help is there a plumber nearby?

Featured Posts

Just discovered a leak under the kitchen sink. Galley carpet soaked. Water off but that's about all I know what to do! I'm between lock 36 &37 on the Hatton flight. If anyone is able and willing to help that would be great. I would, of course, be happy to pay

Hi,

I'm not a plumber but reasonably competent diyer and could have a look/help/offer advice if you like. I'm moored the other side of Bridge 55 at the top of Hatton flight, won't be back til late tonight though and have an x-ray in the morning but should be available around lunchtime tomorrow.

Is the pipework plastic or copper?

Rob

• Greenie 1

Hi Rob. Thanks for your prompt response. The leak appears to be coming from the plastic joint where plastic pipe meets copper pipe.

Tomorrow lunchtime would be lovely.

Shirley

As a stopgap, have you tried pushing the two pipes together at the join? It may well have become slightly dislodged through vibration.

That what I would do.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I've tried that but it's still shooting out water from somewhere although I'm not sure from where. However, I had my 86 y/o mum with the torch while I flipped the switch...plan B is to show her where the switch is and I look with torch! Trouble is, she is quite deaf so wouldn't be able to hear me shout to switch the pump off so may (will) have even more water in the galley....fast running out of paper and towels!

Watch this space :)

Hello

Is there any boats nearby. More often than not most boaters would be more than helpful. A passing boat that perhaps you could flag down as they slow for the next lock.

I would help in that situation and my wife would probably welcome the break from the locks!,,,,

Do you have and can you use any tools at all?

Loosen the nut on that joint, push everything back together snug then tighten the nut. It's probably a simple repair requiring not much more than two pair of pliers. (You need to hold the fitting with a tool while you tighten it. You DO NOT want to turn the nut in a manner that puts pressure on the copper to twist.)

Do you have and can you use any tools at all?

Loosen the nut on that joint, push everything back together snug then tighten the nut. It's probably a simple repair requiring not much more than two pair of pliers. (You need to hold the fitting with a tool while you tighten it. You DO NOT want to turn the nut in a manner that puts pressure on the copper to twist.)

I have one set of mole grips and a few screwdrivers...hardly a full-to-the-brim tool box!

I really am a newbie to all this as Heron is my first boat and I started my maiden voyage last Friday....so really lacking in experience/knowledge.

It would appear that I have embarked upon a not insubstantially sharp learning curve!

If she could video a Laurel and Hardy style water in the face clip, you could pay for the repair with a cheque from You've Been Framed.

This made my mum (and me) laugh for the first time since sloshing about in soggy socks!

I would too. That and gently nip the clamp nut up if there is one.

PM sent

Hi Shirley

Sorry to hear that you have wet socks, it could be worth writing down the numbers of things like your engine filters, buying some assorted jubilee clips, nuts and bolts, screws and fuses.

Most people start to learn from watching others fix their boats and eventually go on to be far more capable than they ever dreamed possible.

Good luck to you AND YOUR MUM cheers.gif

Well, here we are a couple of hours after lunch.

How did it all go please?

Martyn

You beat me to it!

My knight in shining armour aka p6rob has now left the premises and all is well. I had intended on posting an update but was just having a second cup of tea to celebrate....not that Rob has left the boat but that the problem is sorted!

Turns out it was the connecting pipe joining the plastic pipe to the copper pipe. It was just a bit shorter than it should have been so the joint has probably been leaking for some time. A longer piece has been substituted and not a drip in sight!

Not only did Rob offer to help, he even went to get the pipe that was needed. I cannot thank him enough. The lunch of soup and Mum's homemade apple pie followed by tea was just a small offering on my (or rather Mum's) part.

Also, not only did Rob sort out the plumbing he then went and helped us through the last 10 locks of the Hatton flight. A great guy.

Thanks so much Rob.

I only hope that I will be able to help someone out in the future.

Shirley

Hi,

I'm not a plumber but reasonably competent diyer and could have a look/help/offer advice if you like. I'm moored the other side of Bridge 55 at the top of Hatton flight, won't be back til late tonight though and have an x-ray in the morning but should be available around lunchtime tomorrow.

Is the pipework plastic or copper?

Rob

Good onya Rob, have a greenie!