Dog poo in the canal

MHS

Featured Posts

Interesting, I didn't know that cats were carriers.

Cats are the definitive carrier. Globally something between 30% and 40% of cats are infected and carrying.

It is extremely rare for human infection to be attributed to canine faeces.

Transmission of Toxocara to humans is usually through ingestion of infective eggs.[10][16]T. canis can lay around 200,000 eggs per day. [17] These eggs are passed in cat or dog feces, but the defecation habits of dogs cause T. canis transmission to be more common than that of T. cati. [2][16] Both Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati eggs require a several week incubation period in moist, humid, weather, outside a host before becoming infective, so fresh eggs cannot cause toxocariasis.[2][9][16][17]

Many objects and surfaces can become contaminated with infectious Toxocara eggs. Flies that feed on feces can spread Toxocara eggs to surfaces or foods.[8] Young children who put contaminated objects in their mouths or eat dirt (pica) are at risk of developing symptoms.[2][4][8] Humans can also contaminate foods by not washing their hands before eating.[9][10]

Humans are not the only accidental hosts of Toxocara. Eating undercooked rabbit, chicken, or sheep can lead to infection; encysted larvae in the meat can become reactivated and migrate through a human host, causing toxocariasis. Special attention should be paid to thoroughly cooking giblets and liver to avoid transmission.[2][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis

Looking at things from the dog's angle (infinitely preferable creatures to humans):

IF I understood things correctly, leaving dog excrement in the open may be unhealthy for dogs themeselves, since it encourages the spread of lungworm, which can be fatal to dogs and other animals. Seemingly, the lungworm lava is spread in the excrement of infected dogs (and other animals), then slugs and snails eat the lava from the excrement. Dogs like to eat snails, so can then get infected by the lava. Seemingly there is a big increase of lungworm amongst dogs, so perhaps bagging and binning of excrement is the only way? Again IF I understand things correctly smile.png

Edited by Guest

Having grown up in the country, I am a bit of a poo connoisseur. In the order of nastiness are:

1. Cat - nasty stuff that hides in my best flower beds which the dogs finds and eats then wants to kiss you. Started using gardening gloves because of those darned cats.

2. Dog - can be found on every horizontal walking surface, sticks to your shoe treads and clings for dear life. Always finds its way into the house on someone from time to time.

3. Duck, goose, swan - when fresh and green it stinks and sticks to your shoes. Also turns my nice white shoes green and rarely can be totally washed out. Dogs also love this as a snack and to roll in.

4. Cow - disgustingly slippery and the smell lasts longer than my best perfume. Dogs roll in this. Yuck.

5. Sheep - small but still sticky. Also a nice snack for doggies.

6. Horse - much drier than a cow and rarely sticks to my shoes. My dogs like to carry some in their mouth when walking presumably for a later snack.

I think if you are one of those lazy SOB's that cannot carry a bag or two in your back pocket of the jeans covering your stupid fat a$$, then kick it into the hedge. Snails and slugs like to eat it as I am sure foxes and others as a snack. The only way a dog poop will float is if there it too much fat in their diet. I say keep it out of the water as there is too much going into it now.

And for those who like to bag it and be helpful, then carry the stuff home and put it in the bin. How can you be so aware that it is better to bag it and then toss the bag on the ground or hedge? How dense are you? Get yourself a small purse or bag from the boot sale and carry it with you. Toss the bagged poop in and carry it home if you are too snooty to be seen carrying doggy bags or if they are just too heavy for you, you lazy poophead. blink.png

I think it is just plain laziness that keeps poop on the path or sidewalk. No one wants to carry anything with them. They leave home with the dog, collar, and leash but forget why they left the house in the first place. TO GO POOP. Okay, my rant is done. Poop on the path is a pet peeve of mine.

Jerra, on 08 Sept 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

The difference to me is that people can do something about dog faeces contamination is we can prevent it. Secondly (and I am prepared to be corrected on this) the main threat from wildfowl currently would be salmonellosis where as toxoplasmosis is harder to deal with.

Let's get this into perspective.

in our pound which is approximately 100 metres x 12 metres x depth, flowing and containing god knows how many million litres of water, are you seriously suggesting that the occasional plop of dog poo is going to cause such a catastrophe in such a vast volume of water? What might you imagine, is the ratio of water per milligram of faeces.

ETA You neglected to include osmosis in your isis's

Edited by Doorman

Let's get this into perspective.

Sorry but for me one person infected with Toxocaria is one too many. Obviously you don't mind the risk (to yourself and others particularly children).

When it is so easily avoidable by either flicking it into the hedge or better still bagging and safe removal why should it go in the canal. Sheer couldn't careless laziness IMO.

Jerra, on 08 Sept 2013 - 6:05 PM, said:

Sorry but for me one person infected with Toxocaria is one too many. Obviously you don't mind the risk (to yourself and others particularly children).

When it is so easily avoidable by either flicking it into the hedge or better still bagging and safe removal why should it go in the canal. Sheer couldn't careless laziness IMO.

Once again, let's get this into perspective.

Adjacent to our pound is a grazing field that on occasion is littered with cows and their outpourings. Flies that carry disease from one source to another feast on these mountains of crap, further infecting them with even more undesirable contaminants.

As the field is inclined towards the canal when it rains, where do you think the downstream of infected rain water ends up? This example can be multiplied countlessly along the canal system throughout the country and I don't see anyone complaining about the inherent risks involved with cow dung.

Correct me if im wrong but fish roe is another word for fish eggs? If so, then granted it isn't the same as what comes out of the backside, but it is still 'excreted' out of the body. Hence my comparision!.

Not a very good comparison. Hens excrete eggs but in my personal view fried eggs are much superior to fried chicken shit.

• Greenie 2

Once again, let's get this into perspective.

Adjacent to our pound is a grazing field that on occasion is littered with cows and their outpourings. Flies that carry disease from one source to another feast on these mountains of crap, further infecting them with even more undesirable contaminants.

As the field is inclined towards the canal when it rains, where do you think the downstream of infected rain water ends up? This example can be multiplied countlessly along the canal system throughout the country and I don't see anyone complaining about the inherent risks involved with cow dung.

Few if any parasites in that lot. Cattle are regularly treated for husk and worms. None which cause blindness and are as difficult to deal with as toxocaria.

You have your opinion I have mine and I suspect that is how it will stay. I still and will always think that anybody who puts dog faeces deliberately into a canal must be too lazy to either pick it up or flick it the other way where it will cause less problem. Obviously I prefer them to pick it up.

I cant belivee the dam idleness of folk, they get a dog and enjoy it, like we do kids, yes folk treat kids like pets, cant arsed to look after them and there biproducts.

There is no excuse what so ever not to clean up after there dogs, the reason i honestly will not have a dog because it make me gag picking it up. the shit that is not the dog.

Just to the point, if you have a dog then clean up after it, if it did its thing in there garden would they leave it there, i can put good money on it that they wouldnt, the reason they let it shit all over elsewhere

no excuse you lazy twonkers, respect please for other folk, if no then done expect respect back.

I must admit I "stick and flick" where possible as recommended by the Forestry Commission. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-6mhjxj . I am not sure about flicking it into the canal though .... I will read peoples opinions on that with interest ... I do agree the absolute worst is to bag it and then throwing the bag into a tree or hedge.

^^^^^ what he said smile.png

We would gladly bag and bin were there enough bins provided to do so...............unfortunately there isn't and when we do come across them they are overflowing................as per last night at Wheaton Aston.

Better in the bottom of a hedge out of harms way to decompose................

Edited by tillergirl

Once in a while I see a dog owner (often boaters) shovel up their dog's business and deposit it in the cut.

I don't know whether to think urgghh that's disgusting, or whether its a drop in the ocean and doesn't matter.

If every dog owner did it, it would reinforce my thoughts of washing my hands after handling the boats ropes.

It's certainly better than bagging it, then chucking the bag to swing in the hedgerow.

What do others think?

I thought I read (on here actually) that dog poo does not degrade very well in water and is better in the hedgerow than the cut.

As a dog owner I carry empty bags all the time, they take no room at all. My worst fear would be being out with no bag and dog decides to crap in the middle of he path.

What did we do before poo bags? I remember walking to school and finding it on the bottom of my shoe now and again thinking I must watch where I'm walking.

The towpath telegraph reports that the CaRT management are going to do their bit to clean up the shit. They are now working in conjunction with Keep Britain Tidy and the Dogs Trust to organise 'The Big Scoop campaign.' And like Oliver Hardy said to Stan Laurel 'that's another fine mess you got me into.'

However, as the more perceptive amongst you will have already gathered. The management will not be actually scooping the poo. That rewarding task is apparently down to the first battalion of the canal litter picker volunteers. So the volunteer pooper scoopers will be de-pooping the towpath along the Rochdale Canal between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. A task that will no doubt draw in even more volunteers to help. After all, ten billion flies can't all be wrong!

Karen Jackson, environmental scientist at CaRT said: “Dog fouling is becoming a huge problem for us along this section of canal.” I can't help but think Karen should get out more and examine the other two and a half thousand miles of inland waterways. She would then soon come to realise that she now has a 'jobbie' for life, so to speak.

Here is my little ditty all about your dogs little shitty habits performed on the canal towpath. You can sing along to the tune of 'My Favourite Things' from the Sound of Music.

Dog crap on the towpath, puts shit on my shoes;

why bring them down here; to do their dog poo's;

keep them in your garden, fenced and penned;

boaters don't want the shit from, your four legged friend.

When the dog shites, when its pee stinks, when I'm feeling mad,

I simply remember your dog doing things, then I don't feel so glad.

Ear drops for canker, then bitten on finger;

poo that's steaming, and I don't want to linger;

shit in small bags with knots, tied at one end;

I don't want bagged shit from, your four legged friend.

Big ones and small ones, all are the same;

slip on a fresh one, and end up quite lame;

when will the dog owner, finally comprehend;

walkers don't want the shit from, your four legged friend.

Grab a bag and pick it up, and use the poo bin;

the shit that is coming out, is from what you fed in;

its your shit not our shit, and you can't defend;

ramblers don't want the shit from, your four legged friend.

Dog bins are now provided, for dog shit alone;

the results of its digest, of an old smelly bone;

come along now pick it up, you can start a new trend;

anglers don't want the shit from, your four legged friend.

Dogs can provide us, with many kinds of exotic diseases;

not limited to those spread, by coughs sniffs and sneezes;

a wriggling tapeworm, that hang from your dogs rear end;

children don't want the infection from, your four legged friend.

Dog shit does not, a good fertilizer make;

please take it home, for goodness sake;

heartworms parvo hookworms, and more;

spread by scraping, its arse on the floor.

If you must walk the dog, then take a trowel;

dog are like you, and have movement of bowel;

flick the shit into the cut, and make a new start;

we don't want to keep you and your dog shit apart.

One day with luck, there will be a knock at your door;

in through your letterbox, the dog shit will pour;

from boaters and walkers to fishermen that you offend;

cyclists returning the shit from, your four legged friend.

The Alternative Canal Laureate

Evan Keel

It is easy to train. Puppy to go on command so the "job" is done in your garden before walks, less easy with older dogs. Our 4 previous dogs would all respond to a command, our present dog who was 4 when we adopted her wil to a lesser degree while our new puppy has got the hang of it in 4 weeks.

Phil

Isn't this just back to the "all self pump outs should be banned" thread? Some of us are considerate (Dave and I always have a pocketful of poo bags and never ever leave a Millie poo for someone to tread in) and some of us just let their dogs shit everywhere and do nothing about it. I've never had so much dog shit on my shoes as in our first year on the canals - I instinctively look where I'm treading nowadays so it's not such an issue.

France definitely has a similar problem - we found many lovely cobbled streets and alleys littered with dog poo.

We just do our bit as responsible dog owners.

Edited by Ange

You completely miss the point. Cow dung & horse doesn't contain the harmful parasites that can cause blindness. Also cows & horses eat hay/crass where as dogs eat processed food products very similar as do humans, their poo is little different to human feces but worse in the respect it can carry toxoplasmosis.

Nothing to do with dog poo at all.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii.[1] The parasite infects most genera of warm-blooded animals, including humans, but the primary host is the felid (cat) family. Animals are infected by eating infected meat, by ingestion of feces of a cat that has itself recently been infected, and by transmission from mother to fetus. Cats are the primary source of infection to human hosts, although contact with raw meat, especially pork, is a more significant source of human infections in some countries. Fecal contamination of hands is a significant risk factor.

It's not in the same league as dog shite, that's my point, lugworm doesn't causes blindness wacko.png

nope but lungworm kills cats and dogs.

^^^^^ what he said smile.png

We would gladly bag and bin were there enough bins provided to do so

Sorry, but that is a cop-out.

Certainly, it is very welcome when a council provides suitable bins, and even (as in the case of Stockport) they sometimes supply dispensers full of bags, because it makes it so much easier. However, it isn't THEIR responsibility, it is MINE.

If my dog craps, it is up to me to remove that crap to a suitable place, and the fact that the suitable place may mean takingit back to the boat, and disposing of it at the next CRT rubbish bin is not a good reason for leaving it under a hedge or in the canal.

• Greenie 2

No bias- just interested- Is there any environmental impact from the manufacture and disposal of plastic poo bags

The manufacture of anything has an environmental impact.

Picking up with plastic bags is fairly environmentally unfriendly. Compostable bags are far more friendly.

To my mind, even if we are trying to be environmentally friendly, we regularly accept a degree of environmental impact because it serves our needs. We may try to minimise that impact, but we don't elimimnate it. In this case, the aim of reducing the spread of harmful disease justifies an environmental impact, and we simply need to mitigate that impact.