Engine problem

Pike perch

Featured Posts

Off topic but Hi and welcome, just to reassure you usually the ribbing is only meant in gentle fun and once you get used to us and get to know the various characters on here you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped.

And it is not just newbies who get ribbed it happens to us all, I'm 0K though because I just plead Age Immunity.

Phil

If you take off your weedhatch, be very sure to check you have tightened it up properly afterwards and it's watersealed. Check weedhatch seal for leaks in forward and reverse gear. NB remove keys from ignition if putting your hands down weedhatch.

Edited by mark99

Many apologies for the scant description....not only am I new to boating, but also to the internet and forums. While I appreciate the help/advice given so far by the members of this group, I'm also taken aback by the apparent childish sarcasm of others!

Welcome back, and thanks for the proper detail. Now have a reasonable idea of what equipment we are attempting to diagnose.

As an internet newbie yourself, you will be unaware to the tendency of newbies to pitch up on here and ask a vague technical question generating a series of helpful responses guessing the problem and asking for more information, only for them never to return to the board. Hence the sarcasm at any lazily-draughted question especially from a new member.

Anyway, having said all that I'd agree with the others, this sounds like a fouled blade to me. Have you opened the weed hatch to inspect it? A

Another test is to try turning the proshaft by hand with the gearbox in neutral (and engine OFF). It should turn freely, if with a bit of effort as it is HEAVY!

MtB

If you take off your weedhatch, be very sure to check you have tightened it up properly afterwards and it's watersealed. Check weedhatch seal for leaks in forward and reverse gear. NB remove keys from ignition if putting your hands down weedhatch.

Also remove your mobile fone from the top pocket of your overalls or shirt :D

MtB

Nothing to add - Check through the weed hatch first and if unsure of what you are looking at/for post a rough location of your boat and a forum member may well be happy to have a look and show you.

If thats OK we might start thinking about fuel starvations which probably means blockage in something as long as the tank is half full or more but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Just a thought, do you know where your fuel shut off tap is and is it fully open?

Also try running it with the fuel filler off just in case its a blocked tank breather but I doubt it is.

Catweasel, to tell you the truth...I haven't a clue what a stern gear is! smile.png but I could possibly get a scanned photo of the engine if that would help. Yes, there's plenty of oil in the gearbox and the engine has been regularly maintained.

Re;- Stern gear. Its important to know which type of stern tube gear you have. If of the traditional packed type it will need greasing regularly, is there a greaser for this? If of the rubber cutless type ''Vetus'' no but will need a little attention periodically with silicon grease at the inboard end lip seal.

The boat was fitted with a new propeller shaft and stern tube bearing last month and I check the weed hatch at regular intervals. After going into reverse (in attempt to clear anything lodged), it glides along smoothly, but as soon as I try to speed her up a little...the problem re-appears.

Bizzard....I turn down the stern tube greaser at the end of each days cruising.

I would check the diesel fuel filter(s) first, even if you just blow them clear, until you can buy some new ones.

I would recommend greasing the stern gland in the morning before you set of. The stern gland will still be hot a night and the grease tend to melt and run out overnight.

Ignore the sarcasm, some members get cabin crazy, with nothing else to entertain them. For gods sake always check your spelling!

Alex

The boat was fitted with a new propeller shaft and stern tube bearing last month and I check the weed hatch at regular intervals. After going into reverse (in attempt to clear anything lodged), it glides along smoothly, but as soon as I try to speed her up a little...the problem re-appears.

Yes but have you checked the weed hatch since the problem arose. I'm sure you must have but you appear to have avoided confirming this.

Are you have tried blasts of astern to clear the blade, did you notice if the problem existed in astern too, or not, or was still there but not as bad?

I'm wondering if you tank and fuel filter is contaminated with diesel bug.

MtB

Bizzard....I turn down the stern tube greaser at the end of each days cruising.

Are you by any chance boating through an area with a lot of leaves on the surface of the cut?

Roger

I've not avoided anything Mtb, if you check back on previous comments, you'll note that I've mentioned how I check the weed hatch at regular intervals! The fuel tank is constantly kept near to full as possible to avoid the risk of diesel bug contamination.

We are indeed Albion..could this be part of the problem?

As the problem occurs in gear, but it's OK at slow speed, I'd go for the fuel starvation scenario. Is it an electric pump? If so, check the pump filter in the pump, especially if there isn't a filter before the pump.

Iain

I've not avoided anything Mtb, if you check back on previous comments, you'll note that I've mentioned how I check the weed hatch at regular intervals! The fuel tank is constantly kept near to full as possible to avoid the risk of diesel bug contamination.

Once a year is a regular interval. Stop being awkward, when did you last check it?

MtB

Actually, I'd wouldn't class checking anything once a year as regular...but each to their own! What I mean by regular is at least once a day!

Pedant alert: A regular interval is any interval that has the same time between it, whether that be hourly, daily, yearly or biannually.

Actually, I'd wouldn't class checking anything once a year as regular...but each to their own! What I mean by regular is at least once a day!

I think you are confusing 'regularly' with 'frequently'.

Anyway you still seem to have ignored most of the questions asked of you so I'll leave the thread now. You seem to have some sort of hidden agenda other than finding a solution and I'm not playing this game any more ;)

MtB

• Greenie 1

What can happen, although there may be other problems, is that leaves build up round the prop as you're going along in forward. A burst of reverse clears them and you can then resume forward motion OK but the leaves soon build up again. If you decide to check the weed hatch then by the time you've got the weed hatch off the leaves have floated away and there is nothing to see. It can be a real problem at certain times of year. Can't guarantee it, but certain parts of your problem description suggest it as a possibility. I've had it in the past and there was another thread just recently that discussed the problem during the course of the thread.

From your description there seems to be little reason why a burst of reverse should give you restored OK forward motion if we are talking fuel contamination/starvation, in fact, if the fuel shortage was that severe you wouldn't be able to give it a burst of reverse IMO.

Roger

Edited to add: I've just checked back through the whole thread and note that in your post #1 and #16 you mention a grinding noise. This doesn't really fit in with my suggestion. However, your description in your post #32 is very characteristic. As always, remote diagnostics over the web are always difficult. You can eliminate my suggestion if you can get to a bit of clear water, a reverse burst to clear the prop and then see what happens in forward. Problem returns, you have another problem, problem clears then my suggestion is valid.

Just some other thoughts to chuck in. Is your new prop shaft still securely retained in the gearbox coupling? When the new prop shaft was fitted did they check/adjust the alignment? Could the engine alignment have shifted slightly due to the engine mount adjustments coming loose? Does the propshaft aft bearing get hot after a period of travel?

Edited by Albion

Many thanks Albion and to everyone else who's provided constructive advice, it's been much appreciated. I've made a check list of all the possible problems and solutions suggested and will through it over the next few days and will keep you updated.

Until then, take care and thanks once again.

Its also very possible that your propeller is too close or even touching the stern tube collar on the stern post. If it is then when driving forwards the propellers boss will rub on it metal to metal and possibly make the grinding noise due to fore and aft movement in a flexible drive train.

Its also very possible that your propeller is too close or even touching the stern tube collar on the stern post. If it is then when driving forwards the propellers boss will rub on it metal to metal and possibly make the grinding noise due to fore and aft movement in a flexible drive train.

Hhmm, I wonder if it could be a combination of my suggestion of a slightly loose shaft coupling and your idea Biz of the prop boss rubbing. A burst of reverse thrust clears the problem for a while until sustained forward thrust at higher revs causes the hub to touch again, but OK as long as the revs are kept right down.................and all this one month after having the stern gear replaced, hhhmmm.

Roger

Catweasel, to tell you the truth...I haven't a clue what a stern gear is! smile.png but I could possibly get a scanned photo of the engine if that would help. Yes, there's plenty of oil in the gearbox and the engine has been regularly maintained.

What !!! and you expect help when you can't be bothered to understand the most basic elements of your own boat. No wonder some on here are a bit ironic:)