Boat stuck on bank

Jparry

Featured Posts

Yes, that is a very handy tree on the opposite bank.

Should tirfor off without any issues but I would not wait for the water to receed much more or you may flood the stern.

Tirfor anchored to the tree, line also anchored to tree and a snatch block on the boat should do it.

Just out of interest and to raise saferty awareness - what material "rope" would you use?

If steel cable, then special consideration needs to be made to what happens if it snaps. It can be nasty in the extreme.

Should be competent person in charge.

Edited by mark99

Not exactly off-topic, but is there not a risk of the opposite - the insurance company arguing that by doing nothing the situation has been compounded, so reducing or rejecting the claim?

Hi,

At this time the boat is relatively safe, is dry inside, but beached, the insurnace company's problem is recovery - if you try to re-float the boat and something goes wrong and it floods and sinks and the inside becomes water damaged I doubt they would pay for restoration work (which would be costly). It could be argued that they are salvaging a boat rather than recovering it

Let the insurance company sort it out it's what you have insurance for (presumably you have a comprehensive policy).

Who knows there could be another flood shortly (weather conditions suggest this may be the case) and it could be easily refloated

By all means try to mitigate the insurance companies problem/loss, but 'they ain't happy bunnies' if by any actions you increase costs to them.

In the meantime try to get the Insurance company to get an assessor/loss adjuster along as soon as possible, and take as many good quality pictures as soon as possible, try to get details as to how often the river flooded and whether you had taken enough precautions in mooring the boat in inclement weather to avoid the problem. Try get get details of what (other than high rainfall levels) caused the problem.

For example rapidly rising water some years ago flooded a section of London Colney - the cause was found to be a branch falling off a tree jamming against a bridge, this in turn 'caught' a lot of supermaket bags which formed the perfect dam - hence the rapidly rising water - very useful information to insurance companies involved.

Hope this helps, as I said the boat on the Aylesbury arm was launched by experts using pre-prepared launching ramps.

L.

Edited by LEO

looking at the latest pics...id use a tirfor on the far bank a couple of double blocks and id run the cable under the boat and hook it on the base plate so its pulling from the bottom (make sure base plate is healthy)....get a few strong mates that can keep working the tirfor in mini shifts and go for it..recon the banks weak enough to slide the front and the tree and the stern will stop the boat pivotting to much..duct tape up every part that can take water if it starts going wrong.....if its insured get them to do the dirty work

looking at the latest pics...id use a tirfor on the far bank a couple of double blocks and id run the cable under the boat and hook it on the base plate so its pulling from the bottom (make sure base plate is healthy)....get a few strong mates that can keep working the tirfor in mini shifts and go for it..recon the banks weak enough to slide the front and the tree and the stern will stop the boat pivotting to much..duct tape up every part that can take water if it starts going wrong.....if its insured get them to do the dirty work

Hard to fault this.

ST will be along in a flash to do it for you if the money be right. He's at a loose end right now!

Gwarn, PM him, you know it makes sense!

MtB

Don't forget to Jack the bow up at least for the first few pulls. After that she should offer less resistance to being drawn by the winch. If using rollers at the bow for the Teflon effect make sure they are substantial otherwise they will disappear into the mire. Monday by all accounts should see more water in the river and would make the whole operation an absolute breeze. I would be inclined to try asap, but then again I like a challenge. As for the insurance people, I would ensure they are happy with and sanction any attempt to refloat your boat. I have a couple of sisters who are animal welfare fanatics, especially where dogs are concerned, with me it's boat welfare and therefore I am rooting for a successful recovery and will be delighted as I am sure the rest of the contributors to your thread will be when you are back on the cut. Good luck

Hi,

At the time the boat is relatively safe, is dry inside, but beached, the insurnace company's problem is recovery - if you try to re-float the boat and something goes wrong and it floods and sinks and the inside becomes water damaged I doubt they would pay for restoration work (which would be costly). It could be argued that they are salvaging a boat rather than recovering it

Let the insurance company sort it out it's what you have insurance for (presumably you have a comprehensive policy).

Who knows there could be another flood shortly (weather conditions suggest this may be the case) and it could be easily refloated

By all means try to mitigate the insurance companies problem/loss, but 'they ain't happy bunnies' if by any actions you increase costs to them.

In the meantime try to get the Insurance company to get an assessor/loss adjuster along as soon as possible, and take as many good quality pictures as soon as possible, try to get details as to how often the river flooded and whether you had taken enough precautions in mooring the boat in inclement weather to avoid the problem. Try get get details of what (other than high rainfall levels) caused the problem.

For example rapidly rising water some years ago flooded a section of London Colney - the cause was found to be a branch falling off a tree jamming against a bridge, this in turn 'caught' a lot of supermaket bags which formed the perfect dam - hence the rapidly rising water - very useful information to insurance companies involved.

Hope this helps, as I said the boat on the Aylesbury arm was launched by experts using pre-prepared launching ramps.

L.

This sounds excellent advice to me! Will the insurance guys be at their office on Monday? A phone call would let you know their attitude to any attempt to refloat the boat yourself.

Edited by stickleback

The Tirfor should work but will be slow and those things have a horrible tendency to jam up at key moments. I would reiterate that you should seal all openings aft in case the stern goes under: Exhaust, deck covers, aft doors etc.

It is difficult to judge the angles but I would think of using the tree just aft of the boat by the tug bow, although this might try and slew the boat. This might be prevented using a line from the stern to the tree, surged as appropriate.

With this sort of exercise speed is of the essence. The stern can then dip under if necessary but will bob up quickly rather than lingering under, hence my suggestion of shoving with a tractor, Land Rover etc. if there is access and the ground will permit. What about a line from the bow, around a snatch block on the tree and led to a tow vehicle on firmer ground away from the river in the access track (if there is any firmer ground!).

As said, the higher the water the better and I don't think, from the sound of the plans, that your insurers could fault you for taking swift action on the concensus basis discussed.

One point I forgot: the other reason for suggesting the tree on your bank is that those opposite are right on the river bank and could tear out, which might give you a "tree on boat on bank" situation. I would certainly look at anchoring back further away from the river if possible, perhaps just using the trree on the river bank as a lead.

Carefully placed Land Rover with winch, anchored to a tree, would be the best option rather than trying to tow. By all means use pulley blocks if you need to change the angles. However, you're unlikely to have access to that kind of recovery equipment. I wonder if its worth calling 4x4 response network? Otherwise, just wait for the insurers to do it their way.

• Greenie 1

4x4 Response are there to help the Civil Authorities during severe weather, etc.

They are not a personal "help" organisation.

http://www.4x4response.info/

They're not really, they're just a bunch of 4x4 owners who like to help out. I don't think they'll mind helping out in return for a small donation, and are likely to have the necessary kit and the common sense to be able to use it properly. The average 4x4 owner won't have a winch, and if they do, probably doesn't have much experience of it. Whoever does it, they'd need the landowners permission (and a reasonable access route) to get to the trees on the other side.

Having said all that, the insurance company should be leading the recovery effort.

I have been there today sealing up the holes in the side that is in the river with the help of Andy who owns Cristopher James and was very grateful as without to use of his tug we would have been unable to reach the vents ,I think we have managed to do as much as we can.

We had to pump out some water out of the engine bay before we sealed it I found an extra hole I had forgotten about

I don't think Andy was to impressed with the idea of snatching the boat & moving a bit at a time with his lovely wooden Tug .

There is still a lot of flow at the moment and they seem to be dropping it quite low probably because of all the rain expected

I am meeting the assessor at the boat tomorrow morning .

sorry only just seen the morning pictures that is a simple relaunch you need a long scaffold pole, some blocks to stop the scaffold pole sinking in to the bank, a jack capable of lifting the fore end

rasie the fore end enough to get the scaffold pole under the bit that's on the bank. slide the scaffold pole under to create a slide and lower the jack and then use a lever (scaffold pole/large piece of wood) and heave it will go back in in seconds

we had more on the bank and only took 4 hours to get ZK back in this afternoon

I spoke to the assessor /surveyor this morning he is talking about bringing a tug with a crane up to help slide it in .when the weather eases .basically he's saying leave it up to him once its floated they will replace the battery then leave me to dry the electrics out run the engine & check that the electric hydraulic valve is ok as that was under the water before we pumed it out ,a junction box with a lot of wires going to it was under water to .

That does sound a good result. Presumably if there is anything further needs doing after it has dried out they will cover that too? Meanwhile - is it possible that the Wey will flood again to the extent that it might refloat by itself??

I really don't think the Wey will flood that much again besides they have managed to open all the sluices now ,.they have said they will cover any problems found after the refloat ,they will leave the claim open until I am satisfied.all sounds good ,but that is the assessor talking the insurance company have still to ok it .I am a pessimist so am hoping it all goes to plan.

I spoke to the assessor /surveyor this morning he is talking about bringing a tug with a crane up to help slide it in .when the weather eases .basically he's saying leave it up to him once its floated they will replace the battery then leave me to dry the electrics out run the engine & check that the electric hydraulic valve is ok as that was under the water before we pumed it out ,a junction box with a lot of wires going to it was under water to .

You should be sure that all of your electrical parts are completely dry before you you put any power to them. Or not - in some cases you may want to fry the wires and have them replaced by the insurance company. Read your policy carefully and make sure you know what they will replace and what they won't. But if there is anything electrical that you want to preserve, make sure it is good and dry before you put any power to it.

...but that is the assessor talking the insurance company have still to ok it .I am a pessimist so am hoping it all goes to plan.

It probably will. Insurance companies are run by statistics experts in suits behind desks in offices. They employ 'on the ground' assessors to be their eyes and ears and rely totally on what the assessors tell them. The assessor's opinion consequently becomes the insurance company's opinion.

MtB

It probably will. Insurance companies are run by statistics experts in suits behind desks in offices. They employ 'on the ground' assessors to be their eyes and ears and rely totally on what the assessors tell them. The assessor's opinion consequently becomes the insurance company's opinion.

MtB

Hi,

Sounds like a reasonable way of working, let the office wally's do their bit - it's the men on the ground who count - I was in a similar field for years.

hopefully the outcome in this instance will be satisfactory.

L