Microchip your pets please.

madcat

Featured Posts

We are currently caring for a young black cat found shut in a cellar across the road, if it had been microchipped we could have reunited it with its family. Alas the vet could find no chip and no other ID on a collar. Door to door enquiries have failed to produce an owner.

Tommorow we will be putting posters round the district and the cat will be off to stay with a foster mum. We have reported it to cat protection and the RSPCA and the local vet has details too.

A microchip would have made all this a lot less stressful for the cat and us.

• Greenie 2

Agreed.

Dennis was chipped as a puppy and his collar tag confirms he has been.

It's worth using the 'Petlog' database too. Plus at annual vaccination time get your vet to confirm it's still there and where it's supposed to be as I have been given to understandvthe 'chip' can migrate.

We have ours chipped especially important now we're on the canal. They haven't gone astray yet though fortunately.

Good on you BTW for making the effort to reunite the cat with owner. I suspect the owner is thinking the worst, hope you can reunite them.

Greenie Madam smile.png

Edited by Julynian

Odin was chipped when he had his first inoculations, it's checked annually at his booster. I wouldn't have an animal that wasn't chipped - it's just additional stress without it - for you as well as the animal.

Madcat, I hope you find the owner quickly.

I agree too. Chips are an excellent idea for pets. The ones in our dogs read out their body temp. on a device at the vets too, which is more comfortable for them than a thermometer ohmy.png

Hope you find the cat's staff soon.

Edited by Guest

The chips can stop working though.

I have been at our vets whilst they seek acceptance from chip suppliers that they will fund a replacement where one has packed up.

Not that this in any way changes the sense of doing it - I'm just pointing out it is apparently not 100% certain that the chip will continue to do what it is supposed to, although I have no idea how rare this is.

Our two dogs are chipped but as CC'ers we have no address now. Our phone number is on the collar but don't know what else we can do. What do others do?

Use a family member address. You should have left contact telephone numbers though surely as well as an address??, I recall we could put 3 contact numbers down.

I should have added also we can update information on our chips by logging on to our account on line. There are different type accounts possibly that don't do this?

Edited by Julynian

The chips can stop working though.

I have been at our vets whilst they seek acceptance from chip suppliers that they will fund a replacement where one has packed up.

Not that this in any way changes the sense of doing it - I'm just pointing out it is apparently not 100% certain that the chip will continue to do what it is supposed to, although I have no idea how rare this is.

My understanding is that they don't stop working but can get 'lost' inside the animal.

Starry will know the score.

Wrinkley , trusted friend or relative as a contact address for your precious pets? Maybe the pet charities can advise, some of them may have dealt with this problem before.

Starry help, come and put us wise on the behaviour of chips.

Also can you microchip large beasties such as sheep and horses.

Wrinkley , trusted friend or relative as a contact address for your precious pets? Maybe the pet charities can advise, some of them may have dealt with this problem before. Starry help, come and put us wise on the behaviour of chips.

Also can you microchip large beasties such as sheep and horses.

The RFID chips are very reliable (I design them for a living!), but they have a small antenna (coil) and where this joins to the chip is a weakness. If you get a lot of flexing or whatever then the connection can break.

You can integrate the antenna on the chip but then the range of the device is very much reduced.

Edited by keble

Our recent acquisitions (three kittens) came ready chipped from the cat protection league and neutered and inoculated a bargain at £40 each I think.

Next thing will be to replace our magnet activated cat flap replaced with one which recognises the microchip.

Ain't technology wonderful?

Edited by Dyertribe

Our recent acquisitions (three kittens) came ready chipped from the cat protection league and neutered and inoculated a bargain at £40 each I think.

Next thing will be to replace our magnet activated cat flap replaced with one which recognises the microchip.

Ain't technology wonderful?

From what we were told at "Pets at Home", microchip catflaps are far from reliable. A pity, as our mog is currently being freaked out by visits from an interloper. Collars for cats are potentially dangerous and we won't consider one. Ideas, anyone?

My cats have always had quick release collars with elastic panels to save them from arm. Gets a bit frustrating when they come home having lost the collar but so far they have all been safe. The last two reached the ripe old ages of 15 and 19 and were very adventurous so I am happy to put collars specifically designed for cats on the new arrivals

Sorry, not convinced! Heard too many sad stories, even of the "quick release" type. Also, if they lose their collar they're not able to operate the catflap!

But It's your decision and I wish you and your new arrivals all the best.

From what we were told at "Pets at Home", microchip catflaps are far from reliable. A pity, as our mog is currently being freaked out by visits from an interloper. Collars for cats are potentially dangerous and we won't consider one. Ideas, anyone?

We replaced magnetic cat flap with microchip one due to interlopers. Been installed a year. No trouble at all. Cat and Owners very happy...though cats, unlike dogs, don't have owners....they have Staff!

Sorry, not convinced! Heard too many sad stories, even of the "quick release" type. Also, if they lose their collar they're not able to operate the catflap!

The only way we can stop our daughters Tom catching and killing birds (for fun) was to fit him with a bell and collar otherwise he is a proper 'hunter killer' which we don't think is fair on the local bird population. So t's collar with a quick release safety catch for him.

Even with a bell he has managed once to bring a bird home, but only once in many months rather than two or three times per week.

Edited by The Dog House

My understanding is that they don't stop working but can get 'lost' inside the animal.

Starry will know the score.

I wasn't aware that happened. Millie was chipped by her previous owners and she has the tag on her collar - I'll have to make sure the vet checks her chip when she has her annual check up. Thanks for the heads up.

I am a qualified micro chip implanter, and have been for over 10 years.. All my animals have always been chipped. The strange thing is although I can chip my own horse, I am not "Qualified" to chip anyone else's! Bit weird as have worked with them for over 30 years.

The only time I had any trouble was when I chipped my rescue bitch Rosie. Due to the fact she was so under weight, her chip has moved slightly. It can still be read, and I must admit as she was a bag of nerves I was desperate to get her done, lesson learned.

My old Bengal boy was returned to me on various occasions as he was chipped. He had medical issues that caused him to roam, mainly a retained testicle that 3 vets had missed!!!!

The most important thing is to keep MOBILE numbers and e mails up to date.

I must admit I have given up with collars and tags on pyxe as she looses them , her record is 3 on 1 day! I will however get another for when we cruise any where.

I also looked into the micro chip cat flaps, but as there is usually a large hairy head stuck out of the cat flap, the chances of my cat, let alone anyone else's entering the boat are slim!