Where to tie up for 10 nights in Rugeley

MyLady

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We're on our way north to Yorkshire.

CanalPlanAC suggests we moor tomorrow night at Rugeley Visitor Moorings, but as we want to go home to have Christmas, etc. with our children we need to moor for about 10 nights. I've tried to search the CaRT website (& CanalPlanAC) to find out if they have a 14 day limit, but the only things we found are that "they are winter moorings" and: "The nearest place in the direction of Tuppenhurst Aqueduct is Rugeley Railway Bridge No 65B; 1 furlong away."

The best we've come up with is to press on to Great Haywood Marina and pay them for 10 nights.

Helpful comments etc. appreciated!

Roger

There's lots of towpath mooring which I found safe in the past a little further north. Near Wolesley Bridge quite a few boats stop off, so there may be others to keep an eye for you, or further on again overlooking Shugburgh Hall again quite a lot of boats around there.

I hope this helps,

Mary

Most of the options have been mentioned. 14 day moorings above Fradley locks, Kings Bromley Marina is good. There is plenty of scope in Rugeley if you need the transport links, but can't remember the time limits (I don't think anyone will bother at this time of the year). As stated, 14 days at Wolseley Bridge & Shugborough.

Hi all,

We're on our way north to Yorkshire.

CanalPlanAC suggests we moor tomorrow night at Rugeley Visitor Moorings, but as we want to go home to have Christmas, etc. with our children we need to moor for about 10 nights. I've tried to search the CaRT website (& CanalPlanAC) to find out if they have a 14 day limit, but the only things we found are that "they are winter moorings" and: "The nearest place in the direction of Tuppenhurst Aqueduct is Rugeley Railway Bridge No 65B; 1 furlong away."

The best we've come up with is to press on to Great Haywood Marina and pay them for 10 nights.

Helpful comments etc. appreciated!

Roger

Play safe! Go into a marina. Although they are all quite good around here, go for Great Haywood because there is an excellent bus service during the day into Stafford with it's West Coast mainline railway station, if that's what you need.

James

Shugborough hall towpath had two boats on the whole length on friday and there was masses of space above haywood lock. Only 2 boats on both VM in Rugeley ...all 14 days. I have left my boat in Rugeley several times without issues.

Edited by matty40s

And then the weather hit...

We're currently on 'The Plum Pudding' customer moorings where we had a good dinner, after a real fight to get to the upwind side of the cut!

We now have lots of places ringed in Nicholson to aim for in the morning.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Roger

Play safe! Go into a marina. Although they are all quite good around here, go for Great Haywood because there is an excellent bus service during the day into Stafford with it's West Coast mainline railway station, if that's what you need.

James

Especially now you have just advertised your plans and boat location for the next fortnight!

Especially now you have just advertised your plans and boat location for the next fortnight!

Ditto.

As much as I've wanted to come on here and ask for safe places to leave my boat recently, I've refrained for security reasons.

This was the subject of post #4 but you were not to know that as it has been edited.. smile.png

I'm not convinced about this security thing. You see so many boats on the towpath that are obviously unattended, and thieves being mostly opportunistic, they will be spoilt for choice, so I can't see that mentioning the location of your boat is an issue in reality.

Anyway, we are passing that way today so will keep an eye out.

Edited by nicknorman

James

We did make Great Haywood and played safe behind security gates.

Actually we did better than the bus, rather than take it home, we gave the part bottle of milk we had left to another boater - and got a free lift to the train station. All's well that ends well!

Whatever, thanks to all for advice given - and merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to you all.

Roger

Edited by MyLady