Well done Maffi (again)!- Coventry Evening Telegraph

Ronniesonic

Featured Posts

Plus being the home of the trip boat Coventrian

Richard

Also The Coventry Canal was home to The Pearl Hyde, AKA ex Ovaltine NB, Albert.

http://hnbc.org.uk/other-names/pearl-hyde

From The Coventry Canal Society:

"The then Lord Mayor of Coventry, Pearl Hyde, was invited to the rally and became a committed and enthusiastic supporter of the Society and canals in general. She later went on to set up the Pearl Hyde Trust that provided canal trips for disabled people in a specially adapted narrow boat. The fight to save the canal took two long years during which time it was under continual threat of being infilled and built over. The Coventry Canal Society was very active in promoting the advantages to the city of a local canal. Eventually opinions changed and the future of the canal was secured".

I have never seen a photo of her as Pearl Hyde however.

Edited by Ray T

• 2 weeks later...

You've got onto the 'Angry People in Local Newspapers' site. lol

Editor wants to know what you've got nailed to your boat!! And a girl called Sarah has left you a comment.

http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

P.S. Thanks for all the good work you do do to keep this part of our City looking good, despite the morons who want to do otherwise. There's a pint in bank for you if I see you around.

Kevin.

Edited by bostin01

There used to be a boat hire basin in Swan Lane which I think is now all closed up but would offer the council with the right backing, the opportunity to make space available for visitors, just an idea

Yes Clubline Cruisers closed when Reg & Keith decided to retire but even then the canal was a shittip but with 26 boats going out most weeks they did help keep it clear of a lot of the debris

unfortunately the Longford, Foleshill and Stoke areas are plagued by a high population of less than proud people!

I wish Maffi (and others) the best of luck. Unfortunately the southern end of the Coventry has always been used as a rubbish tip by both local residents and industry alike. It was just as bad in the 1960's.

Despite the valiant efforts of volunteers it never seems to remain clear for more than a few days. Last time we ventured into Coventry we were stopped just outside the baisin entrance by the sheer amout of debris floating on the surface, apparently the Volunteer organizer had been on holiday for a fortnight!

Yes Clubline Cruisers closed when Reg & Keith decided to retire but even then the canal was a shittip but with 26 boats going out most weeks they did help keep it clear of a lot of the debris

unfortunately the Longford, Foleshill and Stoke areas are plagued by a high population of less than proud people!

That is a polite way of putting it.

Swan Lane Wharf has never been in better shape, 20 private boats of all shapes and sizes making for a nice small canal community, the only one on the 5.5 miles between Sutton Stop and the basin, it is far from being closed and is under no circumstances available to the council for a hire fleet.

Canal clearances between Sutton Stop and Swan Lane Wharf are the responsibility of Coventry Canal Club. Clearances from Swan Lane Wharf to the city centre is the responsibility of The Living Environment Trust. Swan Lane Wharf provides facilities for the collected rubbish to be stored and disposed of.

Swan Lane Wharf has never been in better shape, 20 private boats of all shapes and sizes making for a nice small canal community, the only one on the 5.5 miles between Sutton Stop and the basin, it is far from being closed and is under no circumstances available to the council for a hire fleet.

Canal clearances between Sutton Stop and Swan Lane Wharf are the responsibility of Coventry Canal Club. Clearances from Swan Lane Wharf to the city centre is the responsibility of The Living Environment Trust. Swan Lane Wharf provides facilities for the collected rubbish to be stored and disposed of.

Well I was down at Swan Lane twice last year and both times I stopped and collected a bag full of rubbish. Its not about who's responsibility, its about seeing a mess and going out to clear it.

Edited by Maffi

Good for you, glad you caught a break with those creeps. clapping.gif

Don't be so sure. I had a very scary time when letters with my name on were found dumped with a load of rubbish in a location I had never been to or even heard of. I hate dumped rubbish but there was no way I could prove I hadn't been there. Nor had I any idea whatsoever how my letters had got there. I was interviewed under caution, an unpleasant and worrying experience.

Well I was down at Swan Lane twice last year and both times I stopped and collected a bag full of rubbish. Its not about who's responsibility, its about seeing a mess and going out to clear it.

Well done you, I'll inform the trustees of the Living Environment Trust and committee of the Coventry Canal Society that their efforts are needed and I'll ask the CRT to remove their skips from SLW. I'm curious to know if the mattresses and sofas will fit in a plastic bag

Well done you, I'll inform the trustees of the Living Environment Trust and committee of the Coventry Canal Society that their efforts are needed and I'll ask the CRT to remove their skips from SLW. I'm curious to know if the mattresses and sofas will fit in a plastic bag

I am not sure what you are trying to say, but Maffis's experience is similar to mine. Despite the alleged regular clear ups there is still a lot of rubbish both on the towpath and in the canal. Cruising betweeen Sutton Stop and Coventry basin, one woiuld be forgiven for thinking that a furniture van had emptied its entire contents into the canal. Jan spent the whole time on the foredeck pushing armchairs, beds etc out of the way with a pole.

How often do the two organizaions quoted actually undertake any clearance, and do they do it voluntarily, or are they paid?

I am not sure what you are trying to say, but Maffis's experience is similar to mine. Despite the alleged regular clear ups there is still a lot of rubbish both on the towpath and in the canal. Cruising betweeen Sutton Stop and Coventry basin, one woiuld be forgiven for thinking that a furniture van had emptied its entire contents into the canal. Jan spent the whole time on the foredeck pushing armchairs, beds etc out of the way with a pole.

How often do the two organizaions quoted actually undertake any clearance, and do they do it voluntarily, or are they paid?

You're right, my last posting was a load of nonsense because I was not concentrating, sorry about that.

What I should have said is that well done those who do pick up rubbish on a casual basis however the services provided by the LIving Environment Trust and the Coventry Canal Society are also essential. Between them they pull a couple of tonnes out each month sometimes more. There's no way the strolling litter picker is going to get rid of a sofa for example, but the CCS and the LET pull one or two out each month. This is then deposited in a compound at Swan Lane Wharf from where it is transported for sorting and disposal. I think the previous postings have been a bit quick to overlook the efforts of these two organisations.

I will not discuss the arrangements that the Coventry Canal Society or the Living Environment Trust have agreed regarding reimbursements for their time and expenses as I have no idea, however I can assure you that Swan Lane Wharf have neither asked for nor received any payment or benefit for cordoning off a good portion of our premises for the storage and disposal of the filth that they so regularly pull out of the canal.

I also know that the Coventry Canal Society also organise regular, well attended, voluntary litter picks but I'm sure if somebody chooses their days carefully they will find something to criticise.

In the absence of anybody else mentioning it, a big Well done Coventry Canal Society and the Living Environment Trust for your marvellous, un seen, un noticed and unappreciated up hill efforts and thanks for continuing to do so despite the criticism this forum levels at you.

• Greenie 1

I have just emailed the CCS to find out when their work day are as i would like to help

The web site only gives details for February and March 2013

If i ever meet Maffi At a canalside pub a few glasses of the dark stuff are coming his way, the man is a legend

Edited by the_wheels

Their next clearance event is February 9th meeting at Sutton Stop at 10am, after that the next clearance is March 9th once again 10:00am at Sutton Stop, both days they finish at 16:00h back at Sutton Stop.

They're a good bunch and their boat "Panther" is wonderful.

Thanks for joining in and keeping our little bit of canal that bit clearer

• 11 months later...

I have just emailed the CCS to find out when their work day are as i would like to help

If i ever meet Maffi At a canalside pub a few glasses of the dark stuff are coming his way, the man is a legend

I shall be at Hawkesbury in a few days.

I shall be at Hawkesbury in a few days.

Clearly you have a long memory when offered a few drinks

At CCS we volunteer several weekends of our time every year. We don't suggest dates we are available, we are told what dates to attend and if we are not free it is our responsibility to find replacements.

Whenever I've done it (6 years and counting ... I'm a newcomer) Only a handful have ever been from Coventry, Many come from far afield 100+ miles round trip not uncommon. We used to have one bloke come down from Scotland.

We often half fill Panther's hold, then unload it all at the other end. It's starting to seem that carting away the rubbish is is giving out the wrong message as Towpath Hoppers will wave the can of cider they are drinking in the general direction of a nearby bush whilst incoherently muttering about there being more over there.

And guess what ... it's the same brand!

The Council have removed the dog poo bins, so it's not unusual to see 50 plastic bagged turds decorating wire fences.

Every towpath with a path leading from a road bridge is an ideal place to guarantee dragging out push bikes, trolleys and push chairs every time we do it.

I don't understand why scrap metal merchants bother driving slowly around housing estates hoping for scrap. All they need to do is what we do, they'd be guaranteed results every day.

So no, we're not paid .... in fact it's becoming difficult to be confident that the promised skip will be there at the end of the day. Otherwise we end up with a ton or two of rubbish and no where to put it.

frusty.gif

When I did the arm ? into Coventry passed a boat of community service bods doing flotsam and jetsom clearance

1. it's not an arm. The Coventry Canal goes from The Basin to Fradley Junction. Sutton Stop is 5 1/2 miles from the basin.

2. Simply because we wear Personal protective equipment (PPE) - COSHH - HSE doesn't mean we have been convicted of any of the following .......

You may get a community sentence if you’re convicted of a crime by a court but are not sent to prison.

You may have to do unpaid work in your local community, like removing graffiti. This is called Community Payback.

Community sentences can be given for crimes such as:

• damaging property
  • benefit fraud
  • assault

You may get a community sentence if:

• the court thinks you’re more likely to stop committing crime than if you go to prison
  • it’s the first time you have committed a crime

Or are you suggesting it was Maffi you saw?