Boat Safety Cert Test on Monday or Tuesday Need Isolator Labels

DandGNWales

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just spoke with our Boat Safety Examiner, he is inspecting our narrowboat on Monday or Tuesday I can only get to the boat for Sunday so need at short notice a Battery Isolater, Fuel Isolator and Gas Isolator Stickers asap, I have a label making machine, so would this be good enough or do the labels have to be a certain size or shape?

Hi,

Just spoke with our Boat Safety Examiner, he is inspecting our narrowboat on Monday or Tuesday I can only get to the boat for Sunday so need at short notice a Battery Isolater, Fuel Isolator and Gas Isolator Stickers asap, I have a label making machine, so would this be good enough or do the labels have to be a certain size or shape?

Nope. They just need to be near to the isolator and legible. You can paint em on if you wish. So no need to pay owt at all. Though easily obtainable cheaply at chandlers.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Nope. They just need to be near to the isolator and legible. You can paint em on if you wish. So no need to pay owt at all. Though easily obtainable cheaply at chandlers.

Tim

Thanks for your reply Tim, I need to visit Lime Kiln Chandlers as ordered some normal and side anodes and they have charged the extra for the chamfered side anodes and supplied normal ones so will pick up some then

Cheers

Geoff

We bought 3 brass plaques ages ago for Gas Fuel and Battery isolation switch. I fitted the gas locker and fuel cock badges a few days before BSS but completely forgot the battery Iso switch in the engine room. When the BSS guy turned up and started the inspection I suddenly remembered, so I hunted it down and explained I could quickly fit it now. He said no need, It turned out that as the battery isolation switch is in clear view it didn't need labeling.

So if yours is in view you shouldn't need that one.

Cheers for that Mike, that seems the easy method, just got to buy 3 x dry powder 2KG Extinguishers now and a fire blanket and fingers crossed on the rest

Got a branch of Screwfix Direct near you? They keep the extinguishers in stock at a sensible price IIRC, and probably the blanket too. But you should have these already! Labels are just box ticking but firefighting tools are essential, BSS or not.

MtB

We bought 3 brass plaques ages ago for Gas Fuel and Battery isolation switch. I fitted the gas locker and fuel cock badges a few days before BSS but completely forgot the battery Iso switch in the engine room. When the BSS guy turned up and started the inspection I suddenly remembered, so I hunted it down and explained I could quickly fit it now. He said no need, It turned out that as the battery isolation switch is in clear view it didn't need labeling.

So if yours is in view you shouldn't need that one.

If you don't mind me asking were did you get the brass plates from ?

Got a branch of Screwfix Direct near you? They keep the extinguishers in stock at a sensible price IIRC, and probably the blanket too. But you should have these already! Labels are just box ticking but firefighting tools are essential, BSS or not.

MtB

Hi Mike, We only do the handover tomorrow afternoon so not sure what is on board fire fighting wise so thanks for the screwfix tip, but they are a little expensive compaired to Wickes £25 v £13.99 so will go and take a look at our local Wickes

Hi Mike, We only do the handover tomorrow afternoon so not sure what is on board fire fighting wise so thanks for the screwfix tip, but they are a little expensive compaired to Wickes £25 v £13.99 so will go and take a look at our local Wickes

We bought them years before fitting, we probably got them from a chandlery or possibly the Crick show.

These are very nice though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Brass-Plaque-With-Black-Lettering-Label-Battery-Isolation-Switch-/270984927849?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f17f5da69

These are the type we had bought previously.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-battery-isolation-label-canal-boat-cruiser-river-narrow-boat-/251265832787?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a809c5753

I bought some from Wickes...but they did not comply for the BSS and I failed...

They complied for household but not marine...

As has been said...'check the markings'

Check the markings, they have to comply with the BSS, not all extinguishers do.

Thanks for the warning, I thought they were all built to a certain standard ?, anyway will be buying them from Lime Kiln as mail ordered 4 normal anodes and 2 of the tapered side anodes and they sent 6 normal but charged me the extra cash for the tapered anodes, so will also pick up them isolation badges as well

Thanks for the warning, I thought they were all built to a certain standard ?, anyway will be buying them from Lime Kiln as mail ordered 4 normal anodes and 2 of the tapered side anodes and they sent 6 normal but charged me the extra cash for the tapered anodes, so will also pick up them isolation badges as well

Hi...I 'think' its all to do with the amount of time that they can deliver a certain amount of powder.

The household ones deliver less...but the marine specification has been 'upped' in the past year or so.

Best get them from a chandlery...not just for BSS but they may make the difference of life and death.

After all that devise a fire plan. Never forget that the extinguishers are there to HELP YOU ESCAPE. They are not designed to fight big fires.

I know it's your pride and joy but you must get out. Devise a system to hold your treasures, important papers etc in couple of get-at-able places, get off and wait for the proper fire fighters. Two lives are worth much more than any boat.

Our examiner carries stickers with him. If any are missing he sticks them on.

I like examiners who focus on trying to get a boat to pass.

Hi...I 'think' its all to do with the amount of time that they can deliver a certain amount of powder.

The household ones deliver less...but the marine specification has been 'upped' in the past year or so.

Best get them from a chandlery...not just for BSS but they may make the difference of life and death.

Will pick them up on Monday from Lime Kiln on my way to a meeting in Coventry so should be the correct ones

I hope our guy is that organised?, but will pick up the little brass type plates when I pick up the fire extinguishers, but your guy seems to have the correct attitude

Hmmm. In the same vein are examiners who'll accept a Post It note (other brands are available) as a label, if that single thing is all that's wrong, in order to pass the boat.

And I suspect a lot of examiners take the pragmatic attitude that a missing labels are unlikely to result in the death or serious injury of a boater.

Other failed check points such as gas, electrical and fuel installations represent a far higher risk/danger so don't expect a lot of slack in these areas.

MtB

P.S. and firefighting equipment, obviously!

After being on the boat today need to give it the once over as no 12v electrics are working, but never had any tools or meters so suspect a goosed battery, so another 200 plus round trip to do some TLC, so all get ready for some boat fit out questions lol

Labels are just box ticking but firefighting tools are essential, BSS or not.

MtB

To provide an explanation:-

By way of illustration, if anyone reads the report of the boat fire at York this weekend, they'll see that fire-fighters were aboard searching for people without the skippers assistance.

Anyone aboard in an emergency when the usual skipper is not may find the labels useful to close down the relevant systems.

Skippers usually know their boat like the back of their hands, but they aren't around to ask, others have to rely on the available information.

Regards