What gets glue/paint off perspex?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Perspex, the kind that cratch "glass" is sometimes made of.

What can I use to remove splashes of paint, and glue from masking tape left on too long from it? Will white spirit prove suitable and effective, or will it damage the perspex? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

The masking tape, petrol, on a coarse rag or kitchen towel, give it time to soak in before rubbing it off.

The splashes, presumably have now dried? Not sure, I would try a blunt but thin edge of some hard plastic, hoping that the splashed surface was originally 'not too clean' and effectively 'flake' it off (break it off in flakes!) if you know what I mean, to avoid scratching the surface.

HTH!

Hi,

Yes - as OldGoldy says the secret is what the paint is and whether it has any solvents of perspex in it.

Things that should not dissolve perspex include petrol, WD40 ( I use it for my bike screen) and perspex polish. As always, try on a bit of spare if you have it, a tiny corner first, or your neighbour's window ( ohmy.png ) before splashing it on all over.

You might be lucky scraping the splashes off that have dried with a credit card...

Nick

However, you don't know that it is actually Perspex (a trade name for polymethyl methacrylate) as it might not be acrylic but something else (eg polycarbonate) which is stronger and reacts differently to different chemicals and solvents. As they generally say 'try it first on an unobtrusive area'.

Our old cratch had clear plastic glazing and adhesive marks where stickers had been removed: these proved impossible to shift, Suffice it to say we now have safety glass in the cratch!

I've got some perspex windows (never quite sure of the difference between perspex and acrylic). I've used very fine wet and dry sandpaper and Brasso to remove scratches. So if you do happen to mark your "cratch glass" trying to remove the paint, all may not be lost. As others have said, try this first on a bit that doesn't show.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 18612224) (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/applications/forums/modules_public/ajax/topics.php on line 1344

This was supposed to be a quote reply of Chimney Chain

42355662.jpg

Edited by Ray T

The paint that is on it is like smudges rather than raised spots, and all bone dry. I have tried using a blade to get it off, also sandpaper, but only succeeded in scratching the plastic both times, so I conclude anything requiring elbow grease rather than solvent is out.

The paint in question is "Rylard high quality boat paint and varnish."

to be honest the paint smudges themselves are not doing my head in too much, but the glue residue from the tape is. Also as it is alongside of the painted parts, what I use/apply to remove the glue needs to not kill the paint, or be able to be applied very precisely.

I assume going the WD40 route would be ok for this!

Edited by Starcoaster

Use petrol or WD40 for the masking tape glue.

Any of the more bothersome paint smudges might be cleared by rubbing with 0000 wire wool. It is likely to leave a cloudy area where you have rubbed so try it on an inconspicuous area first and decide if you find the cloudy effect less bothersome than the paint or vice versa.

It works very well at cleaning off harder surfaces like glass or metal

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-25th-july/product-detail/ps/p/sticky-stuff-remover-gel/

This stuff removes glue and sticky label adhesive really well and doesn't cloud plastics.

Alyson

At £2.69 for 200ml that is a lot more expensive than unleaded!

I guess it depends how much sticky stuff you have to remove and how much you think the convenience of a spray is valued at. Car paint factors will also sell a sticky stuff remover but it is likely to be a minimum 1ltr size or possibly even 5litres as it is widely used in the trade

Quickstart is a very good solvent and will shift paint that has been on for a few days. Brasso is excellent for polishing out scratches on any surface, you just need to persevere.

When I was an apprentice toolmaker one of the jobs we had to do was to polish plastic moulds to a mirror finish which stop molten plastic from sticking to them.

We started with "worn out" wet and dry, then medium carborundum paste, fine carborundum paste then diamond fluid and finally BRASSO.

Phil

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-25th-july/product-detail/ps/p/sticky-stuff-remover-gel/

This stuff removes glue and sticky label adhesive really well and doesn't cloud plastics.

Alyson

I've tried that stuff on masking tape, on gaffer tape glue and even on chimney tar deposits on the paintwork. Hasn't worked on any of them, unfortunately. On the plus side it smells nice.

laugh.png I am not the kind of girl who owns "Brasso." Cleaning even the inside of my boat mainly just involves spraying the curtains with Febreeze while drinking vodka. biggrin.png

You may even find that a cheap Vodka may remove some of the tape glue residues.

There are two methods, try *1 first:

Wet clean tissue with neat vodka, rub the glue deposits gently until traces are removed.

If this doesn't work,

Take the remainder of the vodka, pour into a suitable receptacle and drink it.

Dependent upon volume consumed, the glue deposits will disappear from view within 30 to 90 minutes (for the rest of the evening)

WASTE Vodka by using it to clean stuff with it prior to consumption? My good man, what kind of animal ARE you? :o

However, if the cleaning process by other means fails though, and I spend the winter looking out through the cratch perspex's glue-gunked, dirty seamed glass, I will for sure put part two of your plan into practice.