Crt licences

tjderby

Featured Posts

This topic has probably been covered so please forgive me. I want to discuss licencing fees and give me opinion on them. Firstly and this is just my opinion, I think if your on a residential mooring then you shouldn't have to pay as much as people who continuously cruise. Maybe a sort of sorn like you would a car. And then when you want to take it out the marina you buy a temporary licence. What do you think? I just dint see how it's fair for people to have to pay the same as CCers when you only use the network every so often.

Thoughts?

Edited by tjderby

Licence fees should be structured on size and cruising area.

to access the whole system you need to have a 57ft narrow boat or less so these should be the most expensive.

All boats less than 57ft should be the same price as there is no difference to wear an tear on the system.

60ft should cost less and so on up to 70ft which would be the cheapest narrowboat.

Widebeams should be charged less as their cruising area is restricted by the midlands, so you would get a north or south licence for them.

Boats based on the K&A should be next down the list as they are restricted to the K&A unless they buy another (Thames) licence.

Finally boats based on the isolated canals (Mon and Brec) would be at the bottom of the pricing range.

It depends on the marina - for example we moored at Shardlow and didn't need a licence but in our current marina we do. Check out the temporary licences as they were being issued incorrectly and I think that has been enforced. If you ring Sawley (they can issue licences), they will explain what short term licences are available and when they can be issued.

Have you got a boat yet?

Widebeams should be charged less as their cruising area is restricted by the midlands, so you would get a north or south licence for them.

Or more, as they use more water, and cause more congestion, by not being able to share broad locks.

Or need CRT on site attendance to gain a passage through the tunnels.

With a few alterations it could mean off the canal network and in a marina lol

Exactly and there are Marinas around the area that you are looking that do not need the boat to be licensed so you can just get a temporary licence when you need one.

Unfortunately the marina you have committed to is not one of them.

Here is one marina that does not require C&RT licences

http://www.jannel.co.uk/Moorings.htm

It makes sense from a "licence relates to usage" point of view (ie,the boat owner's side of the argument) but the problem is, there's a lot of boats which would do this and then CRT would be seriously out-of-pocket. The result would be massively increased licence fees for those who do stay on the canals, eg online moorings and CCers.

Unfortunately, you can't use the canal like a laundrette. A boat licence for a boat that moors 200 miles away is still paying towards the patch of canal outside your marina. It's a joint effort. Like the road, if you only use the car on sundays it isn't exempt of tax for the rest of the week. The road off your drive still needs to be maintained, even for someone that hardly uses it.

It makes sense from a "licence relates to usage" point of view (ie,the boat owner's side of the argument) but the problem is, there's a lot of boats which would do this and then CRT would be seriously out-of-pocket. The result would be massively increased licence fees for those who do stay on the canals, eg online moorings and CCers.

Or we could go back to paying a fee at every lock or toll point with each boat marked to indicate its dimensions and draft etc. This would clearly make a major dent in the unemployment statistics.

Or perhaps we should adopt the suggestion on another thread that each boat is required to have a kind of tachograph or one of the devices to monitor car usage for young drivers and pay by the lock-mile.

Or we could just stay with something simple and cost-effective.

This topic has probably been covered so please forgive me. I want to discuss licencing fees and give me opinion on them. Firstly and this is just my opinion, I think if your on a residential mooring then you shouldn't have to pay as much as people who continuously cruise. Maybe a sort of sorn like you would a car. And then when you want to take it out the marina you buy a temporary licence. What do you think? I just dint see how it's fair for people to have to pay the same as CCers when you only use the network every so often.

Thoughts?

With due respect, your opinion does not matter one jot.

The situation IS what it IS and ain't gonna be changed in the near future.

We could all find 'better' billing methods to suit ourselves (and not suit others) for all sorts of situations.

If you don't like it, don't buy a boat!

Blunt? yes, and sorry, I'm not having a pop at you - that's the way it is. ....sad.png

• Greenie 3

Thoughts?

People who live on their boats should pay FAR higher licence fees than leisure boaters in my opinion.

Mainly because I don't live on mine ;)

MtB

• Greenie 1

Or more, as they use more water, and cause more congestion, by not being able to share broad locks.

Or need CRT on site attendance to gain a passage through the tunnels.

Simple they pay to use tunnels, if they need attendance, none of the london tunnels neet to hace CRT there.

As for Lock usage in the simplest form as in two boats as opposed to one you are correct. However its not as simple as that if you take into account displacement, two boats the size of Sickle in the same lock "use" more water than a 70x12 barge!

However its not as simple as that if you take into account displacement, two boats the size of Sickle in the same lock "use" more water than a 70x12 barge!

I'm certainly not rising to that old chestnut again, but nice try!

However, even if it were true, then two boats the size of Sickle have anyway collectively paid very much more for their two licences than the 70' by 12 barge has, (undiscounted prices are £1,446.82 for 2 x 40 feet, and £1,028.00 for 1 x 70 feet), so I think you have very adequately proved my case anyway that the latter needs to pay significantly more than say a 70' by 7' narrow boat!

Or did you mean someone else's post?

I suspect he is talking about Old Goody's rather forthright way of saying their piece.

I actually agree with Old Goody in principle, but not in the manner of expressing it, which I think achieves nothing, and makes newcomers feel they are being got at.