Dog poo in the canal

MHS

Featured Posts

or better still bagging and safe removal why should it go in the canal. Sheer couldn't careless laziness IMO.

Bagged and sent to landfill where it can leach into the environment or lay dormant for years?

I bag my dogs mess only when there is absolutely nowhere to flick it (off the path in either direction) and always use compostable bags (not "biodegradable") which break down at more or less the same rate as the shit they contain.

Making a conscious decision to put the crap out of harm's way without bagging it and dumping it in huge concentrations is not "Sheer couldn't care less laziness" IMO.

• Greenie 1

You lot want to pay a visit to the river medway, the tidal section roughly 25 miles long has no facilities at all pump outs etc and there are quite literally hundreds of liveaboards!

You can see the sheen/scum/shit on the tide in or out, most boats have a brown line as their water line, i kid you not.

Once in wet suit doing my anodes under sterndrive desperately trying to keep my chin out of the water as it all started to come in with the tide!

Ref the dogs we always went with walking sticks and were shit flickers into the hedgerow mainly other peoples lazy bar stewards.

Lynall

Edited by lynalldisocvery

Correct me if im wrong but fish roe is another word for fish eggs? If so, then granted it isn't the same as what comes out of the backside, but it is still 'excreted' out of the body. Hence my comparision!

Happy to.

Contrary to popular belief faeces is not "excreted" from the body as, from an anatomical perspective, it never enters it.

If you look at the body as a (badly misshapen) ring doughnut then the alimentary canal is the hole in the middle.

Food is passed through the alimentary canal and the good bits are extracted and allowed in whereas the the nasty bits pass straight through and "egested" without ever, technically, entering the body.

"Excreta" is stuff that the body metabolises itself to get rid of, such as urine and CO2.

Eggs are not classed as "Excreta" either.

I still and will always think that anybody who puts dog faeces deliberately into a canal must be too lazy to either pick it up or flick it the other way where it will cause less problem.

Your comment and observation made me chuckle.

We are currently out cruising with not a poo bin or otherwise in sight and as I haven't brought our poo spade along with us I've bagged Paddy's processed food as we go. There are presently six bags nestling on our roof contained within a scented holding bag awaiting the next disposal point.

Opinionated I may be, but lazy I'm definitely not!

Interestingly the first canal boat i hired had a raw water toilet and the contents of the toilet were pumped straight over the side! ... That was a while ago now and things have moved on!

Nick

Still happens in France

Within CRT, our Health and Safety policy is very strict about the risks of riverr ahd canal water contamination. One of our managers recently fell into the canal and contracted Weils diseaase. He was seriously ill in hospital for aweek or so and off work to recuperate. Weils disease is a real risk and is present in most of our waterways, especially those that pass through inhabited area. Rats and other vermin, domestic cows and I believe dogs pass this into the water anhd if people ingest the water, either through swallowing, or eating food and smoking with contaminated hands, swallowing the water etc, can lead to infection. I work near the water and with boaters ropes all day and before every occassion of eating or drinking, I will steralise my hands either by washing or using the alcohol hand rubs provided.

But how big a risk is it really. Just consider all the stand up paddlers, windsurfers, dingy sailors and free water swimmers, not forgetting all the kids splashing in streams.

I am not a dog hater. had my own over the years but this problem is getting worse by bone idle dog owners who can not be bothered to pick the mess up. it is unsightly and disgusting. I wonder what people would say if I started shitting on the tow path.

They would probably say "Look; Puckle's shitting on the towpath!"

You are correct though and it is a problem caused by bone idle dog owners.

I am not a dog hater. had my own over the years but this problem is getting worse by bone idle dog owners who can not be bothered to pick the mess up. it is unsightly and disgusting. I wonder what people would say if I started shitting on the tow path.

OK providing you bag it!

Sorry, but that is a cop-out.

Certainly, it is very welcome when a council provides suitable bins, and even (as in the case of Stockport) they sometimes supply dispensers full of bags, because it makes it so much easier. However, it isn't THEIR responsibility, it is MINE.

If my dog craps, it is up to me to remove that crap to a suitable place, and the fact that the suitable place may mean takingit back to the boat, and disposing of it at the next CRT rubbish bin is not a good reason for leaving it under a hedge or in the canal.

Why is a cop-out? Did I not say that we always pick/or flick after our dogs??? We have found that its usually townies that don't scoop. I fact I can be an embarrassment sometimes by asking people if they would like me to provide them with a bag to pick up after their dog.

And if its good enough for the Forestry Commission to advise to flick under a hedge then its good enough for me. Better there than stuck on someones shoe!! When we moor I always walk the length of the boat to see if there's anything offensive waiting to be trodden in. And I invariably find something which I dispose of because I don't want to stand in it and bring into our boat.

And yes there are times when our cratch stinks like a poo bin cos there are numerous bags awaiting disposal.

You look after yours and we'll take care of ours. Thankyou!

We have a small metal bin with a lid on the bank, in which we put our bagged dog poo in and dispose of it once a week. I would rather people flicked it in the hedge than in the canal/river, but then I have seen a boater pumping their pump out into the water, now that really is disgusting and bone idle.

Within CRT, our Health and Safety policy is very strict about the risks of riverr ahd canal water contamination. One of our managers recently fell into the canal and contracted Weils diseaase. He was seriously ill in hospital for aweek or so and off work to recuperate. Weils disease is a real risk and is present in most of our waterways, especially those that pass through inhabited area. Rats and other vermin, domestic cows and I believe dogs pass this into the water anhd if people ingest the water, either through swallowing, or eating food and smoking with contaminated hands, swallowing the water etc, can lead to infection. I work near the water and with boaters ropes all day and before every occassion of eating or drinking, I will steralise my hands either by washing or using the alcohol hand rubs provided.

He was either very very lucky or very very unlucky to catch that from falling in the canal only once considering the tens of thousands who not only swim but fish, live on the water and play in it including their dogs. I find this story a little hard to believe actually as there are only around 40 cases in the whole of the U.K every year. Maybe you should have visited the Bull poo page instead.

He was either very very lucky or very very unlucky to catch that from falling in the canal only once considering the tens of thousands who not only swim but fish, live on the water and play in it including their dogs. I find this story a little hard to believe actually as there are only around 40 cases in the whole of the U.K every year. Maybe you should have visited the Bull poo page instead.

Do you know, I dont give a monkeys fart whether you believe it ir not.

Still happens in France

But how big a risk is it really. Just consider all the stand up paddlers, windsurfers, dingy sailors and free water swimmers, not forgetting all the kids splashing in streams.

I believe it was on the Erewash

Why is a cop-out? Did I not say that we always pick/or flick after our dogs??? We have found that its usually townies that don't scoop. I fact I can be an embarrassment sometimes by asking people if they would like me to provide them with a bag to pick up after their dog.

It is a cop-out, because you excuse flicking rather than picking up on the grounds that nobody provides you with any bins.

I don't want any extra crap in the canal or "under the hedge" (it never is actually under the hedge is it)

A few weeks ago we were moored in a reasonably remote spot. We have a dog and always clear up any do dahs.

On one morning when George was busting to 'go' I took him out. I walked ten yards or so long the tow path to find a rather large deposit smack in the middle of the path. I'm absolutely sure that it never belonged to George.

There were two other boats nearby neither of which had pets with them, to save them thinking we were irresponsible dog owners I removed this pile, a task which I find very unpleasant (George's seems more 'family' friendly). Anyway, in the meantime George had done his bit for the community and I duly cleared his away as well.

You get to know what (yours) looks like.

Martyn

Sorry just getting an error 404 from that link.

Sadly so am I, yet it works ok elsewhere.

We are dog owners and we completely agree. It is infuriating when you see people walking their dogs and they are either oblivious to what's being deposited behind them or completely apathetic to the unsightly mess and potential dangers to children contained within.

A few weeks ago we were moored in a reasonably remote spot. We have a dog and always clear up any do dahs.

On one morning when George was busting to 'go' I took him out. I walked ten yards or so long the tow path to find a rather large deposit smack in the middle of the path. I'm absolutely sure that it never belonged to George.

There were two other boats nearby neither of which had pets with them, to save them thinking we were irresponsible dog owners I removed this pile, a task which I find very unpleasant (George's seems more 'family' friendly). Anyway, in the meantime George had done his bit for the community and I duly cleared his away as well.

You get to know what (yours) looks like.

Martyn

I've done that too on many an occasion rather than have the other boaters or walkers believe that it was our Paddy's deposit and as you say, you get to know what your own dog's mess looks like.

Still happens in France

Well quite. A risk is a risk, not a certainty. Not all dogs carry toxoplasmosis; not all humans carry cummunicable diseases all the time; not all canal water is contaminated with Weils disease. And even if you are exposed to any of these, then a whole range of factors will affect whether you become ill or how ill you get. I have met one person who has had Weils disease, so I don't doubt that Jelunga has as well (I also know someone whose partner died of it) but thousands of boaters don't, despite the fact that they must be exposed to it. Both those I know of were working with boats all day every day.

I am certainly not going to get paranoid about washing my hands every time I touch a rope.

It is a cop-out, because you excuse flicking rather than picking up on the grounds that nobody provides you with any bins.

I don't want any extra crap in the canal or "under the hedge" (it never is actually under the hedge is it)

Stop putting words in my mouth.............if there are bins we pick it up and put in it the bin, even if its overflowing. My grumble is that if councils want us to pick it up and bin they should ensure they are regularly emptied. After all, it must be awful for the local residents to have to put up with that.

We flick if we are in the middle of nowhere. And unless you actually are standing behind us when we do this I don't think you are qualified to comment on our methods. As for putting it in the canal we NEVER do this.

Savvi???

Whilst in the park, a chap with a large Labrador let his dog crap in front of me while he carried on chatting on his mobile, i offered him a bag but he just looked at me and carried on walking. So I picked it up and walked to the car park where I was going anyway, asked a young couple if they were with the chap and the Labrador and they said no and pointed to his car. I put the said bagged dollop on the drivers side, and said to the couple, when he comes back, if he says anything to tell him I left it there as he dropped it in the park. Hopefully it embarrassed him enough to not do it again.