fancy ` coolie hat `

STIG

Featured Posts

We have at the moment a bog standard coolie hat, but we noticed a boat passing with what looked like a hen or a witch that moved with the wind, well I think so anyway, but I can`t find anything on a chandler site, this is probably cos I don`t know what their called. I `m hoping there will be someone with either a picture to post or a name. Any ideas, are they any good

But I bet it will still drop tarry condensate onto your roof like the normal ones do!

I have yet to find a cowl for a boat chimney that doesn't do this, so do without one. We take the chimney off and cap the roof flange in summer. In winter the stove is always going and we have never had any bother from rain coming down the chimney.

But I bet it will still drop tarry condensate onto your roof like the normal ones do!

I have yet to find a cowl for a boat chimney that doesn't do this, so do without one. We take the chimney off and cap the roof flange in summer. In winter the stove is always going and we have never had any bother from rain coming down the chimney.

I don't know why people use them, (Chinaman Hats) I bet the fire draws better without them. I can see the swinging bird cowls doing more to help the fire.

I've had one of these on my chimney for the last 8 years. I used to get the occasional downdraught, but never had one since. It's supposed to increase draw but I don't see how that's possible. Anyway, it's much better than those hats and it stops the rain getting down the chimney when the fire's not on.

Vedetta cowl

vedette-cowl-stainless-steel.jpg

Absolutely correct. Never use one.

Tim

I make my own coolie hats. My chimney is a short length of pipe inserted lightly ''inside'' the collar orifice and the hat never drips any tar onto the roof and I burn all sorts. Maybe its because the chimneys hotter being inside the collar. It seems to be those dopey flash chimneys that overlap the outside of the collar that drip tar from coolie hats and can also ooze gunge out from the bottom.

I've had one of these on my chimney for the last 8 years. I used to get the occasional downdraught, but never had one since. It's supposed to increase draw but I don't see how that's possible. Anyway, it's much better than those hats and it stops the rain getting down the chimney when the fire's not on.

Vedetta cowl

vedette-cowl-stainless-steel.jpg

I had one of these for years and yes it was fine. Only occasionally in strong winds did I got some fierce blast of wind blowing back into the stove. But I never felt the stove had very good airflow through it. So about a year ago I fitted one of these 'Smokey Joe' bird-like cowls; very good! A really healthy airflow through the stove now and no problems with blow back or rain.