Lady Boaters

BlueBelle1

Featured Posts

Because I am in the fortunate position to be able to

Because I enjoy it

Because getting outside is, I understand, good for me

Because the physical exercise is good for me

Because I enjoy the challenge of learning something new every day especially when I am boating

Because it keeps a family tradition going (Aunt - Daphne March - trained the original Idle Women)

Good list, but the one I highlighted doesn't apply to blokes (and Naughy Cal, who is an honourary bloke), coz blokes generally know it all, already :D

MtB

Good list, but the one I highlighted doesn't apply to blokes (and Naughy Cal, who is an honourary bloke), coz blokes generally know it all, already :D

MtB

I have always thought that blokes thought they knew it all ! Well done to the honorary blokes!

Hi Blue Belle, the Idle Women were recruited from 1943 to 1945 to work narrowboats on the Grand Union Canal between Birmingham and London during the Second World War. The women wore badges with the initials "I.W." for "Inland Waterways". As a result, male narrowboatmen gave them the pejorative nickname "Idle Women".

The books "Idle Women" by Susan Woolfitt and "Troubled Waters" by Margaret Cornish go into more detail - and they're a good read, too!

And, also, the Shropshire Union using Fellows Morten and Clayton boats, and leant Severn and Canal boats, including (I was very pleased to discover) mine!

ash-willow.jpg

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Are they lady boaters or boaters who are ladies? On of the things I've noticed here is you're just as likely to get a technical question answered by a woman as you are to see men commenting on the recipes thread. I think that the sexual stereotyping on here is refreshingly low. How many will mind being called "lovely" is a different matter, good job a man didn't say that we'd be called sexist and patronising smile.png

K

I don't mind being called lovely, sigh if only.blush.png

I know of a few lady boaters myself and they are equally able to engage in the live aboard routines to men boaters. I think living aboard suits equally girls and boys as long as you are dedicated and hands on. Regarding safety I have got some concerns for those that cruise but for the boating community in general.

Thanks BlueBelle. I cannot wait to start practising my driving skills on the canals, about 3 weeks and I shall be travelling from Birmingham to her new home. I think I will get a sorry flag to sail from pointy end to give advance warning to watch out.

I've not taken my boat out yet either..it's been a long time since I was left to my own devices on a narrow boat, lol..fingers crossed will be as I remembered, I've not long since got my engine running too..maybe could do with a service before venturing out, I don't want to get stranded..still there's enough alcohol on my boat to survive, possibly 2 nights ;)

Thanks Patty-ann, you are lovely..

Loving the photo thanks fadetoscarlet appreciate it, I would like a copy on my boat clapping.gif

Ignoring copyright, if you download the picture by right clicking on it, it is big enough to print out at 6" x 4" at what could be mistaken for photographic quality, or about A4 size if magazine quality is good enough.

I don't mind being called lovely, sigh if only.blush.png

Lovely is inside as much as anywhere visible.

Love your post Bluebelle!!!! An inspiraton to us all................. cant wait to have my first go........... but nervous. not a youngster no more! in marina since Sept////// getting cabin fever.

Thanks hilaryb I'm no youngster either..luckily I can still walk, talk and eat so it's all a bonus smile.png I'm trying to find new mooring too at the moment..It'll be scary but exciting moving the boat for the first time, mainly because I'm worried if it breaks down or gets a plastic bag knotted up in the prop....

Edited by BlueBelle1

River and Canal Rescue. The waterways answer to the AA/RAC.

By all accounts they are very good. I'm not a member but plenty here are. They have different levels of cover. Gold,Silver and believe it or not, Bronze. There is also a retainer level I think.

Some of the cover levels include parts and labour.

Look them up.

Martyn

River and Canal Rescue. The waterways answer to the AA/RAC.

By all accounts they are very good. I'm not a member but plenty here are. They have different levels of cover. Gold,Silver and believe it or not, Bronze. There is also a retainer level I think.

Some of the cover levels include parts and labour.

Look them up.

Martyn

Well, not by ALL accounts.

If you search the forum bluebelle you'll find various opinions of RCR

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Lady Boaters! This is my first post on your fine website and so 'fingers crossed' I'm going about things correctly. After much to-ing and fro-ing I have decided to purchase a residential mooring in the North of Scotland. I now need to purchase my new home! Having very little (ahem ... actually, no) experience of boats and boating I am trying to find as much information as possible.

And so ... for the completely inexperienced (but enthusiastic ) young lady boater who will have a boat to herself... what should I know or be thinking about? Is there any lady-specific advice or concern I should be aware of?

ANY advice will be most gratefully received!

Edited by sarahmac

:) hiya Sarah welcome to the forum :) a few moons ago moi set up 'solo' which is just a friendly boaty and support group for lone lady boaters. If you would like more information feel free to msg or email me ( email Addy on moi profile)

:)

Welcome to the forum sarahmac

Having told the world that you have a mooring on the caledonian canal and that you live alone I would be wary of giving the internet too many details of precisely where you are. Just to be on the safe side donchaknow