the bramwith coffee boat.

Featured Posts

I was moored in Thorne over the weekend and there was panic amongst the local boaters on Saturday morning as the milsom's rode into town on their widebeam, everyone thought they were looking for a new mooring but they only wanted a pump out. I could hear him moaning his tits off about the bramwith situation to the poor bloke who was doing his pump out

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear! I'm the new boy on the block and stumbled across this thread. All I can say is well done Dog House for plugging another BOATER who it seems is doing a bit for the waterways. But you do seem to have fired a couple of others up - not sure what their problem is though! I must venture down there one day and sample the product. I always like to give a helping hand to fellow boaters. Maybe see you down there

I was moored in Thorne over the weekend and there was panic amongst the local boaters on Saturday morning as the milsom's rode into town on their widebeam, everyone thought they were looking for a new mooring but they only wanted a pump out. I could hear him moaning his tits off about the bramwith situation to the poor bloke who was doing his pump out

...and that's somehow qualitatively different from you "moaning your tits off" on here?

What a pleasant expression. Are you always so charming?

Oh dear! I'm the new boy on the block and stumbled across this thread. All I can say is well done Dog House for plugging another BOATER who it seems is doing a bit for the waterways. But you do seem to have fired a couple of others up - not sure what their problem is though! I must venture down there one day and sample the product. I always like to give a helping hand to fellow boaters. Maybe see you down there

What an interesting first post!!

Cynical, moi??

Two sugars in mine!

• 2 months later...
dor, on 23 Jun 2014 - 1:52 PM, said:

Well well. Another first post from someone in Doncaster. Yes Graham, I'm a bit cynical as well! They must think we are thick.

A bit of digging around shows he was granted a (presumably) alcohol licence by Doncaster Council last July. I note from his Facebook page he has also swapped boats so the widebeam is now the coffee boat.

The minutes of the meeting however show there was representation from 'interested parties' including CRT

The Sub-Committee was present to consider an application for a new premises licence in respect of the Bean Butty Coffee Boat, Low Lane, Kirk Bramwith, Doncaster, DN7 5SN, following representations being received from a number of members of the public, Doncaster Council Planning Department and the Canal & River Trust, which had not been resolved.

However it doesn't specify what the unresolved issues were, and if they were serious as it is claimed I wonder why a licence was granted?

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/db/chamber/minutes/190713.doc

• 4 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of space for customers, to be honest, and I can't see how any new arrivals get to the kitchen to order without climbing over the legs of the customers who are already there!

It gets worse: there's a "Large seating area for 12 people" but I think 8 of them must know each other quite well as there are only 8 chairs in the photo. With 4 people sitting on someone else's lap and nowhere much to put the cups down, there must be a lot of spilt coffee.

The ad also says "could be easily converted to conventional narrowboat". Well, no doubt there are plenty of boatyards who could do it, and a few DIY boatbuilders with the necessary knowledge, but I'm not sure "easily" is the right word when it's a butty which needs an engine and prop put in! And a bathroom too as far as I can see? Even with my limited knowledge, I think I can safely assert that instead of paying £42500 plus the conversion costs any potential buyer could get a similar boat for much less money elsewhere.

Not a huge amount of space for customers, to be honest, and I can't see how any new arrivals get to the kitchen to order without climbing over the legs of the customers who are already there!

Presumably they would be searching in vain for the Food Hygiene Rating sticker. There is no mention of this in the ad.

You don't currently have to display a food hygiene rating in England.

However it appears their rating is a 5.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/658650/Bean-Butty-Coffee-Boat-South-Bramwith

I'm well aware of this and hopefully we will follow Wales soon.

Plenty of small businesses do have a rating of 5, as I think I said before. I walk past places that don't display their rating prominently. It usually means they have a rating of 3 or less.

I'm well aware of this and hopefully we will follow Wales soon.

Plenty of small businesses do have a rating of 5, as I think I said before. I walk past places that don't display their rating prominently. It usually means they have a rating of 3 or less.

Then I'm not sure of the meaning of your earlier comment.

ed. wrong word choice.

Edited by The Dog House

Merely that we need to get businesses in England to display their ratings if they don't do it voluntarily.

I rather thought this meant something else.....

Presumably they would be searching in vain for the Food Hygiene Rating sticker. There is no mention of this in the ad.

It implies there is something irregular in him not displaying his, but given he has a rating of five and it is easily found on the web I see no irregularity at all. As regards it not being in the ad. I am not sure the rating is transferable to any new business proprietor so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see it.

BTW I have read somewhere that it is set to become the law in England and Northern Ireland to display your rating too but cant find the source now.

Edited by The Dog House

I rather thought this meant something else.....

It implies there is something irregular in him not displaying his, but given he has a rating of five and it is easily found on the web I see no irregularity at all. As regards it not being in the ad. I am not sure the rating is transferable to any new business proprietor so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see it.

I'm interested in food safety, that's all. Pubs that have changed hands often continue to display the FH rating obtained by the previous management, though I don't know if this is legal.

The Food Standards Agency has an app that lets you check the FH ratings but it makes sense to require businesses to display their ratings. Think about those who don't use computers or smartphones.

Edited to make it make some sort of sense.

Edited by mango