Shads BCN Plates

Tiggers

Featured Posts

Holland appeared to have had the name "Franklyn" on it at the time, it wasnt the only time I saw a Josher motor with that name on. There were other boats misnamed in the area at the same time too,

Please forgive me as I try to get my head around this a little better. I know many boats were renamed during their lives. If a boat is renamed it would usually involve applying the new name to the boat.

By "misnamed" do you mean renamed or misidentified?

Please forgive me as I try to get my head around this a little better. I know many boats were renamed during their lives. If a boat is renamed it would usually involve applying the new name to the boat.

There was a boat there with "Franklyn" as the name. I recorded it in my list from the time there. It was probably (definatly) incorrect and may have been just applied locally. Ie "Apollo" shown previous was "Swift" we know today.

There is quite a history with boats that got reused for other purposes, particularly maintenance boats, or BW applying names to them that were not the ones they originally carried.

Without going into too much detail, that gets more confusing when a name is given to a boat that is actually a name that another one already has or had. Not sure what are the best examples might be, but thinking of names like "Slough" and "Zodiac".

Additionally some boats lost their names as they got reused for various unglamorous purposes, often acquiring just some kind of identifying number. This as I understand it, (for example) applies to two of the Middle Northwich boats that (unlike "Sickle") remained full length, to the extent that although each again now carry an original name, those names may in fact be transposed, because there is no longer evidence that has been found on the boats as to which was which. (Although it can go the other way, ad maybe careful removal of layers of paint on other boats has established which they actually are - I think that approach may have identified one of the otherwise now anonymous boats of the same type, but may be muddling my boats up!).

Also there are boats where BW skullduggery is strongly suspected, as in the case of butties Ayr and Berkhampstead, where the general evidence is that BW erroneously scrapped Berkhampstead, which had actually found a buyer, and therefore quickly transformed Ayr, (the boat they were supposed to scrap!) to be Berkhampstead. My brother is adamant that the current Berkhampstead is Ayr, having been very familiar with where the dents were in Ayr!

(Before anyone objects, I believe butty Berkhampstead carried various spellings of the name over time, but haven't bothered to look up which one it was originally supposed to have carried!)

I have 4 pictures of Holland with engine, Willow and President along side at Northwich taken by the man who bought it and had it renovated to a trip boat by M. Braine, looks like that there were a lot of photographers about.

I have 4 pictures of Holland with engine, Willow and President along side at Northwich taken by the man who bought it and had it renovated to a trip boat by M. Braine, looks like that there were a lot of photographers about.

Would they be/or have been made available to Ian Tylor?

But these are easy to sort out as there is a paper trail, but surely only two 'Severners' with one cut into two boats names ASH No. 1 and ASH No. 2.

That's partly semantics, though, as to whether you call the two boats made out of Alder Severners or not. If each is taken as a separate Severner then there's three.

I'd be interested in scans, if that's possible and you're happy with that.

So Shad's plate wasnt given to you by a friend then!

It was given to me by a very close dear friend who left us in the 1990's Stop winging so much, boatmen collected anything they found, we had the builders plate too as I remember but thats gone awol atm.

I get sick and fed up of people who were not there at the time trying to rewrite the past, no one gave a F--- about Shad then or any of the other boats regulary sinking at Hayhurst.

We (my ex wife and I ) went to Hayhurst on many occasions removing artefacts on behalf of the BW museum at Stoke Bruerne, we did that as volunteers long before the days of todays "volunteers". much of what you see in EP or Stoke came to the museums that way.

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

To digress a little.

On the photos of Shad in this thread it is clear the the cabin mushroom is offset to the right, over the end of the bed.

In 1979 when we bought Rudd this had the hole for the ventilator in the same place.

My question is, was this a Northwich cabin thing or a two off?

Incidentally when we scrapped Rudd's cabin, not difficult, we found that the left hand plywood cabin side was lettered as British Waterways Columbia on the inside face. Recycling is not new.

Tim