Crt licences

tjderby

Featured Posts

I'm certainly not rising to that old chestnut again, but nice try!

However, even if it were true, then two boats the size of Sickle have anyway collectively paid very much more for their two licences than the 70' by 12 barge has, (undiscounted prices are £1,446.82 for 2 x 40 feet, and £1,028.00 for 1 x 70 feet), so I think you have very adequately proved my case anyway that the latter needs to pay significantly more than say a 70' by 7' narrow boat!

Not at all

Assuming draft to be the same, for convenience we will say 3, then 2x sickle takes up 43x14x3 or 1806cuft a 70x12 barge takes up 2520cu ft. So irrespective of the locks height there will be 660cu ft less water in there when the barge is in there. Ergo it must use less water. :)

I suspect he is talking about Old Goody's rather forthright way of saying their piece.

I actually agree with Old Goody in principle, but not in the manner of expressing it, which I think achieves nothing, and makes newcomers feel they are being got at.

OldGoldy presumably?

A bad tempered post yes, but not what I'd describe as 'bitchy'.

An attempt to discuss the fairness of the licencing system suggests the OP finds it unfair.

My (potentially bitchy) comment was also meant as an observation that our views on fairness are coloured by our personal circumstances. Once I start living on my boat I'll probably decide residential licences should be free!

MtB

Not at all

Assuming draft to be the same, for convenience we will say 3, then 2x sickle takes up 43x14x3 or 1806cuft a 70x12 barge takes up 2520cu ft. So irrespective of the locks height there will be 660cu ft less water in there when the barge is in there. Ergo it must use less water. smile.png

Errrr.... NO!

I think some people need to turn down their sensitivity receptors.

There was nothing wrong with OldGoldy's or MTB's posts.

OG's was forthright yes but not offensive or bitchy in any way and Mikes was clearly a joke.

Lighten up for gawds sake people...

You didn't notice my 'winky' then? My post was in jest but Higgs took it seriously! Or did you mean someone else's post?

MtB

No, Higgs didn't take it seriously. Higgs thought it was ambiguous. Didn't know which way to take it.

Just wanted to clear things up for you. wink.png

P.S. We've almost derailed the thread off topic now into a discussion about lock water consumption!

Going back to the origanal post I guess the only way to come anywhere close to getting a licence that allows PAYG is to moor in a marina that does not require you to have a licence (there are a few) and buy a short term licence for a period during which you can come and go cruise as you wish. Or 'in extremis' you could take the boat out the water all together, not really practical if living on it long term, and there would likely be costs associated with doing that anyway.

The cost of a short term licence are generally not regarded as good value compared to a full year one though, though if you only plan to be on CRT waters for a much shorter period of course they are good value as you are not paying for a time period you would not be utilising.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/2673.pdf

You also could not cruise outside of your licence period.

Edited by The Dog House

All boats use the same amount of water going down in a lock, regardless of their size.

Not true! A widebeam boat is obliged to do a broad lock on its own. A narrowboat can share that lock with another narrowboat, thus 2 boats get through the lock for the same amount of water used.

Also, a shorter narrowboat could share a narrow lock with another short boat (so long as they fit), thus using less water per boat.

It gets even worse when you consider staircase locks. In a 2 chamber broad staircase, 3 full length narrowboats (2 up/1 down or 2 down/1 up) can share it, because they are narrow enough to pass each other in the middle with a bit of a shuffle. A full length widebeam must do it on its own, because there is no opportunity to pass it mid way.

How about boats that only move infrequently pay double the licence of continuous cruisers because the entire waterways system is being maintained (at cost) for the benefit of all, but the boats which don't go anywhere aren't contributing their part of keeping on top of weed control, keeping lock mechanisms free and functioning etc etc? Therefore the CCers are both paying for and contributing work to the effort of maintenance...

If boats don't travel then there won't be a canal to pay for, thankfully we have high users of the system including ccers to help.

That doesn't follow. It would suit CRT just fine if boats never moved.

Look at the Basingstoke Canal. No boats at all and it's still there, jealously guarded by locals who need somewhere to walk the dog.

MtB

How about boats that only move infrequently pay double the licence of continuous cruisers because the entire waterways system is being maintained (at cost) for the benefit of all, but the boats which don't go anywhere aren't contributing their part of keeping on top of weed control, keeping lock mechanisms free and functioning etc etc? Therefore the CCers are both paying for and contributing work to the effort of maintenance...

This is not confusing. You're definitely taking the P.

but the boats which don't go anywhere aren't contributing their part of keeping on top of weed control, keeping lock mechanisms free and functioning etc etc? Therefore the CCers are both paying for and contributing work to the effort of maintenance...

.....but the boats that don't go anywhere are keeping the VMs free for the CMers CCers.....tongue.png