Lovely engine description

scrunch

Featured Posts

Traditional position engine room houses a Lister HA2, ex RAF starter motor for the Vulcan Jet

In a Tug for sale .Just made me smile when I read description love it.

Somehow, that seems highly unlikely!

What engine does a Vulcan have? One of these perhaps?

MtB

There's something odd about that engine. The pics are not good, but it almost looks as though it has a belt-driven cooling fan, as used on (I think) the 4- & 6- cylinder versions, not normally on the 2 & 3 cylinder.

Also no mention of gearbox. The engine is apparently 'back to front' compared with a Lister marine unit, though that's not very unusual for a conversion.

Tim

Still seems unlikely. You'd think they'd use Russell Newberys wouldn't you?!

MtB

I saw a vid on utube where a cart (like a huge welding genny - not a wee Lister) was in place next to a jet (think it was a Vulcan) and looked like it was used to start it up. May have been pumping air. Not sure.

Many older planes needed an auxilary engine to start them, especially turbo props and early jets. A lot carried the engine with them and it was accessible towards the rear of the fusilage. In some cases the smaller planes had petrol aux but the beefy ones needed the diesel.

There's a regular drinker at the Dundas Arms, Kintbury, that used to fly Vulcans and was then squadron leader. Not a boater but if you see an old Jag with a very distinctive number plate in the car park, hunt him out.

I meant to add.... He would know

There's a regular drinker at the Dundas Arms, Kintbury, that used to fly Vulcans and was then squadron leader. Not a boater but if you see an old Jag with a very distinctive number plate in the car park, hunt him out.

I meant to add.... He would know

Hmmm now that's a strange place. Must go back there one day, I actually quite liked it!

MtB

Hi,

Engine aside, good Tony Francis hull, stripped and refitted and with a replacement engine possibly it would make a nice boat.

If anybody else has a Tony Francis boat I would be pleased to hear from them, not sure how many tug styles he built this size but this is the third I have come across, the others being tug styles one called Blakeney and mine Albion Mills.

Not sure when he stopped building boats but this (built 2001?) must be one of the last.

L.

There's something odd about that engine. The pics are not good, but it almost looks as though it has a belt-driven cooling fan, as used on (I think) the 4- & 6- cylinder versions, not normally on the 2 & 3 cylinder.

Also no mention of gearbox. The engine is apparently 'back to front' compared with a Lister marine unit, though that's not very unusual for a conversion.

Tim

Having found another view of the engine on the broker's website, that impression was just a trick of the light or camera, it does seem to be a bog standard industrial-type engine with a gearbox of some sort (not described or pictured) on the 'wrong' (flywheel) end.

Tim

I saw a vid on utube where a cart (like a huge welding genny - not a wee Lister) was in place next to a jet (think it was a Vulcan) and looked like it was used to start it up. May have been pumping air. Not sure.

That would make more sense, for the Lister to have been running an air compressor. So claiming it was a starter motor for Vulcans could be half true at least!

MtB

The engine description that made me chuckle was one I saw on the Duck.

A young lady was selling her NB and posted various pix of the boat with captions. The photo of the engine hole gave no info on the "lump" just the words "Here is my engine, its a lovely colour green"

Phil

The photo of the engine hole gave no info on the "lump" just the words "Here is my engine, its a lovely colour green"

Considering the comments made by some respected engine nerds about the flaky faded blue paint job of my superb Armstrong Siddely AS3 that always started on the first turn of the handle and never missed a beat, I have to conclude that the appearance of the engine is far more important than its performance.

Considering the comments made by some respected engine nerds about the flaky faded blue paint job of my superb Armstrong Siddely AS3 that always started on the first turn of the handle and never missed a beat, I have to conclude that the appearance of the engine is far more important than its performance.

I shall have to get some flakey,faded blue paint, that should help with my starting. LOL

Phil