Northwich Quay, new moorings, River Weaver

Fred_Smith

Featured Posts

Right in the middle of Northwich, pontoons look to be about 30-35 feet long, packed in like sardines isn't the word for it, £2,500 a year for a 60 foot boat paid in advanceohmy.png But they're having an open day this Sunday 10 - 1.00 (very short days at this time of years) see you all theresmile.png

Looks like its opening shortly, quite a pleasant spot. Anyone moving there?

http://www.northwichquay.co.uk/

Hope their berths are better than their website.

From the above link, simply click the "home" tab.

Gives

www.northwhichquay.com is unavailable or may not exist.

That's been well tested then!

I hope the visitors moorings on the opposite bank have remained - so many marinas have come to an agreement with BW/CRT to close all the nearby visitors moorings.

Should be OK, the rivers pretty wide there and there have always been wharves there in the past - old Nicholsons have them marked down as good moorings for visitors!

Looks to me as though Northwich is aspiring to more class than it can claim at present. The town has little to offer in most ways and hopes to attract a bit of class (and money) by drawing in some well-heeled boaters. But I think it will take more than Waitrose to sustain peoples' interest. We shall see.

Even if I had the cash, I don't think I would feel drawn to this particular spot, but then I have ancient memories of my school days in Northwich, passing the site every day on the bus... nuff said. Good luck Northwich!

I went to have a look today, its seems a bit cramped to me like most marina's, the spot isnt bad for weekend trips but i dont get the feeling it is going to secure they said they would put gates on the jetties to stop people gaining entry but moorers will be sharing the Waitrose car park which i wouldnt fancy leaving my car there for a few weeks at a time. As mentioned above i wouldn't fancy one of the pontoons opposite the River Dane due to the flow which would make it rather tricky. I dont like the idea of not having a full length pontoon and where we are moored at the moment there is at least a boats width of space so you aren't on top of each other. Will be interesting how quickly this marina fills!

Best Regards,

James Postlethwaite

Interesting that this has been developed by a Surrey company. I wonder if there was any consultation with local boaters or any real local undersnding of this waterway. This development seems (to me) quite out of character in the Northwich I know. Perhaps it will spark a change of fortunes.

It will be handy having somewhere on the river selling diesel and gas again.

There's nothing special about Northwich, but nothing terrible either and I would seriously consider keeping a boat on the Weaver, convenient to the lift. I just don't fancy being in a marina.

One of the Weaver lock keepers was telling me last summer, with reference to this marina that they are "turning Northwich around to face the river" to make better use of the natural amenity. So expect a lot of dust!!

One of the Weaver lock keepers was telling me last summer, with reference to this marina that they are "turning Northwich around to face the river" to make better use of the natural amenity. So expect a lot of dust!!

Heard the same from a local council representative, this summer, the part earmarked is the other side of the bridge, down stream of the new marina.

From what I can see from passing on the river you would have to clamber over other peoples boats to get to yours, and if you wanted your boat out you have to push others out of the way. If you could!

No you wouldn't! The boats are moored stern or bow into the bank....whichever is the best exit/entrance for your boat and there is room to move in and out without moving other boats as long as you are careful and can handle a boat properly....its also very secure and tucked away plus it has some very interesting boats moored there....mind you given all the historic boats there you may find that if you have a welded washer special it would feel a bit out of place!

Cheers

Gareth