public liability insurance

provence

Featured Posts

HI

We are soon to move aboard our canal boat full time.

This is new to us ,the only problem we seem to be unable to solve is personnel liability insurance.

With household insurance one is normally covered if you cause an accident away from home this is not the case with boat insurance.Where can one find cover for this.

Provence

HI

We are soon to move aboard our canal boat full time.

This is new to us ,the only problem we seem to be unable to solve is personnel liability insurance.

With household insurance one is normally covered if you cause an accident away from home this is not the case with boat insurance.Where can one find cover for this.

Provence

Do you mean causing a boating accident?

You have have third party insurance up to £3 2 million as part of your licence conditions and this is available from various companies.

ed - sorry just seen this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

Edited by The Dog House

Your boat insurance covers 'public liability' as well as damage to your boat (just like car insurance does)

Boat 'contents' insurance is frequently a quoted add-on dependent upon the value of your contents.

whe are looking for insurance which covers us for liability away from the boat I.E i trip someone up at the local market,[ covered by house ins but not liveaboard boat ins] WE feel we should have this .

whe are looking for insurance which covers us for liability away from the boat I.E i trip someone up at the local market,[ covered by house ins but not liveaboard boat ins] WE feel we should have this .

I used to have Public Liability insurance when I was a market trader, but I've never heard of it on a personal basis, when away from home. Neither do I think household insurance usually covers you for public liability except possibly on the premises insured. I haven't had a close look, but I would not expect to be covered for damage to others persons or property when roaming at large. That would be a personal insurance thing, wouldn't it?

From my experience of insurance....you are barley covered for anything really.

There are 'get out ' clauses for almost everything.

The big print will say..' WE COVER YOU FOR... BLAH BLAH BLAH'.

The small print will say 'You are covered providing you had you parents, great grandparents and great great grandparents with you at the time'...

I 'thought' I had asked to be covered for my possessions that were on the boat.

The 'small print' said..I WAS covered providing I was with them at the time... and they had been taken by force resulting in hospital treatment.

From my experience of insurance....you are barley covered for anything really.

There are 'get out ' clauses for almost everything.

The big print will say..' WE COVER YOU FOR... BLAH BLAH BLAH'.

The small print will say 'You are covered providing you had you parents, great grandparents and great great grandparents with you at the time'...

I 'thought' I had asked to be covered for my possessions that were on the boat.

The 'small print' said..I WAS covered providing I was with them at the time... and they had been taken by force resulting in hospital treatment.

Insurance has become a con. Our house insurance doubled because we are suddenly in "a flood risk area." I have lived in the house for the best part of 40 years, and you can guess the rest.

Edited by Guest

Perhaps the title of this thread is misleading. It's Personal Liability that you're after (OK, doesn't make sense - but that's the way the insurance industry terms it.

I'm not sure whether an household policy covers you for anything other than liability in connection with the property. Could be wrong.

Any-which-way-up, I'd talk to whoever is writing your boat insurance business. I use Mardon who are part of a group which covers all sorts of risks. Perhaps they could create an extension of a boat policy.

AFAIK general personal liability is unusual as a stand alone policy.

You want public liability insurance in case you accidentally trip someone up in the supermarket? This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

Well the op actually states personal liability, but surely that's insuring yourself for what ever eventuality a bit like holiday insurance if you break your leg. I don't think that covers 3rd party persons though.

Maybe if you're accident prone and have a habit of tripping up then maybe you might need to insure yourself, an ideal candidate would be Frank Spencer laugh.png

Edited by Julynian

I wonder if the forum might cut the op some slack.

It's their first enquiry of the forum and referring to them as 'dumb' is hardly the best welcome to be given.

If perhaps they might clarify what exactly what they need then we might better be able to help them.

Martin you are right.

I think the 'provence' is looking for a policy that is similar to 'public liability insurance' similar to that, that a business requires but to cover him.

The best way to get this insurance would be to to talk to any insurance broker as it is not boating specific, just something he thinks he needs.

I'm not sure what 'risk' your trying to insure against... if you trip over a trolley in the local tesco you would start by claiming of their public liability insurance. if you accidentally trip someone up whilst out in the street... then I don;t see what your 'risk is' - what are they going to sue you for ?

One thing i always pay extra for on house. car and boat is 'legal cover' - very worth while being able to get a solictor/barrister on your side to advise you and argue your case in court... having had to use this once on a driving charge it was priceless and well worth the £15 extra. Maybe thats the ocver you need.

ETA - welcome to the forum !

Edited by jonathanA

I'm not sure what 'risk' your trying to insure against... if you trip over a trolley in the local tesco you would start by claiming of their public liability insurance. if you accidentally trip someone up whilst out in the street... then I don;t see what your 'risk is' - what are they going to sue you for ?

One thing i always pay extra for on house. car and boat is 'legal cover' - very worth while being able to get a solictor/barrister on your side to advise you and argue your case in court... having had to use this once on a driving charge it was priceless and well worth the £15 extra. Maybe thats the ocver you need.

I suspect this is what the op is asking about (we have it too)

We too found it was very beneficial in a sticky time.

Edited by The Dog House

Then you're totally wasting your money, I really didn't think people were still falling for this well documented scam.

The OPs title is misleading. Im sure they mean personal liability!

I think this extract, though american, describes the dilemma:-

Typical homeowners insurance provides limited coverage for personal injuries or property damage to others for which you or members of your family living with you may be legally responsible. The injuries or damages don't have to occur on your property. Your policy will describe what types of claims are covered, and coverage may vary by state, policy type, and insurer, so check with your carrier or agent for particular coverage questions.

Liability protection is comprised of two parts: personal liability and medical payments. Personal liability covers claims or lawsuits against you arising out of bodily injury or property damage to others caused by an accident on your property, or by accidents away from your property, caused by you or family members who live with you. The coverage also pays for your legal defense should you be sued for a covered claim. However, coverage does not extend to losses caused by intentional acts, business related incidents, accidents covered by auto insurance, or claims covered by worker's compensation insurance.

In response, I would have thought any good(?) insurer could arrange this addition to a liveaboard's insurance, either as extra cover or a separate policy.