Boat stuck on bank

Jparry

Featured Posts

And don't forget to hail any approaching boats!

MtB

If they're awake they'll see what's going on. A chain or steel cable can be slackened off to sink it to allow a boat to pass over it. If a rope, not ideal, old bits of scrap weights can be dangled from it to sink it.

Tirfor winch from a hire shop and an extra length of cable, chain and a couple of big shackles to reach a tree on the opposite bank. Tirfor winches are immensely powerful and should drag that back in quite easily.

To get the cable across the river tie a long string to something heavyish like a big old nut or small rock with a light rope tied to the string and the cable or chain tied to the rope. Chuck the weight across and pull the string, rope and cable across. Two of you would make the job easier.

Would that be possible with the 3ft drop into the river normally, I think the width is nearer 40ft

If they're awake they'll see what's going on. A chain or steel cable can be slackened off to sink it to allow a boat to pass over it. If a rope, not ideal, old bits of scrap weights can be dangled from it to sink it.

In the winter maybe 2 boats all winter one of them moors next to me .

Would that be possible with the 3ft drop into the river normally, I think the width is nearer 40ft

Well I've dragged a couple of steel narrow boats which were built here on the islandabout on steel plates and a roller and launched them by yanking them in from the opposite bank over a 2ft high earthen bank with a Tirfor winch. Your boat I think is tottering on the edge I think, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Edited by bizzard

I will suggest some of these ideas to the surveyer & see what he comes up with.as well as obviously if I totaly ignore him and it go wrong I can see them not being interested it is a good bit deeper than a canal .This is the access to th mooring

2013-12-27081909_zpsbebb62b2.jpg

qDspUL7vctb32YSltNFYIYkNReeLQsLoid3Fonz2

Well I've dragged a couple of steel narrow boats which were built here on the islandabout on steel plates and a roller and launched them by yanking them in from the opposite bank over a 2ft high earthen bank with a Tirfor winch. Your boat I think is tottering on the edge I think, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

iv moved alot of very heavy stuff including boats and buildings with a tirfor winch before.mines rated at 3 tons and its a big piece of kit, i just keep doubling the cable up till it moves what i need moving. i pulled all of the steel into place with this method,its slow painfull and soul destroying but it will get ya boat back in the water....duct tape all ya door,windows and vents up and have someone with you thats strong cuz once it starts going in you need to be on the handle and keep pulling till the boat comes leval and back up....

Someone posted a vid on the forum recently showing a narrowboat being rolled into a canal sideways. I think if we could show the OP that vid, he'd have less fear about pulling his boat in himself...anyone got the link?

ok I found it.

Edited by DeanS

Someone posted a vid on the forum recently showing a narrowboat being rolled into a canal sideways. I think if we could show the OP that vid, he'd have less fear about pulling his boat in himself...anyone got the link?

ok I found it.

Not sure but I think the fear has gone up a notch or two looking at that .

I am not so depressed about it this morning it could have been much worse ,it could have broke free & done so much damage ,no ones got injured .

The people living round there its there homes that are damaged I feel sorry for them .Mind you I am just going to check it as soon as its daylight ,then the depression could be back if it has tipped or something .Once again thanks for all the suggestions .Joe

With the rain forecast for Monday morning is it not worth considering putting a mud weight (a very hefty one) out towards the centre of the river firmly attached to the end of the boat that is upstream in the hope (rather than expectation) that any rain will swell the River Wey again (it is so quick to go up and down) and that the boat may have enough water under it to swing out and ride on the mud weight in a reasonable depth of water so that when the water levels decrease you are in the main stream of the river.

It's just a thought; I am not an engineer but just someone with a reasonably (I hope) practical approach to things and knowing how challenging it will be to get any heavy lifting/pulling equipment to where you require it. I think I saw on here an image of a large B&Q plastic garden bucket filled with concrete with a substantial chain secured in the middle of it.

• Greenie 1

Not sure but I think the fear has gone up a notch or two looking at that .

Don't watch this video then : http://s838.photobucket.com/user/pigolato/media/Boat%20Rescue/Rescue.mp4.html

It's a video of the narrowboat at Broad cut that was "Rescued" by "Professionals"

This link from CWDF for video above; http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35109

If that's the tug Christopher James behind you (I think he does moor up there) I just wonder if he could apply enough pull to get your boat moving backwards whilst a few people push at the front - probably a rubbish idea and if so disregard it!

Edited by Leo No2

I doubt it with a straight pull, but the tug reversing hard with a slack line and snatching may well work.

As the line tightens, the momentum of the tug is transferred to the stranded boat and I bet it would move a foot or so on each snatch.

MtB

I doubt it with a straight pull, but the tug reversing hard with a slack line and snatching may well work.

As the line tightens, the momentum of the tug is transferred to the stranded boat and I bet it would move a foot or so on each snatch.

MtB

Yes, I watched a BW tug pulling a stuck butty out of a lock and that is exactly how he did it.

A straight pull had no effect.

Yes, I watched a BW tug pulling a stuck butty out of a lock and that is exactly how he did it.

A straight pull had no effect.

Yep that's how we dragged REGINALD out of Awbridge lock too, when he was 1/4" wider than the empty lock chamber. Little puffs of pink brick dust bursting up all along the sides with each snatch!

MtB

I would have thought it would be better to try and get the boat back in the water while the river is still quite high. There's some nice big trees opposite that would make a good a Tirfor anchor providing you can get access to the land.

I would have thought it would be better to try and get the boat back in the water while the river is still quite high. There's some nice big trees opposite that would make a good a Tirfor anchor providing you can get access to the land.

Agreed, and trying to control a tug in that narrow channel with that amount of flow would be difficult, even if it were capable of having a useful effect.

Tim

Hi,

You have alerted the insurance company, let them sort it out - they will be responsible if anything goes wrong, you do something and make matters worse, they may not pay.

The side 'slip' on the Aylesbury arm was carried out under perfect conditions by people who knew what they were doing.

L.

Hi,

You have alerted the insurance company, let them sort it out - they will be responsible if anything goes wrong, you do something and make matters worse, they may not pay.

The side 'slip' on the Aylesbury arm was carried out under perfect conditions by people who knew what they were doing.

L.

Not exactly off-topic, but is there not a risk of the opposite - the insurance company arguing that by doing nothing the situation has been compounded, so reducing or rejecting the claim?