Fatal Error Message - Anyone else getting them today?

Featured Posts

I also had one this afternoon, and one yesterday. They are rather tiresome - especially when one has typed a post, when one tries to post it, the Fatal Error turns up and eats the post.

The best thing to do I find is if the post is still sat there on screen trying to post just leave it and go and make a cuppa. Then when the fatal memory errors have passed press post again.

Sometimes you get a double post when you do this so you may need to delete the content of the duplicate but better than having to type a longish post again.

Time to move to a 10 posts/day limit, perhaps?

How would that help?

Doesn't a number of other things like 'searches' being carried out cause a drain on the forum resources.

Genuine question.

How would that hel

Doesn't a number of other things like 'searches' being carried out cause a drain on the forum resources.

Genuine question.

A lot of threads seem to be conversational in style, with brief (in size of message) posts between 2 or more members, but a lot of them resulting in multiple page threads. One can easily see that the active participants might make 30-40 or more posts per day. The problem is, that many others read this (without commenting) but every time a short message is added to the thread, its re-read and the server has to transmit the whole (page of the) thread again, including the bits already read previously. If there were less messages, it would result in less of this. The size of post wouldn't be limited, thus one would still be able to make their point, but one would be forced to think it over a bit more thoroughly rather than making one line retorts, etc, if one was limited to the 10/day. It would also give the opportunity for others who post less often to say something in the thread too (yes I know in theory they can anyway, but one post amongst pages of others can be overlooked).

People like you would have to change their posting style but the server would feel far less load.

It would therefore stifle some of the very best humour on here.

I did rather think you were hinting at trying to enforce something on 'people like us' but wasn't sure hence my question.

Thank you for confirming.

A lot of threads seem to be conversational in style, with brief (in size of message) posts between 2 or more members, but a lot of them resulting in multiple page threads. One can easily see that the active participants might make 30-40 or more posts per day. The problem is, that many others read this (without commenting) but every time a short message is added to the thread, its re-read and the server has to transmit the whole (page of the) thread again, including the bits already read previously. If there were less messages, it would result in less of this. The size of post wouldn't be limited, thus one would still be able to make their point, but one would be forced to think it over a bit more thoroughly rather than making one line retorts, etc, if one was limited to the 10/day. It would also give the opportunity for others who post less often to say something in the thread too (yes I know in theory they can anyway, but one post amongst pages of others can be overlooked).

People like you would have to change their posting style but the server would feel far less load.

but surely if what you say did happen this site wouldn't be the Number 1 site and we would miss all the fun from people argueing debating on here.

I'm looking for a new host for the Braidbar Owners Group after Christmas (we're Yahoo refugees) but I'm not interested in this one, rubbish service.

After giving up with Yahoo Groups, I found my ISP offers mailman - a free mailing list manager, which does the job for a small private group I run.

If not offered directly by your ISP, you should also be able to download a copy and run it on your own site.

I am staggered by these exception errors. The volume of data transmitted by users on a text based site like this must be microscopic by today's IP traffic standards.

I'm wandering if Dan is being turned over by the current ISP.

MtB

I could be wrong but the errors are not related to bandwidth usage (which I would agree should be small), but to the allocation of resource to the CWDF server on the (I assume) VM on which it is running.

I could be wrong but the errors are not related to bandwidth usage (which I would agree should be small), but to the allocation of resource to the CWDF server on the (I assume) VM on which it is running.

I see.

ISTR Dan moved to the current hosts due to the bandwidth limits being imposed by the previous host resulting in similar-looking error messages, hence my assumption.

Even so, I'd make the same comment regarding resources. How can text based forum software like CWF demand anything more than the most miniscule volume of resources by todays computing power standards?

MtB

can we not compare p*nis sizes in here, this is for error reports not debating. grow up the pair of you.

i got this at 2.30AM when i refreshed.although the forum was still working with this at the top above the banner.

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: failed to get memory at offset 16 in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php on line 3642

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

I know (how long it was). But its all I wanted to say at the time, and I'm within my hypothetical 10 posts/day limit. How many have you made in the past 24 hours?

Who knows, who cares? I don't obsess with how many posts other members make.

I find it strange that some do though.

can we not compare p*nis sizes in here, this is for error reports not debating. grow up the pair of you.

i got this at 2.30AM when i refreshed.although the forum was still working with this at the top above the banner.

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: failed to get memory at offset 16 in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php on line 3642

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/base/ipsMember.php:3642) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

It isn't a coding error - the errors are a downstream consequence of some arbitrary limit reached on resources on the server, ie its running out of whatever the "quota" of resources are. Forums these days are inevitably quite complex pieces of software (they used to be not so, but features and features have been added over the years, and the host insisted that the most up-to-date was used in an effort to diagnose the errors).

Whether its a simple technical misconfiguration throttling the server; or just that the server is genuinely overloaded - I can't tell, but I suspect the latter (since they'd have fixed a configuration issue already).

I know there's a momentum to try increase funding through dontations but I'm not sure what's been done with the extra income, whether it gone for example to a dedicated server for the site (ie instead of shared hosting). And that a new technical bod was brought in to liase/look at some of these things.

In the meantime, I suggested a solution - not a very elegant one - but it would be a solution to the problem. Possibly it could be tied into some kind of premium membership, for example if one pays £x/year then one can post as much as one likes. (TDH it was nothing personal against you, its just that you did ask a genuine question for its detailed explanation, hence I replied to your post earlier).

PS I believe around 2:30am is the backup time, the server tries to back up and stay online but it can run slow or not at all during. I've had slowness issues at 3am whilst having my breakfast getting ready for work a few times.

I am staggered by these exception errors. The volume of data transmitted by users on a text based site like this must be microscopic by today's IP traffic standards.

I'm wandering if Dan is being turned over by the current ISP.

MtB

Someone posting in the CWDF Facebook group claims a simple one line fix would overcome this problem.

Hamish Lowry-Martin Tis quite a simple problem that only needs a single line of code added to the php.ini

If the admin is not sure how to do this and is reading then message me for more details

I have not followed the whole topic is multiple places to know if that has already been tried, but to those uninitiated in such matters, it sounds like it maybe should be, if it has not yet been?

Are we meant to still be reporting these?

Just received this one a couple of minutes ago

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 14155776) (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/applications/forums/modules_public/forums/forums.php on line 968

B~