Who has double glazing?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm working out what areas of the boat are my priority to get some more insulation on for winter and I keep thinking that no matter how well insulated I make the walls I still can feel the heat being sucked out the room on a snowy day through the windows.

I am considering how I could make some double glazed windows for the boat and have a quote for £25 for the glass for each window and I would then build the frame.

I'm just wondering who else has changed to double glazing and whether you noticed much difference? Is it worth doing?

Cheers

Doodlebug

It wasn't pretty (although I got used to it) and we were usually only on the boat when it was dark, or getting dark, but for winter we taped bubble wrap to the windows. It seemed to make a noticeable difference to retaining temperature, and could easily be removed.

Hi

I have single glazing and never ever get cold. Minus 40 wouldnt bother us. I do however have a 20kw solid fuel stove when opened up biggrin.png though of course as with all solid fuel stoves it is easily regulated so I dont need to fry unless we want to.

Tim

As I was living aboard last year I thought I might try the film from Wilkinson and also use some double wall 10mm polycarbonate sheet on remaining windows. I chose to use magnetic tape to fix. DON'T. The glue cant take the cold and the holding power is stretched to its limits. The most user friendly options is the film IMHO.

Paul

Ps

Would use polycarbonate sheets if I could work a good holding solution.

Plastic film from Wilco has been great for us every winter for years. Last lot cost about a tenner. 3 windows take me under an hour to fit, and at least once the stuff has lasted right through the summer and a second winter.

Minor punctures are easily fixed with sellotape.

It's very effective as insulation and draught roofing.

The disadvantages are the inability to open droplights on fitted windows (but 2ndary rigid panels would be the same) and the sticky residue from the double sided tape left on window frames.

There is a chap on the forum who has made secondary double glazing successfully in his boat. He posted a thread where he described exactly how he did it with photos. I have a feeling it was Roger Gunkel but I might be wrong

As I was living aboard last year I thought I might try the film from Wilkinson and also use some double wall 10mm polycarbonate sheet on remaining windows. I chose to use magnetic tape to fix. DON'T. The glue cant take the cold and the holding power is stretched to its limits. The most user friendly options is the film IMHO.

Paul

Ps

My secondary glazing under the Houdinis has been good for 6 years using magnetic tape!

Regards

Pete

I'm afraid Roger has given up on CWDF due to all the stick he got over the Popes Corner fiasco,he told me he reckon life is too short to put up with that sort of thing,afterall he was only reporting facts.

Phil

That's a shame

Anyway I've found the thread I was thinking about

Clicky

Paul

Ps

wow!is that your girlfriend or wife in the avatar?i like her dress.biggrin.png

i was going to go for the secondary double glazing last year and got so far that i removed the riveted on pieces that hold on the dropback pane in preperation . i think i will go for it this year.the only draw back i found was that in the summer when the dropback pane was left open driving rain would get in.has anybody a solution to this problem as i would like to remove the sdg in the summer.having to replace these pieces every summer would be a pain. paul.

Hi yes both my boats have had double glazing the first was UPVC that was made for caravans which I had fitted and it was great! no condensation and very warm and as it only stuck out a little looked good. My new boat has aluminium portholes and to be honest they are crap no condensation on the glass but he frames are soaking in the winter so is the wood as the airgap is not that large they do mildly better than single glazing! So the answer is for me UPVC as all those house cant be wrong can they?

Peter

Ps the frames on my first boat were light oak in colour

My secondary glazing under the Houdinis has been good for 6 years using magnetic tape!

Regards

Pete

Pete ... could you let me know the source. Also can you let me know what material you are using?

Ta.

Paul

wow!is that your girlfriend or wife in the avatar?i like her dress.:D

The lady in the picture is Carla. Captain Kremmen's faithfull companion. ;-)

Paul

I'm afraid Roger has given up on CWDF due to all the stick he got over the Popes Corner fiasco,he told me he reckon life is too short to put up with that sort of thing,afterall he was only reporting facts.

Phil

Yes he has packed in. A great shame he was by far one of the best posters on the forum for sensible advice and opinions on many subjects.

Tim

Pete ... could you let me know the source. Also can you let me know what material you are using?

Ta.

Paul

The lady in the picture is Carla. Captain Kremmen's faithfull companion. ;-)

Paul

how faithfull do you rekon she might be and do you have her number?