Do you always plan your journeys or do you ever just set off?

Zayna

Featured Posts

When you say difficult, do you mean you don't like leaving your boat or it's been difficult to find somewhere safe, or difficult logistically?

Sorry to be a pain and keep going on about it... blush.png

Difficult walking away leaving the boat away from her berth.

We know of several "safe" places we can leave her where she will be safe and protected from rising and falling water levels with easy car access but it doesnt make it any easier leaving her away from "home"

I think if you are doing a ring in particular, a little planning goes a long way. It's no good waking up on the 3rd day realising that you are too far behind. If doing a weekly cruise i think if you choose a reference point for each night's mooring you can consider yourself safe. If you arrive at that chosen point earlier than expected then carry on a bit.

I would like to just set off from our mooring, get to wherever, then turn round halfway through the week and head back. We've had a tough few months and I just want to drift along and not be worrying about leaving the boat and how we're going to get back to the car.

It's only half my boat though, it's not all about me.

I think if you are doing a ring in particular, a little planning goes a long way. It's no good waking up on the 3rd day realising that you are too far behind. If doing a weekly cruise i think if you choose a reference point for each night's mooring you can consider yourself safe. If you arrive at that chosen point earlier than expected then carry on a bit.

I agree entirely, I always do a canal plan printout if i am doing a ring, but use it just to reassure myself I am leaving enough time to get back on time, As long as we are ahead of the plan we know we can relax.

We're here to get away from plans & deadlines LOL

About the nearest thing to a plan we've done is to stay in one place LOL

Lynn's dad is coming on Thursday for a week. Haven't planned a thing. At the end of the day the weather will determine what we do. I'l certainly not contemplate moving in the rain, unless we have maxed a 14 day limit somewhere, then I would probably not bother and risk an overstay LOL

We're heading for Bath "eventually", getting there is one thing and when another. We usually don't like to cruise more than a couple of hours, little point in continuing to run an engine if batteries are fully charged.

Since being on the water we haven't planned any more forward than what time we'll get up.

The beauty of living like this is not knowing from one day to the next what you're doing. Just go with the flow, it really makes life interesting.

I would like to just set off from our mooring, get to wherever, then turn round halfway through the week and head back. We've had a tough few months and I just want to drift along and not be worrying about leaving the boat and how we're going to get back to the car.

It's only half my boat though, it's not all about me.

I'm sure you bought a boat to lessen your stress, not add to it.

You have the right idea there, make him see the error of his way. If you travel out for a week, then you already have a 2 week deadline to get back and move it again in whichever direction .... will this be enjoyable?

edited to add....and VMs....are NOT where you want to spend your days.......the BEST places are moored on a towpath, with a plank to get on and off your boat. FACT.

Not FACT for me. Sometimes I want a visitor mooring and sometimes I don't. The BEST places for me to spend my days are wherever I choose to be at the time, NOT where someone else tells me I should be.

Edited by blackrose

We always plan our trips, but the plan is normally only good for about 48 hrs unless we have to be somewhere.

Take this week came up the Northampton Arm to go to the Blue Lias at Stockton next weekend. Got to the top of the arm and turned left to SB and met Leo 2. turned round and half way up the Buckby flight decided on Foxton. Arrived at the top of Foxton overnight and then went to Welford, the start of a slow cruise to Blue Lias. Next morning set off at 9 and moored at 8-30 at Braunston. Now at Napton Top.

Some plan.

We've always rough planned our trips more to give us a guide as to where we should be if we want to be back when we're due to be. Invariably we end up ahead of the plan and have been known to deviate from it considerably - like the time we arrived at Stratford on a Monday afternoon - about three days ahead of the plan. The plan said we need to be in Brum the following Saturday evening for a concert. Instead of turning round and heading north we went via the Severn and Worcester and still had a day to spare.

We tried an unplanned trip once and hated it. We're not the type of people who can just sit and read or doze (although as we get older we're finding the latter a bit easier but then suffer at night as a result!). At home we're on the go all the time and don't holiday any differently.

I suppose we never grew out of hire boat mode where we felt that we'd paid for the boat and paid to use the canals and that's what we'd do.

But that's us.

• 2 weeks later...

Every journey so far has been researched and planned because they were missions to get the boat from a to b,

As this is the 'Waterways holidays' forum, it's probably safe to say that most people would be making plans to travel from A to B. Unless of course the trip is on a Welsh canal where the plan would be to travel from A to double L

As this is the 'Waterways holidays' forum, it's probably safe to say that most people would be making plans to travel from A to B. Unless of course the trip is on a Welsh canal where the plan would be to travel from A to double L

Actually it could be A to B on a Welsh canal.......................................Abergavenny (well the outskirts, ish) to Brecon.................

I'll get my coat.help.gif

Planning - especially over the winter - is one of my greatest pleasures. I tend to plan a route rather than a schedule though. Finding out what is around in the area we will be passing through. I often have other family members join me so need to think about best places for them to hop on and off the trains/buses/parking. BUT it is always flexible.

If time is short we will also just bimble along for a couple of days and turn round.

As a long distant cyclist my planning is often different and needs to be more specific - such as where to find water and how much to carry - presently planning to ride Adelaide to Darwin so bimbling isn't an option. But as I said I get almost as much enjoyment out of the planning of a journey.

The main thing is to keep on moving, or mine is biggrin.png even if I'm slowing up a bit these days.

Well I did plan.

And we set off in the general direction but got waylaid... so much to see, a little rainy sometimes so we moored up, then there was so much wine to drink...

We didn't get from A to B, more like to A to A and a quarter. Who cares? Not me anymore. Next time I'm fretting about logistics, please remind me that I need not worry. My chap can go and fetch the car from wherever he is, you just give him 10p for the phone and a clean hanky and he's in his element catching buses and trains, while I prepare dinner or go for a wander into a village or just sit reading.

And yes, this is in the Waterways Holidays forum and you would expect to have to plan, and I did, but the best laid plans and all that. It turned out to be a wonderful week even though we only bumbled along. We even doubled back on ourselves at one point so we could see something interesting. biggrin.png

Edited by Zayna

Well I did plan.

And we set off in the general direction but got waylaid... so much to see, a little rainy sometimes so we moored up, then there was so much wine to drink...

We didn't get from A to B, more like to A to A and a quarter. Who cares? Not me anymore. Next time I'm fretting about logistics, please remind me that I need not worry. My chap can go and fetch the car from wherever he is, you just give him 10p for the phone and a clean hanky and he's in his element catching buses and trains, while I prepare dinner or go for a wander into a village or just sit reading.

And yes, this is in the Waterways Holidays forum and you would expect to have to plan, and I did, but the best laid plans and all that. It turned out to be a wonderful week even though we only bumbled along. We even doubled back on ourselves at one point so we could see something interesting. biggrin.png

That's what it's all about Zayna!

Glad you had a good week