Best route

Oxford Landing

Featured Posts

Hi, we have just purchased a boat from Mercia Marina and need to get her to Oxford, which is the best route via Coventry Canal then Oxford Canal or go through Birmingham, bearing in mind we only have 10 days, would be grateful for any advice

Depends what you want out of the trip.

Avoiding Birmingham would possibly be quicker but it would be an arguablymore interesting if time consuming route. Plus less daylight hours as the nights start to draw in would make the shorter route more 'do-able'..

Edited by The Dog House

You have to take into account the lock miles, Birmingham is shorter but would probably take longer due to the number of locks.

We decided to go the Coventry route because it takes us longer with a butty, but I'm pretty sure it would be quicker for you too.

Good luck! Have a safe and fun trip.

You have to take into account the lock miles, Birmingham is shorter but would probably take longer due to the number of locks.

We decided to go the Coventry route because it takes us longer with a butty, but I'm pretty sure it would be quicker for you too.

Good luck! Have a safe and fun trip.

On a point of order - canal planner says it is six miles shorter via. the Cov. though not by much 129 versus 123. I thought it would have been more than that though.

If you avoid central Brum it has it as almost identical at 124 miles.

Edited by The Dog House

Personally, I'd go via the centre of Birmingham, because the locks are so quick- you can be through and down in 3 minutes or so, and on the flights manage between 4 and 5 minutes for lock and intervening pound if you know what you're about.

But also because I love Birmingham and wouldn't miss it. Unlike many other places, the centre really embraces the canal.

Hi, we have just purchased a boat from Mercia Marina and need to get her to Oxford, which is the best route via Coventry Canal then Oxford Canal or go through Birmingham, bearing in mind we only have 10 days, would be grateful for any advice

Coventry Canal involves more miles but fewer locks, but more importantly, the locks will all be narrow, if I'm not mistaken. Much easier to deal with, unless you are lucky enough to pair up with another boat on the Hatton flight

Personally, I'd go via the centre of Birmingham, because the locks are so quick- you can be through and down in 3 minutes or so, and on the flights manage between 4 and 5 minutes for lock and intervening pound if you know what you're about.

But also because I love Birmingham and wouldn't miss it. Unlike many other places, the centre really embraces the canal.

You love Birmingham?

Hmmm. (George pauses to consider novel concept).

Are you its mum by any chance?

If you are new to boating then I would certainly go the Coventry Canal route. The Coventry is a surprisingly nice canal whilst the routes into B'ham can be hard work and a bit dirty. Save Brum for another day, its an acquired taste, but one you should try very hard to acquire.

Just done the floating market, all the working boats going past returning from BlackCoutry museum do, another night in the Prince of Wales,i like it here

.............Dave

Thanks very much for everyone's advice we have looked on canal planner and decided to do the Coventry then the Oxford, plan to leave Mercia on the 16th, just hope the trip goes well

Thanks for coming back to us.

So many come on forums ask a question then bog off never to be seen again or make their decision known.

• 4 weeks later...