Thank you mods!

Beaker

Featured Posts

I understand exactly what you are saying but I do think we (parents and education) have to ensure that our youngsters get the best chance of understanding how to spell correctly, even if they use text speak etc. I am not tarring all with the same brush though, but they all need the chance and I do not feel they all get it.

Being totally honest ( & as some members will know) I can't read or write very well at all, but what I find much worse, & almost impossible to master or distinguish between is the friendly banter & sarcasm given, mainly because its writing, there is obviously no body language or voice procedure accompanying the writing. It's not so much about the subject matter or content, as it is about being able to express oneself In writing that is the difficult bit. & not being skilled in grammar sometimes makes you choose the wrong words in a post. Which not only makes you look a twxt,it might make you come across as ,,,well,,an uneducated twxt !.

Up until some 2month ago I was paying for my own private lessons .I joined this forum,& have to say, I genuinely feel I have learnt more in 2 month on here, than in the last year of private lessons,& saved a fortune to boot. Yes i get it wrong & will continue to get it wrong i dare say. But without doubt,in my mind it had helped me tremendously.

So I am very mindful & aware that some members that arnt very academic may find any forum a very intimidating place.

Does any of that actually make any sense,or is it even relevant to what we are talking about ?.

• Greenie 2

Being totally honest ( & as some members will know) I can't read or write very well at all, but what I find much worse, & almost impossible to master or distinguish between is the friendly banter & sarcasm given, mainly because its writing, there is obviously no body language or voice procedure accompanying the writing. It's not so much about the subject matter or content, as it is about being able to express oneself In writing that is the difficult bit. & not being skilled in grammar sometimes makes you choose the wrong words in a post. Which not only makes you look a twxt,it might make you come across as ,,,well,,an uneducated twxt !.

Up until some 2month ago I was paying for my own private lessons .I joined this forum,& have to say, I genuinely feel I have learnt more in 2 month on here, than in the last year of private lessons,& saved a fortune to boot. Yes i get it wrong & will continue to get it wrong i dare say. But without doubt,in my mind it had helped me tremendously.

So I am very mindful & aware that some members that arnt very academic may find any forum a very intimidating place.

Does any of that actually make any sense,or is it even relevant to what we are talking about ?.

Your grammar in your post was superb. You have nothing to worry about. Well written:)

edit to correct spelling of grammar.

Edited by DeanS
  • Greenie 1

I'm shocked. To me, you come across on the forums as perfectly articulate and capable.

I used to correct people's grammar and spelling on here in what I hoped was a tongue-in-cheek way, but I've stopped recently as a result of criticism. Seems a shame as it results in debasement of the language but there we are. Language is a constantly developing err, thing, and one day soon I suspect 'your' and 'you're' (for example) will become regarded as fully interchangeable. Arrrghhh!!

Blimey is that the time?

MtB

• Greenie 1

Ok....

two short comments/questions....

What's a Troll? in relation to a discussion forum?

I'm shocked. To me, you come across on the forums as perfectly articulate and capable.

I used to correct people's grammar and spelling on here in what I hoped was a tongue-in-cheek way, but I've stopped recently as a result of criticism. Seems a shame as it results in debasement of the language but there we are. Language is a constantly developing err, thing, and one day soon I suspect 'your' and 'you're' (for example) will become regarded as fully interchangeable. Arrrghhh!!

Blimey is that the time?

MtB

Secondly - Mike feel free to continue to correct me anytime you see me saying/typing tire instead of tyre ... it keeps me on my toes cheers.gif

B~

Ok....

two short comments/questions....

What's a Troll? in relation to a discussion forum?

Secondly - Mike feel free to continue to correct me anytime you see me saying/typing tire instead of tyre ... it keeps me on my toes cheers.gif

B~

A troll is someone who posts a supposedly innocent but controversial comment on a discussion forum with the goal of provoking a storm of emotionally charged response. Done properly, the troll gets off on all the ensuing critisism and debate about whether he is a troll or not!

See the threads started recently by the user 'night train' for an example.

You missed the full stop from the last sentence in you're post ;):D

MtB

Troll - in fishing terms, it's quite a deadly technique - an attractive lure is set deep on a rod and it's dragged (by rowing a boat or just ticking over on the engine of boat) really slowly and deep through the water - and some fish find it irresisible to bite.

Some claim this is the origin of the word (adjective) trolling as used on t'internet but others associate it with mythical horrible things that hide under rocks etc - both analogies seem to work.

So in the vernacular - it's a posting composed soley to act as a deliberate "wind up".

A poor attempt at a humurous post or even a naive question can often be mis-taken as a "troll" attempt - especially from a new poster.

Edited by mark99

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?168987-important-please-read

Ha ha. I'm a Palace fan and I post on the BBS quite a lot, I quite often pop over to NSC for a bit of a laugh (I don't post though). Is The Major still banging on about attendances?

For anyone who thinks they/others get a hard time on this site, the above is a link to a thread on a football forum I post on. Have a look....

I think trolls and newbies who get offended on here get off quite lightly.

Sorry, phone messed up that post. My bit is just after the link!

Hi Mike, your post ref spelling and grammar makes sense, however you have forgotten 2 other factors and they are "Fat Fingers" and auto spellcheck. While I am not too bad (I think) I often get caught out as most of the time I post using my BB

And it's so easy to get it wrong.

Phil

That makes perfect sense, Paul, your writing has come on in leaps and bounds in the short time since you joined; you can be very proud of yourself. smile.png

I totally agree, I find it very difficult to hold back from correcting stuff, but as I think someone said, it's very easy to upset someone over it, so I tend to let it go.

My pet hate just now is 'ect.'

Edited to capitalise the 'I' (my tablet does it automatically).

Edited by Beaker

I think there are 2 types of trolls. Night Train is an example of an amateur troll, whose posts were clearly antagonistic....clearly a wind up.....clearly not a genuine posts. The response from many (including me) was to poke fun at "the troll", because it was very clear he was a troll. This sort of trolling is not really that dangerous, as everyone identifies the troll quickly, and the thread gets locked etc. Limited damage.

The most dangerous form of trolling , which I've often seen on the forum, is where an OP may have asked a genuine question, and various persons are responding, and it slowly goes off topic...because a certain forum member is asking "clever questions" , which heighten the mood, cause escalation of emotions, and very often provoke personal attacks and more. These trolls hide amongst us....sometimes being quite normal....but sometimes on full troll mode. Those are the ones you need to watch out for...it can get darn right ugly.

I think there are 2 types of trolls. Night Train is an example of an amateur troll, whose posts were clearly antagonistic....clearly a wind up.....clearly not a genuine posts. The response from many (including me) was to poke fun at "the troll", because it was very clear he was a troll. This sort of trolling is not really that dangerous, as everyone identifies the troll quickly, and the thread gets locked etc. Limited damage.

The most dangerous form of trolling , which I've often seen on the forum, is where an OP may have asked a genuine question, and various persons are responding, and it slowly goes off topic...because a certain forum member is asking "clever questions" , which heighten the mood, cause escalation of emotions, and very often provoke personal attacks and more. These trolls hide amongst us....sometimes being quite normal....but sometimes on full troll mode. Those are the ones you need to watch out for...it can get darn right ugly.

Ooh, I wonder who you mean?

A troll is someone who posts a supposedly innocent but controversial comment on a discussion forum with the goal of provoking a storm of emotionally charged response. Done properly, the troll gets off on all the ensuing critisism and debate about whether he is a troll or not!

It is worth mentioning that "done properly", the troll should make the opening post, and must NOT post again

Hmmm dammit, that's a new one I've yet to notice. No doubt it's everywhere now you've tuned me in to it!!

Or did you mean the placing of the 'full stop' inside the parentheses?

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

MtB

Ohh, now then. Should it be 'ect.'. (sic)

Richard

Hmmm dammit, that's a new one I've yet to notice. No doubt it's everywhere now you've tuned me in to it!!

Or did you mean the placing of the 'full stop' inside the parentheses?

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

MtB

It's an abbreviation! tongue.png

ETA ...If it was spelt correctly.

Edited by Beaker

It is worth mentioning that "done properly", the troll should make the opening post, and must NOT post again

And that is where Troll Baiting originates. To beat the Troll at his own game, and get him so wound up, that he loses his cool, and instead of the thread descending into chaos, he bites and can be taken to pieces.

I refer to the earlier posted link to the NSC website. Now that is Class A Troll Spanking. I urge everyone here, who thinks that simply calling out a 'troll' or bad mannered poster, to read the complete thread. Those guys did not f about...

edit for some truly pathetic spolling

Edited by luctor et emergo

And that is where Troll Baiting originates. To beat the Troll at his own game, and get him so wound up, that he loses his cool, and instead of the thread descending into chaos, he bites and can be taken to pieces.

I refer to the earlier posted link to the NSC website. Now that is Class A Troll Spanking. I urge everyone here, who thinks that simply calling out a 'troll' or bad mannered poster, to read the complete thread. Those guys did not f about...

That thread made the local rag and I THINK it got a piece in one of the nationals.

People like 'night train' would do well to read that NSC thread before coming onto a canal forum and asking them if they are pikeys etc....