Space Invaders - New "Angry Boater" blog post

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

I am posting below what I believe is an example of the consequences of CRT not enforcing enough in London. Unfortunately some boaters are very inconsiderate and treblemoor in narrow areas making it hard for cruising boats to go though and much worse, moor in the landings to water points and locks not leaving another option but to doublemoor to them if one intends to fill up or go through the lock (the boats I'm speaking about are obviously not in the process of going through or filling up).The conversation below refers to a widebeam boat that was moored on the lock landing to City basin lock. The boat has sat there for days if not weeks and is leaving only 1 free mooring “mushroom” and a gap of about 30 feet. To make things even harder, they have also a dinghy attached to their boat and floating about.

The scary thing is not that they don't acknowledge that they are moored somewhere they shouldn't (men used to learn from their mistakes but this is not the case anymore in our selfish and not taking the blame world), they are also grouping and trying to accuse the boater that was trying to go through the lock.

P.s. I am not the one that sunk their dinghy. However I sympathise with those that actually move and moor in the designated areas and have to put up with scenarios like the one described.

2m26ucw.jpg

City Basin lock is actually a good example. There is always someone moored in the lock landing. I've seen a guy not long ago trying to go through in his 70' narrowboat (single-handed) and he was really struggling, he couldn't double moor as there was this bloody dinghy attached to the boat closest to the lock. I ended up giving him a hand as it was quite windy and the boat was going all over the place.

• Greenie 1

Hi Joel- Blog added to 'favourites'. I like your style.

With regards to London, it's just too hustley bustley for me & too many humans.

Thank you Ronnie . I very much appreciate your support .

Hi Joel.

A great writing style. You should really consider publishing a book of short boating anecdotes. It would make a great Christmas present for some boaters.

Thanks Dean. I am gearing myself up for something along those lines. The blog is partly to get me into the habit and discipline of writing again.

Hi Joel

As an adoptive Mancunian I particularly enjoyed the bits of your blog that weren't concerned with CC-ing in the capital. Keep it up!

Just read "Manchester" in your head every time I write 'london". Appreciate the complement

City Basin lock is actually a good example. There is always someone moored in the lock landing. I've seen a guy not long ago trying to go through in his 70' narrowboat (single-handed) and he was really struggling, he couldn't double moor as there was this bloody dinghy attached to the boat closest to the lock. I ended up giving him a hand as it was quite windy and the boat was going all over the place.

Yes, that's often an interesting area. Last time I went to fill up with water across from there (it was 630 am ) , a boat was moored at the water point and had clearly been there all night (I found out later they had been there a week). I moored alongside them and clambered over their boat so I could connect my hose etc. A woman came out to complain that I'd woken her up. I pointed out the obvious and she told me CRT had given her permission to stay there . There are 5 water points in Central london and hundreds of boats . It was staggering to me that one boater would feel they have the right to hijack one of those taps for their exclusive use. I wish I'd arrived at 4 am instead.

Unlike most blogs I've tried to read (admittedly not that many, due to terminal boredom), perceptive, humorous, even moving in places but, best of all, well written, with grammar and syntax to please all old farts . Good luck to you.

Slainte.

John Wilkinson.

Fantastic blog, far too entertaining, completely ruined my early night last night and now too tired to paint the engine bilge ( a worthy excuse!)

I too was extremely happy to sand the old name of my boat and now can't decide on a new one. Its a big decision to make. Isn't there an I-phone app for this kind if thing :)

Fantastic blog, far too entertaining, completely ruined my early night last night and now too tired to paint the engine bilge ( a worthy excuse!)

I too was extremely happy to sand the old name of my boat and now can't decide on a new one. Its a big decision to make. Isn't there an I-phone app for this kind if thing :)

Just my take on naming boat, make it personal to you.

My name is Ambrose so our first boat was "Amber Rose" and our present boat is "Amber Rose Too" though this has prompted the odd numpty to comment "Look, he can't spell two"

Oh love the blog Joel

Phil

Just my take on naming boat, make it personal to you.

My name is Ambrose so our first boat was "Amber Rose" and our present boat is "Amber Rose Too" though this has prompted the odd numpty to comment "Look, he can't spell two"

Oh love the blog Joel

Phil

Thanks Phil. Are u moored in Camden atm by any chance?

Unlike most blogs I've tried to read (admittedly not that many, due to terminal boredom), perceptive, humorous, even moving in places but, best of all, well written, with grammar and syntax to please all old farts . Good luck to you.

Slainte.

John Wilkinson.

Thank you, John. I am consciously avoiding the more conventional 'travelogue' approach. The ultimate goal is to be able to plug my typing fingers directly into my soul .

Hi Joel, not been in Camden for 50 years, used to live around NW London but escaped in the 80's and now in the Fens

Phil

Hi again Phil

I thought I walked past an Amber Rose in Camden yesterday. Perhaps it was your old boat

Hi again Phil

I thought I walked past an Amber Rose in Camden yesterday. Perhaps it was your old boat

Hi Joel, unlikely to me our ex boat as she was a 40 X 12 Broads tub, I know there are several Amber Rose listed on Jim Shead site. (Funny if it was though)

Phil

I can't claim I wouldn't have reacted in the same way, faced with that situation, but it's easier to pretend I would have said 'D'oh' with a smile, and perhaps tap self on head.

However, to consider another bit of the same blog post, there's nothing to stop you from going through a lock backwards, Doesn't half confuse people!

I can't claim I wouldn't have reacted in the same way, faced with that situation, but it's easier to pretend I would have said 'D'oh' with a smile, and perhaps tap self on head.

However, to consider another bit of the same blog post, there's nothing to stop you from going through a lock backwards, Doesn't half confuse people!

So would you really have replied with this?

“I don’t like the way you are speaking,” I snapped, “There is no grace in your tone. You have a cocky & superior sneer. Why is that?”

I have been thinking about why there are so many arses involved with boating.

Having read your post it would seem that you were the one provoking the reaction. So why feel the nees to write and gloat about it. angry.png

Rxplained in the OP surely. He has an angry blog to fill up with forced angryness.

Hope that hels (the OP, that is). Now he can write on his blog about all the smug gits on CWF...

Good point from Delta9 too.

MtB

Moving on though, I have a problem that blog tale. Given the OP found he could alight from the stern of boat once winded, I'm wondering why could he not alight from the fore end in the same way, without winding the boat.

MtB

It makes you wonder if boating makes him so angry why he continues to do itfrusty.gif

Cheap housing?

MtB