Recommendations please for (a) washing machine (b) eye-level oven.

jeanb

Featured Posts

We are contemplating installing a small washing machine as part of an upgrade to the kitchen/galley in a 57 foot narrowboat.

Also, we are considering having a built-in oven with a separate 2 or 3 ring hob fitted as part of the refurb; and would be very grateful for recommendations please.

The best thing you could do is search sites like Midland Chandlers, they have a freaky Friday in about a month or so, some may benefit from their 20% discount day! and there are others available.

Candy,Hotpoint,Zanuzsi and probably more do a shallow,front to back, washing machine. Once again search on line and of course ebay. I know there is such a machine for sale on here for,I think £150. Not new of course but looks good. A tiny bit of damage.

The more you look the more you will see what is available. The 20% discount is worth waiting for if you can.

Martyn

Presumably you are looking at a gas oven ?

As part of your upgrade planning have you also considered the electrical supply - is your inverter big enough, and do you have enough batteries to run it with the extra load of a washing machine. What methos do you have of getting he addistional charge 'back into' the batteries

Instead of the usual highly over-priced midget Candy / Zanussi washing machines, take a look at this

http://www.gorenje.co.uk/laundry/washing_machines?c=453321

Normal height and width, but only 440mm deep.

A very good quality brand, and mostly sold with a 5 year guarantee as standard.

Do you know how much and where from?

Instead of the usual highly over-priced midget Candy / Zanussi washing machines, take a look at this

http://www.gorenje.co.uk/laundry/washing_machines?c=453321

Normal height and width, but only 440mm deep.

A very good quality brand, and mostly sold with a 5 year guarantee as standard.

I have a candy and I am very pleased with it. However, looking at the stats on the one advertised above, it looks very good. Especially if it takes up to 6kg load. My candy does 3 kg.

Thanks all, and Alan: Yes, a gas oven. There are several at various chandlers but recommendations are a bit thin on the ground. Hence our query.

'Most" gas ovens will work providing they have LPG jet options, and have a flame failure devices fitted.

Then the next thing you'll need to consider is providing a 240v electricity supply to power the fan (if fitted)

Washing machines check they have a time save cycle, and what water useage is. Most importantly try and get one with hot and cold fill if cold fill then fit a mixer in feed line so that you can supply it with warm water.

Washing machines check they have a time save cycle, and what water useage is. Most importantly try and get one with hot and cold fill if cold fill then fit a mixer in feed line so that you can supply it with warm water.

You'll have a hard time with that if you want a new machine.

We are contemplating installing a small washing machine as part of an upgrade to the kitchen/galley in a 57 foot narrowboat.

Also, we are considering having a built-in oven with a separate 2 or 3 ring hob fitted as part of the refurb; and would be very grateful for recommendations please.

Candy has 3.5kg unit with Cold wash function.

http://ao.com/product/AQUA100F1-Candy-Washing-Machine-White-24288.aspx?WT.z_PT=MDA&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_DT=c&WT.z_APT=washing%20machines&WT.z_BR=Candy&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_PC=AQUA100F/1_WH&WT.mc_id=1&gclid=CMPrlKec9rwCFQnpwgodQp0AcQ

I used to have one of these (older model, but i think its only cosmetic difference) and it worked very well. The overall consumption is under 1000w but if you connect cold fill to hot water outlet the heating element won't come on at all. It also has a 30 mins program.

Candy has 3.5kg unit with Cold wash function.

http://ao.com/product/AQUA100F1-Candy-Washing-Machine-White-24288.aspx?WT.z_PT=MDA&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_DT=c&WT.z_APT=washing%20machines&WT.z_BR=Candy&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_PC=AQUA100F/1_WH&WT.mc_id=1&gclid=CMPrlKec9rwCFQnpwgodQp0AcQ

I used to have one of these (older model, but i think its only cosmetic difference) and it worked very well. The overall consumption is under 1000w but if you connect cold fill to hot water outlet the heating element won't come on at all. It also has a 30 mins program.

I've been looking at this machine, but feel confused about the 'cold fill' comment? If you connect cold water to the hot water, doesn't the machine attempt to heat it onboard?

I've been looking at this machine, but feel confused about the 'cold fill' comment? If you connect cold water to the hot water, doesn't the machine attempt to heat it onboard?

He means connect the cold inlet of the machine (there is only a cold inlet) to the boat's hot water supply. Thus the machine fills with hot water and thus the electrical heater is not needed. Personally rather than doing that I would connect it to some sort of mixer so that I can have hot-ish water for the wash and then manually select cold for the rinses - otherwise there would be no hot water left! I have meant to dot his with ours but currently it's still on cold fill. Provided the engine is running, the electricity required for the heater is not really significant and once the wash cycle is complete the engine can be stopped (although we tend to cruise whilst we wash anyway).

He means connect the cold inlet of the machine (there is only a cold inlet) to the boat's hot water supply. Thus the machine fills with hot water and thus the electrical heater is not needed. Personally rather than doing that I would connect it to some sort of mixer so that I can have hot-ish water for the wash and then manually select cold for the rinses - otherwise there would be no hot water left! I have meant to dot his with ours but currently it's still on cold fill. Provided the engine is running, the electricity required for the heater is not really significant and once the wash cycle is complete the engine can be stopped (although we tend to cruise whilst we wash anyway).

Ah, OK, that makes sense, and a good idea re the mixer and manual switchover, thank-you!