London boat show - found an interesting gadget...

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Saw an interesting system at the london boat show and thought it was pretty cool so thought I would share.

It was a system that sucks in dirty water, and purifies it into pure drinking water. You'd never need to fill your tank again :P Admittedly it cost £1200 for the model that produces 6l an hour but still interesting.

Why do yachts get all the gadgets, - some of the boats i've been on today have been amazing.

Can't wait for the crick boat show to have a look at some luxury narrowboats. GIves something to aim for :)

It was a system that sucks in dirty water, and purifies it into pure drinking water. You'd never need to fill your tank again tongue.png Admittedly it cost £1200 for the model that produces 6l an hour but still interesting.

Compared to the overall cost of boating £1200 is background noise...

6 litres an hour is 144 litres a day. Plenty big enough output for a narrerbote. How much power does it take? I bet this is the deal breaker....

And who mends it when it breaks?

MtB

I can't remember the makers name but there are a few systems online. It used 5.4 amps but then if you have the engine running for cruising its not that bad.

I don't know if I fancy drinking the canal water though :S

I'll see if I can find the name or a link.

I would assume they come with a warranty.

But fresh water is free on the canals and readily available, why would you want to pay to produce your own?

Because its a really cool gadget. No other reason.

If you had 1200 pounds in your pocket you might :P Never have to plan for a water stop again.

I just thought the technology was interesting.

Because its a really cool gadget. No other reason.

If you had 1200 pounds in your pocket you might tongue.png Never have to plan for a water stop again.

I just thought the technology was interesting.

How does it work then?

At only 5.4 amps I can't imagine it is distilling the water. And what happens to the residue it removes?

MtB

Not in London, apparently....

MtB

Well obviously the show is aimed at seagoing boats. We've never been to a show before so i'm really looking forward to crick. (Hoping to take our boat up there if we can fit it in on our travels towards liverpool or bristol - haven't decided which yet)

Reverse Osmosis (RO) process perfected by NASA I believe to turn astronauts urine back into drinkable water.

The one on my previous boat used a 3kW ohmy.png AC motor to provide the 600 psi needed on the RO membranes, in turn yielding 16 litres of product water per hour from seawater at 25°C.

I know of a couple of set ups on nbs, one is a General Ecology, although they use it to treat the tap water. The other is owned by a guy with a very long beard and is home made (like everything else on his boat). Every time his water tank runs low, he tosses a bilge pump over the side and refills. The shower is Teed off after the second filter, the kitchen wash tap after the 3rd and the drinking tap last in line. I'll say it makes good tea!

P.S. I see the Fisher Price one uses reverse osmosis and is actually for purifying seawater. I wonder how it would get on with the stuff in the BCN...

Going off topic, on the BCN I watched a young pike rise up out of the weeds and take a fish near the surface. That's three foot of water, about ten foot off to the side.

Amazing

Richard