Lady Boaters

BlueBelle1

Featured Posts

Thanks Barry! Very good advice indeed! From now on it shall be 'a canal in the North of Scotland' wink.png

Might be an idea to edit your first post too, to say something similar. Not that I want to you to think this place if full of axe murderers!

Look in the bottom right hand corner of your post for the 'edit' button.

MtB

Thanks Mike, and Barry, although my joke was that there is only one canal here and so secrecy is difficult!

I have already learned so much today - how to leave a post - how to edit all errors in said post - that the boating world is plagued with axe murderers!

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time around 1970 I was teaching a friend to drive in his old 1934 Austin 10 Cabriolet We thought we'd go out to a favourite pub in the country for a pint. Anyway whilst driving along a particular country lane en route to the pub and as we approached a sharp right hand bend all of a sudden a cooper mini came hairing around the bend from the opposite direction,far too fast and on our side of the road, it clouted our O/S/F badly causing the mini to konk out. We got out of the old Austin, inspected it for damage,''not much'' and waited for the mini driver to get out so we could discuss the problem. Well ''getting out'' he had a problem a big problem the bloke was enormous. After a bit he managed to unfold himself out of it, I don't know how he got in it in the first place. As I said he was huge, wore one of those great navy blue bouncer type overcoats with a fur collar and we were now a bit frightened and were trembling at the knees with the thought of having to discuss hold him responsible for the collision. He clambered out, glared at us, strode past and away down the road with not any exchange of words between us at all.

I said to my friend I think we ought to forgo the pint and report the incident at a police station. which we did. A couple of days later my friend was summoned to the nick ''I was at work'' to be questioned and was given photos of criminals to look at. Well it turned out to be Frank Mitchell the mad axe man on an unofficial prolonged outing from Broadmoor.

We drove the old Austin back after the accident which had only suffered a bit of a bent front chassis end which by disconnecting the spring, the use of a paraffin blow lamp and hammer was right as rain and all ready to face another mad axeman.

Hello Lady Boaters! This is my first post on your fine website and so 'fingers crossed' I'm going about things correctly. After much to-ing and fro-ing I have decided to purchase a residential mooring in the North of Scotland. I now need to purchase my new home! Having very little (ahem ... actually, no) experience of boats and boating I am trying to find as much information as possible. (snip)

Assuming you will want to be cruising some of the time, the boat will need to handle a bit more extreme conditions than met on English (and Scottish lowland) canals. Don't even think about a narrowboat ohmy.png !

Iain