Space Invaders - New "Angry Boater" blog post

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

Hello

I just signed up here and wanted to introduce myself & my "angry boater " blog -which I hope some of you will find interesting,

I'm a continuous cruiser , currently in London and have lived afloat for around 5 years now (in both marinas and my current nomadic form).

My blog - rather than chronicling the day to day adventures of a boater. - aims to examine issues pertinent to us. My goal with each post is usually to take an issue and try to explore what it means to me at a deeper level. On other occasions, I simply aim to entertain.

Feel free to add my blog to your reading list or to comment / disagree / praise anything that gets your attention,

It's at

http://www.angryboater.com

Joel

• Greenie 1

Are you the Joel of the blog ?

The Joel of the blog seems to have a funny concept of "ethics" (to use their own word) and reality - lets just take one example :-

Q: Why are CRT focussing so strongly on enforcement atm?

A: Because it makes life much harder for people who continuously cruise. This will increase the uptake of home moorings and therefore the dividends paid to BWML directors - ie the same people who initiated the programme of increased enforcement as they have a vested financial interest in doing so.
I would be very interested in the justification for the above statement
And then :-
"If I choose not to overstay somewhere, it’s not REALLY because I care about the rules or that I feel obliged to keep the system moving or create a space for another boater. It’s primarily because I’m fearful of the consequences I might incur by breaking the rules.
In the interests of full disclosure, I should also state that my water tank lasts just over 2 weeks. Consequently, for me, after 14 days I HAVE to move to fill up and - if I have gone to the trouble of driving my boat to the water point anyway - it’s not a significant extra burden to moor up again somewhere else afterwards.
My point is that, if (a) I was less fearful of authority and (B) I had a bigger water tank, I would find the temptation to overstay far greater than I do with my current temperament and tank capacity".
I'll give you my take on it - Enforcement makes the life of a CCer much easier, enforcement takes action / moves along those who overstay on the moorings, water points, sanitary stations, & lock landings enabling everyone - including CCers - to use them. A true CCer will never be adversely affected by the enforcement because a CCer will be 'Continuously Cruising in accordance with the licence requirements they have signed up to.
I understand the Joel of the blog is a CCer, has overstayed and received patrol notice(s) & maybe that is why "Joel" believes that enforcement "makes life harder" for a CCer.
I welcome your interpretation.
Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

Welcome Joel.

Interesting blog, after a brief read. I like the self-awareness and honesty of your style.

No need to post about it twice though. Plenty of traffic and comment here will result from just one mention!

MtB

Are you the Joel of the blog ?

The Joel of the blog seems to have a funny concept of "ethics" (to use their own word) and reality - lets just take one example :-

Q: Why are CRT focussing so strongly on enforcement atm?

A: Because it makes life much harder for people who continuously cruise. This will increase the uptake of home moorings and therefore the dividends paid to BWML directors - ie the same people who initiated the programme of increased enforcement as they have a vested financial interest in doing so.
I would be very interested in the justification for the above statement
And then :-
"If I choose not to overstay somewhere, it’s not REALLY because I care about the rules or that I feel obliged to keep the system moving or create a space for another boater. It’s primarily because I’m fearful of the consequences I might incur by breaking the rules.
In the interests of full disclosure, I should also state that my water tank lasts just over 2 weeks. Consequently, for me, after 14 days I HAVE to move to fill up and - if I have gone to the trouble of driving my boat to the water point anyway - it’s not a significant extra burden to moor up again somewhere else afterwards.
My point is that, if (a) I was less fearful of authority and (cool.png I had a bigger water tank, I would find the temptation to overstay far greater than I do with my current temperament and tank capacity".
I'll give you my take on it - Enforcement makes the life of a CCer much easier, enforcement takes action / moves along those who overstay on the moorings, water points, sanitary stations, & lock landings enabling everyone - including CCers - to use them. A true CCer will never be adversely affected by the enforcement because a CCer will be 'Continuously Cruising in accordance with the licence requirements they have signed up to.
I understand the Joel of the blog is a CCer, has overstayed and received patrol notice(s) & maybe that is why "Joel" believes that enforcement "makes life harder" for a CCer.
I welcome your interpretation.

I'm not a CC anymore but I used to be, and after having a cruise around London couple of weeks ago I have to say that enforcement is really needed. What a mess! Widebeams treble moored leaving almost no space to go through, boats constantly moored on Lock landings, water points, elsan disposal etc. Dinghies attached to the boats floating in the middle of the canal. That's not how the things were 4-5 years ago. I suppose the amount of boats in London must have gone through the roof though.

The main reason we do not take the boat into London any more is that it is now pretty much full of CC'ers.

As a BW chap said to me 10 years ago,"in the 70's the canals were mainly populated by waterways enthusiasts,these days they are considered as cheap housing for inconsiderate people."

The situation does not seem to have improved ?

CT

• Greenie 4

The main reason we do not take the boat into London any more is that it is now pretty much full of CC'ers.

As a BW chap said to me 10 years ago,"in the 70's the canals were mainly populated by waterways enthusiasts,these days they are considered as cheap housing for inconsiderate people."

CT

It's a pity really but 5 years ago with very little enforcement "London area" was pretty much self-managed by the boaters & it all worked reasonably well. Now with the amount of boats it doesn't seem to be a case anymore.

• Greenie 2

CT

Wow not heard that before

Nice to hear from you again Joel - I too like the honesty in your blog.

I enjoyed crewing on your boat when you did the tideway a couple of years ago. I've still got the link to your video somewhere...

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I am posting below what I believe is an example of the consequences of CRT not enforcing enough in London. Unfortunately some boaters are very inconsiderate and treblemoor in narrow areas making it hard for cruising boats to go though and much worse, moor in the landings to water points and locks not leaving another option but to doublemoor to them if one intends to fill up or go through the lock (the boats I'm speaking about are obviously not in the process of going through or filling up).The conversation below refers to a widebeam boat that was moored on the lock landing to City basin lock. The boat has sat there for days if not weeks and is leaving only 1 free mooring “mushroom” and a gap of about 30 feet. To make things even harder, they have also a dinghy attached to their boat and floating about.

The scary thing is not that they don't acknowledge that they are moored somewhere they shouldn't (men used to learn from their mistakes but this is not the case anymore in our selfish and not taking the blame world), they are also grouping and trying to accuse the boater that was trying to go through the lock.

P.s. I am not the one that sunk their dinghy. However I sympathise with those that actually move and moor in the designated areas and have to put up with scenarios like the one described.
2m26ucw.jpg
Edited by Ten
  • Greenie 3

Hello Alan de Enfield

In answer to your first question, I am the Joel of the blog . Can I presume you are Alan of the Canal ? May I call you Canalan?

I'm not sure what "ethics" you were referring to. Please clarify and I'll endeavour to elaborate. As for justifying /explaining the extract from my "scandalous" blog post that you quoted, doesn't the rest of that blog post do that already?

I agree that enforcement should makes cruising for all of us easier. However, when CRT sell off vast sections of visitor moorings in heavily populated areas for the winter - at the same, remember, as stoppages and potentially adverse weather conditions are at their peak - the cumulative effect is that the system slows down dramatically . Some boaters then find it harder to move; others simply resist doing so. The consequence, however, is that a larger number of continuous cruisers within that geographical area who are usually happy complying with the t & c's of their cruising license also slow down for fear that if they do move from one spot they will struggle to find another. I'm currently in London and usually double moor (not that I mind doing so). It's unrealistic to expect to be here and not double (or triple) moored much of the time.

Thanks for commenting Alan. Much appreciated

Cereal Tiller ! What a great username. It's a huge shame you feel you don't want to bring your boat into the capital anymore.

I enjoy being here. Actually I enjoy wherever I am if I'm honest.

Double mooring in london i-for me - is just another boating experience . It has it's pros and cons.

I find the vast majority of boaters here very considerate , irrespective of whether they are using their boat as cheap housing or not.

I wasn't boating 10 years ago - so can't compare with how it was then

CT

It's a pity really but 5 years ago with very little enforcement "London area" was pretty much self-managed by the boaters & it all worked reasonably well. Now with the amount of boats it doesn't seem to be a case anymore.

Yes , I agree, it's very busy here and of course enforcement is critical . My point is that the motives driving that enforcement may not be what they appear to be and this needs to be put into order

Hello Alan de Enfield

In answer to your first question, I am the Joel of the blog . Can I presume you are Alan of the Canal ? May I call you Canalan?

I'm not sure what "ethics" you were referring to. Please clarify and I'll endeavour to elaborate. As for justifying /explaining the extract from my "scandalous" blog post that you quoted, doesn't the rest of that blog post do that already?

I agree that enforcement should makes cruising for all of us easier. However, when CRT sell off vast sections of visitor moorings in heavily populated areas for the winter - at the same, remember, as stoppages and potentially adverse weather conditions are at their peak - the cumulative effect is that the system slows down dramatically . Some boaters then find it harder to move; others simply resist doing so. The consequence, however, is that a larger number of continuous cruisers within that geographical area who are usually happy complying with the t & c's of their cruising license also slow down for fear that if they do move from one spot they will struggle to find another. I'm currently in London and usually double moor (not that I mind doing so). It's unrealistic to expect to be here and not double (or triple) moored much of the time.

Thanks for commenting Alan. Much appreciated

Cereal Tiller ! What a great username. It's a huge shame you feel you don't want to bring your boat into the capital anymore.

I enjoy being here. Actually I enjoy wherever I am if I'm honest.

Double mooring in london i-for me - is just another boating experience . It has it's pros and cons.

I find the vast majority of boaters here very considerate , irrespective of whether they are using their boat as cheap housing or not.

I wasn't boating 10 years ago - so can't compare with how it was then

Yes , I agree, it's very busy here and of course enforcement is critical . My point is that the motives driving that enforcement may not be what they appear to be and this needs to be put into order

I agree. In fact overstaying doesn't bother me that much, but points I mentioned earlier do.

Nice to hear from you again Joel - I too like the honesty in your blog.

I enjoyed crewing on your boat when you did the tideway a couple of years ago. I've still got the link to your video somewhere...

Thanks for the complement. I remember our trip well !!!! I haven't been back on that stretch of the Thames but I did the calmer bit to Oxford last year ! It was wonderful .

Very good! It's great to read an articulate, thought provoking blog.

Bob

Thank you Bob

It's nothing to do with wanting everyone on moorings in London, because there aren't any are there? It's more to do with it becoming really difficult for everyone else who is trying to use the canal in London. They are complaining to CRT.

And people hate change, we can remember what it used to be like, people complain because it has really changed. They want it back to how it was before. New boaters and people who are new to London don't know what it used to be like so of course they can't understand why people say it is overcrowded and why people are complaining about them.

As for me, I don't go into town anymore, I don't find it much fun, tbh. I've been nagged repeatedly to be a trial caretaker moorer, but I can't think of anything worse than being stuck in town with people peering through the window and complaining about my burner or engine. I can't see the appeal! Maybe if I was 20 and it was all new and exciting and just like being at a festival, I would love it, but now, no - I'll do my boating out of town where it's less bonkers.

And I'm so grateful and lucky to have a mooring, especially at the moment, my partners dad is seriously ill - it would be a complete nightmare to try and manage ccing with what we are having to deal with out of town.

Edited by Lady Muck

Hi lady muck

Yes, I understand why you would value a mooring right now. We all want and need different things depending on our circumstances .

A real shame you no longer enjoy coming into london. I like being here but there is a stress that comes with it , for sure. It's an odd thing but even though the buzz of london has a huge pull for me, I feel more relaxed when I'm away from it.