Parking near City Road basin

RLWP

Featured Posts

You won't be able to find any street parking. Your best bet is somewhere like National Car Parks.

http://www.londontown.com/ParkingInformation/Attractions/City-Road-Basin/ca4e9/

As you can see parking will cost an arm and a leg - plus the congestion charge.

We locals tend to use bikes or public transport! Do you have to have the car next to the boat? Will you be carrying tools etc? If not, I'd park somewhere near a tube line and go in by underground.

At best, a couple of cases of tools, at worst, a gearbox and lifting kit as well

I have a postcode for a pub, and the information that 'the boat is near the water point' if that helps

Richard

City Road Basin is outside the Congestion charge Zone

Tim

Good, that's one anxiety allayed

Richard

I shall be visiting a boat near City Road basin, London tomorrow. It isn't an area I am familiar with at all - any advice from locals?

Richard

If it is during the day you will have to bite the bullet and find a meter or use a local car park.

There are lots of meters around there but you might struggle to find a space at times and they will be time limited. I don't know the car parks but the interweb brings up this one:

http://www.carparks4u.com/en_GB/car-park/14197/theseus-walk

Tim

At best, a couple of cases of tools, at worst, a gearbox and lifting kit as well

I have a postcode for a pub, and the information that 'the boat is near the water point' if that helps

Richard

Richard

Which Pub?

Tim

If it is during the day you will have to bite the bullet and find a meter or use a local car park.

There are lots of meters around there but you might struggle to find a space at times and they will be time limited. I don't know the car parks but the interweb brings up this one:

http://www.carparks4u.com/en_GB/car-park/14197/theseus-walk

Tim

Which Pub?

Tim

The Narrow Boat

Richard

Richard

Richard

If its moored on the water point how are you going to know which one it is? captain.gif

There is a lot of on street parking here with a four hour limit however many of the streets around the Narrow Boat are resident parking, it may be easier park south of the pub nearer the City Road.

Tim

Not if I have to carry a gearbox - a Lister LH150, not some lightweight Hurth

I have a flywheel here...

Richard

Paybyphone - £11 something

Skirted the edge of the congestion zone, still puzzled by the low emission zone and fifteen types of parking permit.

What's with City Basin? Big, open bit of wet - no boats!

Richard

LEZ - sorry RLWP I never thought to mention….what model and year is your van? Basically, if you are smaller than a Transit, there is nothing to worry about, if you are Transit sized or bigger then I hope it is post 2002 (Euro 3 compliant). Some pre 2002 vans are as well but check. If you came in a car, you are safe. If you are non-compliant, I think that the first time, you get a stern letter but then the fines are astronomical (the "fee" is £100/day for non-compliant vehicles.)

Worth knowing is that the regs will change from 2015 to being Euro 4 compliant, this means a post 2008/2009 vehicle, a cynic would think that they were trying to put small businesses out of business!

My van is exactly the same size as a Peugeot 306, she is a luxurious 306, four door automatic hatchback, and is known as Aunty Mabel

She is very comfortable, sedate, cost £110 and doesn't like doing over sixty - it isn't dignified.

What is the situation with City Road Basin?

Richard

Edited by RLWP