Has anyone seen Mettela?

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Riding my bicycle en route from Lichfield to Darlington last May,I stopped by a narrowboat on the Peak District Canal and had a chat with the very pleasant (?)skipper of 'Mettela' As he said he was interested in Bluegrass music I sent him some of my CDs (eg. Nothin' Fancy, The Bluegrass Brothers, Rhonda Vincent). As we're in England next week I thought that if they are sort of near our route we could pop round to say "Hello!" and I thought perhaps I could ask here if anyone has any idea of Mettela's location. I have their phone number but thought I'd ask here first... (touches peak of cap as a sign of thanks ;) )

Sorry gents, mine was a possibly obscure musical reference (hmm, not like me at all then). there was a 1970s film 'Deliverance' which was famous for its bluegrass music soundtrack, notably 'Duelling Banjos', a duet between a normal chap and a gifted retard.

Sorry gents, mine was a possibly obscure musical reference (hmm, not like me at all then). there was a 1970s film 'Deliverance' which was famous for its bluegrass music soundtrack, notably 'Duelling Banjos', a duet between a normal chap and a gifted retard.

But it did get diverted to one of the less musical elements of the plot ....

Moored in North Yorkshire

I know you were being helpful so please do not take this the wrong way!! I would hope that if anyone came on here asking for my location people would respect my privacy and say nothing. There are certainly people I would rather not know where I am. Edited by FadeToScarlet
  • Greenie 1

If anyone wants to know where I am, I'd expect them to either PM me on the forum or use the e-mail address in my profile. I'd be a bit upset if anyone published the exact location of my boat without my permission, as it's empty a lot of the time.

Quite. There was another case on here of someone asking for a boat location.

Turned out a battering was planned for the steerer, who was involved in a love triangle or something like that, IIRC. Good thing no-one spilled the beans on where he was.

MtB

Thanks - yes, I should have said to PM me, sorry about that, as it's not really anybody else's business where people are - although if you have the name of your boat painted on the outside it's "in the public domain" anyway. Yes, they last told me they were in The Yorkshire area. And I shall phone first of course.

As for the Bluegrass - forget 'Duelling Banjos', that's rubbish (at least, I hate it!). The real thing is to go to a Bluegrass jam in some country store in Virginia/West Virginia/Tennessee. Bluegrass festivals are also excellent events - these musicians have real talent, unlike things like Britney Spears and Paul McCartney.

Youtube has clips of Nothin' Fancy, The Bluegrass Brothers, Rhonda Vincent, and so on.

I had a nice experience 4 years ago filling up the car with gasoline near Roanoke, Virginia, country music coming out of the gas station loudspeakers whilst the Appalachians to the west were bathed in a glorious sunset. Driving around and across the Appalachians listening to Bluegrass/Country (ie. local) music on the radio/CD-player can be very nice - probably akin to listening to some nice music on Classic FM whilst cooking your English Breakfast on board your boat on a sunny Sunday morning...

Try these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Tx84WKL_Y

(we took a bag of bottles of English beer and chocolate & sweets to Mike Andes the mandolin player / main singer - he said he'd never been to Europe)(my (then) 2 teenage kids saw this band playing in Harrisonburg, VA one New Year's Eve and their jaws dropped at how amazing this band is)

THIS is more Country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clY8xp8KLas

Bluegrass again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClAbKEoEVE

(Victor Dowdy's son is left handed but doesn't use left-handed instrument, just plays right-handed ones upside-down!)

Last one:

Apologies for going up a backwater!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

No need to apologise. You remind me that a couple of years ago I saw a wonderful band called Hayseed Dixie, I guess some of their music was bluegrass and some wasn't, but they were highly skilled and entertaining.

I know you were being helpful so please do not take this the wrong way!! I would hope that if anyone came on here asking for my location people would respect my privacy and say nothing. There are certainly people I would rather not know where I am.

Apologies. I fully understand.

Didn't engage brain before posting.

No need to apologise. You remind me that a couple of years ago I saw a wonderful band called Hayseed Dixie, I guess some of their music was bluegrass and some wasn't, but they were highly skilled and entertaining.

I remember them! Didn't they do bluegrass versions of Led Zeppelin tracks?

Last Saturday I saw a band in the pub do a truly excellent bluegrass interpretation of Hendrix's 'Voodoo Chile'!

MtB

A brilliant film, one to watch if people haven't seen it. I scary film, because it could really happen.

I remember them! Didn't they do bluegrass versions of Led Zeppelin?

MtB

I've had one Hayseed Dixie track on my iPod for 5 or so years. Their version of Aerosmith's "Walk this way" It's brilliant.

I remember them! Didn't they do bluegrass versions of Led Zeppelin tracks?

Last Saturday I saw a band in the pub do a truly excellent bluegrass interpretation of Hendrix's 'Voodoo Chile'!

MtB

The may indeed have covered Zep though, as their name suggests, they were originally noted for playing AC-DC (Australian rock group) songs in a bluegrass style.

I've just looked back at my notes in the 2012 Cropredy festival programme and see that their songs which impressed me the most were Bad Moon Rising (CCR) and Bohemian Rhapsody) (Queen).

Edited by Athy