with C&RT and I believe we go through about 8 in the morning with no oncoming traffic

Going in reverse in a narrow , espiecially mine is like reversing a brick , I'm thinking that a wide can only be constrained by the walls of the tunnel , making it easier ?

If its a tunnel in London the last boat in reverses out.

Since only a NB would enter if he could see a light coming the other way that means the NB reverses

That makes perfect sense to me and would work for any tunnel (unless there is a bend in it)

And I'm right in thinking no tunnel will take a wide and a narrow at the same time aren't I?

So its ok for wide beams to ignore the rules is that what your saying ?

Unless single handed then surely some one should walk to far end and stop boats entering all this rubbish about wide beams struggling to reverse in a tunnel there is less room width wise for them to bounce .

hopefully they only meet wide beams coming the other way .

If its a tunnel in London the last boat in reverses out.

Since only a NB would enter if he could see a light coming the other way that means the NB reverses

The smartest answer so far ! Makes sense . Thanks .

If the vessel is larger than you give way as the larger vessel might not be as manoverable and crashing should not be an option

True for open water but not so within the confines of a tunnel where the only maneuver available is backwards or forwards , except for a narrowbeam which could end up zig zagging backwards .

So its ok for wide beams to ignore the rules is that what your saying ?

No

I specifically said London tunnels.

These have notices on them saying do not enter if there is a boat coming the other way.

If a boat owner is stupid enough to ignore this rule then he/she gets all they deserve

? Don't get it , surely it's level or there would be a definate flow of water ?

You have been Bizzarded. Try reading some of his other posts

Our Bizzard has some very creative solutions, I wouldn't recommend you try to put them into practice

Richard

If the tunnels on a slant boats going up it should give way to boats coming down it. Just like on the road.

It's the other way round in the Highway Code vehicles going down a hill have to give way to ones going up the hill so boats should do the same surely, mind you we drive one the wrong side of the cut so who knows. Anyway like any most widebeams give way to anyonelaugh.png

K

Rule 155

Single-track roads. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

It's the other way round in the Highway Code vehicles going down a hill have to give way to ones going up the hill so boats should do the same surely, mind you we drive one the wrong side of the cut so who knows. Anyway like any most widebeams give way to anyonelaugh.png

K

Rule 155

Single-track roads. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

Mine was was from the old highway code before the MOT when most vehicles had poor or non existent brakes and couldn't always pull up when going downhill.

Way back in those days, if the slant was steep enough, it was often easier to reverse up than try to go forwards up it (old skool lorries)

One way to avoid the original issue being discussed here is to always reverse through every tunnel where there is any danger of meeting an oncoming wide-beam that you can't get past. It is then very easy to drive back out the way you have come, only now in forward gear. :lol:

Wait though!.....

There is a flaw with all this that nobody has yet thought of! What if you are also being followed by a wide-beam, as well as meeting one coming the other way.

Discuss!