public liability insurance

provence

Featured Posts

whe are looking for insurance which covers us for liability away from the boat I.E i trip someone up at the local market,[ covered by house ins but not liveaboard boat ins] WE feel we should have this .

There is no need for you to have this insurance cover. I would doubt that it is available.

Should you "trip someone up at the local market" then it is as a result of two actions.

Either you did it on purpose or it was an accident.

If you did it on purpose then it is an assault and you could need legal cover to defend you in what would be a civil or criminal action against you.

If it was an accidental "Trip up" then it was just that.

If you are worried about this then get some lawyer fee insurance. It's available from a Legal Wise type company for a nominal amount.

Ref "legal cover", yep I found out just how useful that was--not, I contacted mine due to an unpleasant threatening letter and mistakes made by my solicitor which left me at risk only to be informed that these events not covered. I sorted all myself. Forget legal helplines.

Edited by patty-ann

Ref "legal cover", yep I found out just how useful that was--not, I contacted mine due to an unpleasant threatening letter and mistakes made by my solicitor which left me at risk only to be informed that these events not covered. I sorted all myself. Forget legal helplines.

It always pays to check what events are and are not covered by any insurance policy before you take up any policy.

A golf club i was a member of many years ago insisted that all members had cover in case they twatted someone with a wayward shot. The club stated that quite a few household policy's covered this along with say running someone over whilst on a pushbike and this proved to be the case when i contacted my insurers for clarity.

Then you're totally wasting your money, I really didn't think people were still falling for this well documented scam.

In my personal experience it is far from a scam and very very worthwhile. not to be confused with PPI or 'extended warranties' I'm talking about a separate policy that covers you for legal fees for 'valid' claims of course the devil is in the detail in making sure the cover is what you think it is but thats the case with anything isn't it....

perhaps you could educate us all by posting a link to the well documented scam to which you refer ?

In my personal experience it is far from a scam and very very worthwhile. not to be confused with PPI or 'extended warranties' I'm talking about a separate policy that covers you for legal fees for 'valid' claims of course the devil is in the detail in making sure the cover is what you think it is but thats the case with anything isn't it....

perhaps you could educate us all by posting a link to the well documented scam to which you refer ?

Basically add on policies to things like car insurance, boat insurance house insurance. Most of these type policies are a scam, or at the very least misleading. Not to be confused with legal protection insurance that's not necessarily connected to a particular insurance policy.

http://www.theinjurylawyers.co.uk/pdf/legal-expense-insurance-the-great-insurance-scam.pdf

Good Morning

i will try to explain my insurance needs more clearly

In a country of more and more litigation it is only wise to be covered for any costs or expence incurred by oneself in the public domain.

I am not looking for heath or injury insurance for myself

I am writing this slowly so that the the FRANK SPENCERS will be able to follow and understand it

Provence

Good Morning

i will try to explain my insurance needs more clearly

In a country of more and more litigation it is only wise to be covered for any costs or expence incurred by oneself in the public domain.

I am not looking for heath or injury insurance for myself

I am writing this slowly so that the the FRANK SPENCERS will be able to follow and understand it

Provence

Not quite sure who that is aimed at or if it's the best way to get the help you need, however.

I don't have this type of cover at home nor do I suspect does anybody else, I'm not even aware of any policy that covers such a broad risk area.

We have quite specific coverage for specific things eg our pet insurance covers our liability if our dog causes an accident in a public place or bites someone.

I'm guessing therefore you don't have such cover in your current circumstances at home so why do you expect you will need it if you are moving onto a boat, if you do have such cover why not speak to the company providing it to see if they will switch it to cover you whilst you live on a boat.

Realisticly though not only is such cover not needed, I don't believe such a thing is available.

In the U.S I believe there is a type of cover for this. However it's usually for minor incidents handled in their equivalent to our small claims court. For instance you run into someone's ankle with a shopping trolley. The person with a sprained ankle could sue you but usually only for medical expenses and or out of pocket expenses. In this country though medical care is free so there's rarely medical expenses involved and little point in claiming.

The U.S is different of course where medical has to be paid for in hard cash and is very expensive, so suing to recover medical expenses is common. If the person sustaining injury doesn't hold their own medical insurance so will need to claim from someone perceived to be at fault.

I think the small claims limit here is around £7,000 so a policy to cover you up to that amount might be useful.

I really fail to see though how much damage could be done by someone just by walking the streets, local park, swimming or shopping etc etc. Sometimes things happen that are simply accidents and small claim courts will probably take this into consideration and not start dishing out silly money for "pain & suffering"

Edited by Julynian

In my experience I think building contents insurance covers you for personal liability anywhere in the world?

Taking at random Churchill Insurance from a google search the following appears under the building contents insurance section of their policy document

Personal liabilities

1 Liability to the public

We will pay all amounts you become legally responsible for as

the occupier (but not as the owner) of your home or a private

person as a result of an accident which happens during the

period of cover if:

someone is injured, falls ill or dies; or

property is lost or damaged anywhere in the world during the

period of cover.

But we will not pay for liability:

if you or your domestic employees are injured, fall ill or die; or

if the lost or damaged property belongs to or is the

responsibility of you or any of your domestic employees;

caused by you owning or using any land or building other than

your home;

caused by your business;

created by any agreement, unless you would have been liable

without the agreement;

caused by you owning, having or using any Motorised Vehicle,

lifts, caravans, aircraft, hovercraft or watercraft (other than

hand-propelled or models) and livestock (other than pets);

caused by you passing on an infectious disease; or

caused by you owning or having a dangerous dog as defined

under the Dangerous Dogs Act1991or the Dangerous Dogs

(Northern Ireland) Order1991and any changes to that legislation.

The most we will pay for all claims arising from one incident

is £2,000,000.

Similarly building insurance covers public liability for the owner of the building (I have highlighted in bold some of the Churchill wording above)

Mick

Edited by zodiak

Insurance is a gamble and the odds are stacked in the bookies insurance companies' favour.

Weigh up your chances of injuring someone in the street and how much they are likely to sue you for.

If you think you are clumsy enough to be a hazard to the public then get quotes and, rather than take out a policy, put the money away in a Building Society each month.

Should you actually cause grief or damage to a passer-by and they tell you they are suing offer the contents of your savings account to them as recompense.

After 5 years,if you have not hurt anybody, buy yourself something nice with the money you would have given the insurance company and, if you still feel you are not safe around your fellow man, start the process again.

Not quite sure who that is aimed at or if it's the best way to get the help you need, however.

I don't have this type of cover at home nor do I suspect does anybody else, I'm not even aware of any policy that covers such a broad risk area.

We have quite specific coverage for specific things eg our pet insurance covers our liability if our dog causes an accident in a public place or bites someone.

I'm guessing therefore you don't have such cover in your current circumstances at home so why do you expect you will need it if you are moving onto a boat, if you do have such cover why not speak to the company providing it to see if they will switch it to cover you whilst you live on a boat.

Realisticly though not only is such cover not needed, I don't believe such a thing is available.

After it happened to a friend I checked that my household policy covered my if my dog ran out across the road and caused an accident with financial loss to a third party. It did

After it happened to a friend I checked that my household policy covered my if my dog ran out across the road and caused an accident with financial loss to a third party. It did

Indeed it may be covered by our household policy too (I haven't checked TBH) it's just that we bought pet insurance and an incidental/addtional benefit was specific insurance to cover the liability we would have if he caused an accident but also if he bit someone, you couldn't have the policy without it.

What I think happens in these instances of two companies covering the same thing is both companies agree to go halves and share the cost.

What I think happens in these instances of two companies covering the same thing is both companies agree to go halves and share the cost.

The only occasions I've had overlapping insurance (personal possessions covered by both household and travel), the travel policy specifically excluded items which were already covered by another policy.

Thanks Mike

We will not be house owners as we will be living on board

Provence

I realise that, my post was aimed at those who didn't think a buildings and contents policy would cover public and personal liability cover which usually they do

On a boat perhaps the easiest thing is just to take out a policy to cover claims against you from those whom you may accidentally injure or damage their property

Mick

The only occasions I've had overlapping insurance (personal possessions covered by both household and travel), the travel policy specifically excluded items which were already covered by another policy.

I've seen that in insurance policies. What happens if both policies exclude items covered by the other policy? Can you end up not covered?

It depends on the terms and conditions of your policy.

So under yours you were covered by one.

In thirty years of dealing with liability claims I can only remember dealing with a couple under a personal liability policy, but of course if you did badly injure someone in a bike accident or your dog did it could ruin you.

Insurance companies are happy to insure against events such as these as they are unlikely to happen but they are so unlikely that the premium is consequently low and it is only economic to provide the cover as a free add on, the most common being household contents which is the OP's problem as he does not need a household contents cover.

I can only suggest either consulting a broker or searching for another type of policy that includes the policy as an add on such as an annual travel policy, need to check the wording though to ensure it applies in all circumstances.

Basically add on policies to things like car insurance, boat insurance house insurance. Most of these type policies are a scam, or at the very least misleading. Not to be confused with legal protection insurance that's not necessarily connected to a particular insurance policy.

http://www.theinjurylawyers.co.uk/pdf/legal-expense-insurance-the-great-insurance-scam.pdf

so we are agreed then - your post refers to something completely different and not a waste of money....

I have to laugh that you chose to try to make your point by referring to a notorious ambulance chasers website. its scum like these people that are making the OP think he needs to try to protect himself against .. well people like that....

so we are agreed then - your post refers to something completely different and not a waste of money....

I have to laugh that you chose to try to make your point by referring to a notorious ambulance chasers website. its scum like these people that are making the OP think he needs to try to protect himself against .. well people like that....

No it doesn't

You've clearly purchased such useless products wacko.png It refers to legal protection add ons the kind you described as a purchasing in post 21 which are a waste of money, particularly those added to car insurance.

One thing i always pay extra for on house. car and boat is 'legal cover' - very worth while being able to get a solictor/barrister on your side to advise you and argue your case in court.

You clearly don't understand the link I pointed you to. Your payments of legal protection cover are the actual problem of ambulance chasing.

Your money though laugh.pnglaugh.png you carry on wasting it, no skin of my nose. In fact the extra profits you're giving to insurance companies for these is quite possibly keeping my insurance premiums lower laugh.pngcheers.gif

Edited by Julynian