grass cutting

kris88

Featured Posts

This morning I was woken by fountains cutting the grass.unfortunately I had painted under my gunwal the last bit of protection before winter I thought. All the cuttings flew onto the tacky paint. When I realised I brushed off as much loose as possible. But Theres still loads stuck to the paint.

Anyway I went to complain to the operatives who couldn't care less and where very unapologetic. So asked for there managers number and went to fetch a pen.

When I returned one guy was on the phone to his manager who was going to come and see me.

I went back to my boat and after 30mins there manager turned up with the two guys. They Basicly proceeded to laugh about it, and the attitude was what you going to do about it.

The manager proceeded to start filming me in a menacing way putting his I pad in my face.

He refused to give me his managers or any other number for fountains. I wondered if anybodies got a number or who I should speak to at cart.

I'm not expecting a positive outcome but feel I should complain,as Basicly they acted like thugs trying to menace me.

Regards kris

Ps an apology would have been sufficient but none of them seemed able to do this

We asked them to refrain from cutting the grass next to our long term mooring, as the strimmers have a habit of flicking stones up onto the cabin sides and damaging paintwork. They were very polite and happy to oblige.

You might be able to get their number through C&RT but to be honest I doubt you will get far even if you obtain the number.

Some people will probably just say you were lucky to get the grass cut at all.

Hope your paint work isn't too bad

LOL yeah although we've had the Grass cut on us once but fortunately the paint was several months dry LOL It all washed off easily at a C&RT water point though LOL

It's hardly the grass cutters fault though is it. Are we expecting these people to test weather peoples boats paint is dry before cutting the grass. I think not somehow, and if I had just painted my boat on the towpath side I would have put a sign up WET PAINT

I probably would have laughed even if it was our boat LOL I mean it is funny laugh.png And there's a warning to others, don't paint where the grass hasn't been cut laugh.png

Unfortunately it was before I was awake properly otherwise id have asked.

The paints not to bad ill just have to flatten it off and do it again just when I thought its finished.

Running out of good weather as well

As I say an apology would have done but I feel like complaining as there manager was acting like a right thug.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

This morning I was woken by fountains cutting the grass.unfortunately I had painted under my gunwal the last bit of protection before winter I thought. All the cuttings flew onto the tacky paint. When I realised I brushed off as much loose as possible. But Theres still loads stuck to the paint.

Anyway I went to complain to the operatives who couldn't care less and where very unapologetic. So asked for there managers number and went to fetch a pen.

When I returned one guy was on the phone to his manager who was going to come and see me.

I went back to my boat and after 30mins there manager turned up with the two guys. They Basicly proceeded to laugh about it, and the attitude was what you going to do about it.

The manager proceeded to start filming me in a menacing way putting his I pad in my face.

He refused to give me his managers or any other number for fountains. I wondered if anybodies got a number or who I should speak to at cart.

I'm not expecting a positive outcome but feel I should complain,as Basicly they acted like thugs trying to menace me.

Regards kris

Ps an apology would have been sufficient but none of them seemed able to do this

I'd go straight to Ops Director Vince Moran at CRT: usual email address for CRT, his name with a dot between the words @canalrivertrust etc. I had a rapid response from him the other week when I complained about the state of the rubbish compound at Poynton.

Regards kris

I agree an appology would have been in order and there is no need for aggression or intimidation from anyone over such things. However I do also think it is a hazard of painting on the towpath so not much anyone can do.

By the way what paint were you using that meant it was still tacky the next morning? Most enamels are touchdry in a few hours.

It was really cold last night hence not dry

I've left messages on the answer phones of relevant manager at cart and fountains so see what happens. As I keep pointing out its not the paint persay, its the attitude I got when I approached them.

I'd also question cutting the grass 24 times a year every 2 weeks especially at this time of year.I know this because the manager threatened me with well be back in 2 weeks.

Regards kris

How is this the fault of anyone but yourself? I'm not surprised they laughed at you and didn't take your complaint seriously, I would have told you to bugger off if I was in their position.

so your quite happy with thugs running Things

so your quite happy with thugs running Things

Nothing you described sounds like thugish behavior.

They couldn't care less and were unapologetic because you didn't have a valid complaint and they had done nothing wrong.

The manager filmed you. This was probably for their own protection so that you couldn't claim something happened that didn't. You had already displayed to them that you were willing to blame them for something that wasn't their fault.

Typical British 'blame culture' . Take responsibility for your own actions instead of trying to blame others. The only person at fault here was you.

• Greenie 1

In all fairness we have only one side of the story. The reaction by the OP to the grass anointed wet paint might well of caused the said workers to take umbrage, who knows.

And why would a manager feel the need to start filming the OP "In a menacing way" ?? I wonder if the OP wasn't the one who actually lost his top, again who knows.

Either way it's really funny LOL

• Greenie 1

Wow what interesting posts .... why can't we all behave like normal people and apologise when we have upset someone ... seems much the simpler course of action to me!

There is a view that if you apologies you are admitting it was your fault.

Sometimes if it doesn't make sense then it will be questioned. You're clearly only telling half a story. You must have done something to provoke someone filming you "in a menacing manner" Whatever that means.

I'm astonished that someone having been that incompetent to paint a boat on the towpath without signage, and surely fully realising that the workers involved wouldn't have the slightest clue that a boat had wet paint on it, then expect they should then apologise to you for simply doing their job. That really takes the biscuit IMO and I'm not surprised you got some stick.

I'm sorry but you really are asking to be ridiculed, I would also be wary where I moored my boat from now on too (short Grass or concrete possibly) as I could invisage steel wire being attached to certain workers strimmers the next time they come across your boat.

I'd also question cutting the grass 24 times a year every 2 weeks especially at this time of year.I know this because the manager threatened me with well be back in 2 weeks.

Two points. Folk soon complain if the grass isn't cut so I would not blame CRT for thinking they can't win on this one.

Secondly grass will grow quite well in temperatures we have been experiencing this last month. It has been in the high teens low 20s centigrade during the day and still in double figures over night. I am still cutting the grass at home certainly. It will probably cool off soon though.

Kris 88 did you by any chance use non drying anti-burglar paint by mistake, only unless you did the painting at about 4 or5AM it should have been at least touch dry. Almost all paints are air drying, a little warmth will only speed this up a bit. Not being touch dry after a dry, mild and mist-dew free night for perhaps hours on end suggests to me that dampness or a dew settled on it whilst wet in which case I would expect it to have bloomed badly and will possibly need repainting.

• Greenie 1

It's not so much the paint I was moaning about I know its not ideal to paint at this time of year and it was about 6 o'clock yesterday when I had fineshed. It's the attitude when I approached the operatives that I question but after meeting there line manager they might be forgiven. I'm a human being so I know when 3 people talking at me is intimidating or not. So don't intend to argue with people on here

Regards kris

It's not so much the paint I was moaning about I know its not ideal to paint at this time of year and it was about 6 o'clock yesterday when I had fineshed. It's the attitude when I approached the operatives that I question

But you only approached the operatives to complain about the paint...

It's not so much the paint I was moaning about I know its not ideal to paint at this time of year and it was about 6 o'clock yesterday when I had fineshed. It's the attitude when I approached the operatives that I question but after meeting there line manager they might be forgiven. I'm a human being so I know when 3 people talking at me is intimidating or not. So don't intend to argue with people on here

Regards kris

You don't want to argue yet your happy to come on a forum and make accusations about workers simply doing their job. You now state that they might be forgiven, you simply don't get it, and come across as some kind of pompous ass. You clearly had to approach these people, to get a reaction in the first place, and they clearly did nothing wrong in the first instance, so why??????????. Any back chat you got you fully deserved. You need to get a reality check M8, fecking unbelievable wacko.png