Dogs on leads while on towpath

Kristian

Featured Posts

I seem to recall sometime ago reading something about dogs must be on a lead while on the canal towpath.

This if i think right was a BW bylaw and Im i right that a towpath is private property with public access?

Do dogs have to be on leads while on the towpath by law?

Thanks

Yes most emphatically. Dogs have to be kept on leads! And I believe that according to bylaw 23.1 (Length of Lead) that the Length of Lead, LOL for short, must be such that it is always running at right angles to the path and if possible taught! Ideally, the lead should be of the thin variety and unlimited in length. Of course, one has to take into account the terrain (where is my blasted smellpecker!) .... one has to be concious that at certain times of the years the toepath will be muddy and full of puddles awaiting mishaps to happen!

Always carry a first aid kit in readiness for those accusations of finger pointing and consequent biting off of said digit .....

woof woof!

I seem to recall sometime ago reading something about dogs must be on a lead while on the canal towpath.

This if i think right was a BW bylaw and Im i right that a towpath is private property with public access?

Do dogs have to be on leads while on the towpath by law?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge, though sensible if there are other dogs, other animals and people around.

No mention of a by-law here.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/dog-walking-on-our-canals-and-rivers

Edited by The Dog House

No they don't have to be on a lead but, in a confined narrow space such as a towpath I believe they should be.

I don't impose my dogs on other people and it is unreasonable that other people believe they have a right to impose their dogs on me and mine.

• Greenie 1

No they don't have to be on a lead but, in a confined narrow space such as a towpath I believe they should be.

I don't impose my dogs on other people and it is unreasonable that other people believe they have a right to impose their dogs on me and mine.

100% right. We don't usually have our dogs on leads walking the towpath, but we do try to guage how others see our dogs on approaching them & if we are in doubt we put our dogs on leads. The same when meeting other dog walkers, if they put theirs on a lead, we do the same & if they don't it's a good sign that their dog is friendly too. If in any doubt at all, better to put them on a lead, it's all about respecting other users.

The only ones that need to be permanently on leads are certain types of cyclists! tongue.png

• Greenie 1

The only time that my well trained Staffie is normally on a lead is if vehicles share the towpath. She doesn't bother pedestrians or cyclists & will either ignore other dogs or play with them if they come bounding up.

I've never had anyone from CaRT tell me that she should be on a lead.

I've no idea what your dog is actually like, but it is a general feature of dog owners that their darling pet woofy-woofy can do no wrong and is "perfectly under control at all times" (even when seen bounding up to strangers, barking and snapping at them, chasing wildlife etc). Even those who go on to maul small children to death etc.

So for me, dogs (who despite all the anthropomorphisation are in fact animals and therefore to some extent unpredictable) should be on a lead in a public place where others are present. But they rarely are, and I have the paw prints to prove it!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 4

The only time that my well trained Staffie is normally on a lead is if vehicles share the towpath. She doesn't bother pedestrians or cyclists & will either ignore other dogs or play with them if they come bounding up.

It's amazing how many dog owners cry "It's never done that before!" just after it has imposed itself on people who do not either want to make friends or be attacked.

I know my dogs are under control because, in confined spaces, they are on a lead.

They used to be muzzled too but a labrador attacked one of them recently and he was unable to defend himself so I was forced to boot the attacking dog in the cut.

Funnily enough as the lab was running towards us the ignorant, irresponsible dog owner was shouting "It's okay...He's friendly!".

My dogs go unmuzzled now

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

100% right. We don't usually have our dogs on leads walking the towpath, but we do try to guage how others see our dogs on approaching them & if we are in doubt we put our dogs on leads. The same when meeting other dog walkers, if they put theirs on a lead, we do the same & if they don't it's a good sign that their dog is friendly too. If in any doubt at all, better to put them on a lead, it's all about respecting other users.

The only ones that need to be permanently on leads are certain types of cyclists! :P

We'll put,same here.

It's all to easy to forget isn't it. We know how daft or dippy our fury companions our,but for other people & animals who may have had unpleasant experience in the past and a dislike for them it is a real concern for them. So a bit of respect while in a shared place doesn't hurt

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

One further advantage of boating in some parts of the north is that you can walk the big wide tow paths for ages and not see another soul.

Thus our JRT can spend significant time off his lead whilst out walking.

My little King Charles "Charlie Chuckles" was once attacked my a Dalmatian and a Labrador I had to lie on Chuckles to stop them ripping him apart .... It was an horrific incident luckily Chuckles suffered only one small puncture wound but it made him go from an extremely trusting little chap into a defensive brat. I never did get over the fear of meeting loose dogs on the towpath. The owner of the dogs was on crutches but was with a local dog walker woman who thank heavens threw the beasts in the cut... Only after I had screamed that one of them do something.... The owner did ask if there were any vet bills to pay and apologised. Now Chuckles is over the rainbow bridge but my ancient half blind deaf cat Starvi Marvin was travelling on the cut with us, but I since decided he is too much at risk, sometimes from his own antics, the last time he was with us, we were moored alongside another boat, Starvin Marvin only decides to straggle both boats and try to make his way from one end of the boats to the other whilst I am running inside the length of our boat yo try and grab him, luckily hubby managed to swoop him up to safety. So seeing as I do not think Marvin would move an inch should he be dressed in a life jacket... he will have to stay on land

Dogs on leads is a good idea me thinks having said that there is nothing nicer than seeing your pooch enjoying it's freedom. So be conscious of others around you !

Edited by Dottyshirl

I dont have our dog on a lead when we walk her down the towpath, however she never walks more than 10ft in front of us and comes back when i call her.

When other people/dogs approach i always put her on the lead then let her off when they are well enough away.

Its not hard to slip her lead on and off to save any hassle or her being attacked by another dog.

My little King Charles "Charlie Chuckles" was once attacked my a Dalmatian and a Labrador I had to lie on Chuckles to stop them ripping him apart .... It was an horrific incident luckily Chuckles suffered only one small puncture wound but it made him go from an extremely trusting little chap into a defensive brat. I never did get over the fear of meeting loose dogs on the towpath. The owner of the dogs was on crutches but was with a local dog walker woman who thank heavens threw the beasts in the cut... Only after I had screamed that one of them do something.... The owner did ask if there were any vet bills to pay and apologised. Now Chuckles is over the rainbow bridge but my ancient half blind deaf cat Starvi Marvin was travelling on the cut with us, but I since decided he is too much at risk, sometimes from his own antics, the last time he was with us, we were moored alongside another boat, Starvin Marvin only decides to straggle both boats and try to make his way from one end of the boats to the other whilst I am running inside the length of our boat yo try and grab him, luckily hubby managed to swoop him up to safety. So seeing as I do not think Marvin would move an inch should he be dressed in a life jacket... he will have to stay on land

Dogs on leads is a good idea me thinks having said that there is nothing nicer than seeing your pooch enjoying it's freedom. So be conscious of others around you !

Dennis nearly met his maker in France last year when a huge German Shepard (off a lead) went for him.

Jan reacted first literally had to prise it's jaws apart but luckily no skin punctures and he was freed.

She says she just 'reacted' without the slightest thought for her own safety, almost like an automatic reaction.

Edited by The Dog House

Jan reacted first literally had to prise it's jaws apart but luckily no skin punctures and he was freed.

She says she just 'reacted' without the slightest thought for her own safety, almost like an automatic reaction.

My hubby went mad with me that I put myself in danger, but like Jan, it was just a natural response. I would never have got over seeing my faithful friend being ripped apart

Don't think C&RT have a rule, but some local Councils do.

A shame that some dog owners don't appreciate that a dog running up to people can be very threatening, however friendly the dog is. Also I've seen too many dog walkers intentionally not looking back when their dog has stopped for a crap...

I don't know the legal position but many of the folks I know who profess not to like dogs have generally had an unpleasant experience, which is usually the fault of an irresponsible dog owner. I think the general public would have much more sympathy/affection for dogs/owners if more people kept them under proper control.

The ones who really annoy me are those who allow their pets to run riot around locks.

As the towpath is one of the few places where there is no danger of cars I do walk my dog off lead.... however my dog is well trained and I am aware that not everyone finds her as adorable as I do and so I keep her manners in check. Nothing worse than an illtrained mutt...

Edited by hopefulboater
  • Greenie 1

I've no idea what your dog is actually like, but it is a general feature of dog owners that their darling pet woofy-woofy can do no wrong and is "perfectly under control at all times" (even when seen bounding up to strangers, barking and snapping at them, chasing wildlife etc). Even those who go on to maul small children to death etc.

So for me, dogs (who despite all the anthropomorphisation are in fact animals and therefore to some extent unpredictable) should be on a lead in a public place where others are present. But they rarely are, and I have the paw prints to prove it!

Well, I've stated what my dog is actually like. I have worked with animals for a good part of my working life & am well aware that they can have 'selective deafness' at times. I am happy that my dog's towpath walking off the lead will cause no problems to other users.

The same reply applies to Carlt's post.

I am happy that my dog's towpath walking off the lead will cause no problems to other users.

The same reply applies to Carlt's post.

I too am happy that my dogs cause no problems but I don't expect other towpath users to have a telepathic perception of my dogs' temperament.

Your dog's "selective deafness" is precisely why it should be on a lead in a confined, narrow space such as a towpath...for its safety as well as others.

I too am happy that my dogs cause no problems but I don't expect other towpath users to have a telepathic perception of my dogs' temperament.

Your dog's "selective deafness" is precisely why it should be on a lead in a confined, narrow space such as a towpath...for its safety as well as others.

I didn't mention my dog's 'selective deafness', I mentioned animals in general. Don't really need your advice thanks.