Unusual Pets on Boats?

nailora

Featured Posts

Dear ones,

Despite my best attempts to smuggle American wildcats onto the English canals over the summer, it looks like I am petless. My husband is allergic to cats, but that particular cat was an unusual creature that he was willing to make an exception for. Now I am desperate for a small friend to live on my boat.

A lovely animal that I enjoy very much is the ferret, and I am pleased to see that they appear to be cheaper, healthier and better-understood here than in the States (possibly because they're still working animals here.) I would enjoy one/two as a pet very much, and believe that I could give them a good life, but a lot of the best and most appropriate cages won't fit on the boat!

Caging is an interesting issue, and I'd be very interested in hearing from boaters who keep caged pets on their boats. As floorspace is always going to be at a premium, I'm expecting there might be some interesting modifications and self-build ideas from handy pet lovers who found clever solutions. And I'm interested to hear about how non-standard pets do on boats. There are some that I wouldn't consider (rabbits, for example) because I feel like they wouldn't be able to play or exercise properly when taken out of the cage - am I right or am I wrong?

Does anyone keep pets on boats other than the old traditional cat/dog/small child trifecta? What animals do well on boats? What solutions have you found for them?

And would I be really better off by raising my own swan?

Thoughts warmly welcomed.

If you want a swan it's not allowed to be 1 of our bog standard swans (mute swan? which definitely arent mute, sound more like pigs or snakes half the time) cuz they belong to the Queen (apart from a few which belong to some organisation somewhere) so it would need to be 1 of them foreign ones that visit, probably a law against that as well seeing as they are wild, & I wouldnt have thought they'd make a suitable pet.

If it's a trad stern how about a cage in the back above the engine, put it on the roof when cruising, bung up the gaps in winter so it isnt too cold.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps I should have clarified that a pet swan is meant to be a joke - although mute swans and I are very fond of each other and I wouldn't object to having one if I had a pond!

(You CAN buy swans, should the necessity ever come up in your life - http://www.ukwaterfowl.co.uk/category/bird/12/ - I can attest that black swans can become quite tame!)

Hmm, the engine room is indeed a warm place that isn't too drafty.

Hi ya ,

Paint a face on a football, it worked for Tom Hanks !.

You don't have to feed it, it's obvious when it's ill or feeling a bit deflated, You could take it for Exercise in keeping with it's age Anything from a Fast repetitive bounce down the stairs when new,to a short roll when older & it floats if it falls in,, perfect !.

Or just get a Cat,that gives up the warm seat when it's cold, Now That's unusual !.

Hippos would be brilliant indeed, did you know that in the 1900s America was going to import them into the swamps to halt the spread of waterweed and solve "The Meat Question" ?? But sadly I think local regulations hate Fun.

Thanks Nulife but I'm allergic to footballs :/

On a more serious note, I suppose the things to consider is Space available, Would you need a Cage,Tank,Hutch ect, Will your chosen friend need access to the outside,if so for how long & ofcourse then there is the space that has to be dedicated to it's keep Food,Hay,Bedding,Special requirements ect Also a thing that might have an impact is the more unusual or exotic the pet,,,think about the cost and availability of a suitable Vet. & lastly Smell,,, after emerging from your winter hibernation on your boat,throwing your cabin doors open on the first sunny spring day,only to see the immediate Flora & Forna whilt.

But let us know what your final decision is !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Brilliant !,

It's amazing what goes on behind closed doors.

That is so good,I can't even imagine how the pony turns around,,but maybe that's an advantage !.

I wonder if he is wearing Wellies.

Absolutely brilliant,,

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

A lovely animal that I enjoy very much is the ferret, and I am pleased to see that they appear to be cheaper, healthier and better-understood here than in the States (possibly because they're still working animals here.) I would enjoy one/two as a pet very much, and believe that I could give them a good life, but a lot of the best and most appropriate cages won't fit on the boat!

Caging is an interesting issue, and I'd be very interested in hearing from boaters who keep caged pets on their boats. As floorspace is always going to be at a premium, I'm expecting there might be some interesting modifications and self-build ideas from handy pet lovers who found clever solutions. And I'm interested to hear about how non-standard pets do on boats. There are some that I wouldn't consider (rabbits, for example) because I feel like they wouldn't be able to play or exercise properly when taken out of the cage - am I right or am I wrong?

Nailora, your problem was resolved in the 1950. When we imported a ferret like north American animal. They are free running throughout most of the inland waterways. So you will not need a cage. As accomplished self providers, you will also not have to provide food for them. Though I understand due to a scarcity of their favourite nibbles the water voles - CaRT are running a project to provide a fresh supply. They have a very warm coat which the owner can also take advantage of. As for living aboard boats. They have been known to get aboard if a window is left open.

If I had one I would name it Mini the minx!

Hi ya ,

Paint a face on a football, it worked for Tom Hanks !.

You don't have to feed it, it's obvious when it's ill or feeling a bit deflated, You could take it for Exercise in keeping with it's age Anything from a Fast repetitive bounce down the stairs when new,to a short roll when older & it floats if it falls in,, perfect !.

Or just get a Cat,that gives up the warm seat when it's cold, Now That's unusual !.

If space is tight, use a golf ball.....

Bod

In Rickmansworth a few months ago I saw a wide beam with a big wheelhouse, and in the wheelhouse was at least one parrot just sat loose on the windowsill. In the same area I saw a narrowboat with a chicken coop built onto the top of it. It looked disgusting as there was chicken shit rolling down the sides of the boat.

Also I seem to remember a boat in Cassiobury Park just before christmas that had a butty next to it with an aviary built onto it containing birds of prey.